Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 32gb playbook and am a little concerned that it arrived with only 13% battery power left. I was under the impression that they are sold at 40% as that's the optimum resting level - so does this mean my playbook has been sitting on a shelf for a very long time, and should that be a worry?

Prior this, I had a playbook 16gb (which I returned for this one) and that arrived with about 40% battery power. I was just a little alarmed as when I first switched the 32gb playbook on, a warning flashed on the screen telling me to plug it in the power adapter, as it was critically low. I just hope this doesn't indicate that the battery is now poor and not up to scratch..

Btw, I've been a BB phone user for years and whilst this is my first ever post on these forums, this site has been an amazing source for information and help.
    01-31-12 12:14 PM
    Mine needed charging when I got it too. I don't think you have any reasons to be worried. There were no problematic batches so it does not really matter if it was or not sitting on a shelve waiting for a loving buyer to take it home.

And welcome to the forums.
    01-31-12 12:17 PM
    Mine had 20% when first opened it in november and i have not had a single problem.

The same goes for my brother and my girlfriends.
    01-31-12 12:20 PM
    Get the Battery Guru app and see what the battery health is.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-31-12 12:24 PM
    I suggest you give it a full night load with the wall charger and see tomorrow what's its shape.
    Difficult to know what is the "average battery load" for a new device.
    I presume it depends of many factors, including temperature and time stored ...
    kbz1960 and rotorwrench like this.
    01-31-12 12:36 PM
    I don't remember my charge level when new but I do remember the PB needing a charge before the first update(under 20%). This from PB bought on release day so I can't imagine it was sitting around too long.
    01-31-12 12:43 PM
    Mine was at 25% in May when I first got it, and its been operating at peek performance since first full charge. I don't think you should be worried about anything
    01-31-12 12:48 PM
    I second louzer. Get Battery Guru and check the health.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-31-12 12:51 PM
    Great, thanks. Will get battery guru and keep it charged overnight. But from the sounds of it I should be okay, phew..
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-31-12 01:09 PM
    My friend bought a floor model that had been shelved for possibly months prior, and it was at 0% out of the box. Charged it up overnight, and it's been all tickety-boo since. Don't sweat it.
    01-31-12 01:12 PM
    Tickety-boo? I thought that was an typical English expression ;-)
    01-31-12 01:56 PM
    It is. How do you know I'm not English? Or just a fan of Red Dwarf?
    01-31-12 02:36 PM
    Welcome aboard!!! Don't neglect to read through the Newbie Tips and Tricks sticky also.

My first PB battery was at 12% when I got it. No problems so far either. Also, as recommended above, you really should give all new lion batteries a good full charge before use. I don't know from experience if it affects the overall battery life but an ELT (emergency location transmitter) manufacturer rep we deal with is very stern in his recommendation of this practice. We have a number of li and lion powered tools and calibration instruments and asked his advice on proper maintenance of those batteries. Good enough for an ELT manufacturer, good enough for me.
    01-31-12 03:23 PM
    Fully charging Li-Ion or Li-Po batteries has no effect on anything but the battery meter.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-31-12 03:25 PM
    When I got my Playbook, it was at 20%. There was a piece of paper packed with it from RIM telling me to charge it fully before updating...I know the other 4 I bought were exactly packaged the same way. No need to worry...Not one single problem at all with any of them.
    01-31-12 03:29 PM
    Fully charging Li-Ion or Li-Po batteries has no effect on anything but the battery meter.
    Do you mean a full charge and discharge? We have to that every 3 months or 40 short cycles for calibration. But we were also told that topping off frequently has shown in research to extend the life of li-ion batteries whereas deep discharges shortened the life. At work, we were used to dealing with nicad and mnhid batteries so practiced deep discharge schedules. We'd get about 1 to 1 1/2 years. With frequent top offs, we've doubled the life of our li-ion battery devices. Our experience, so I practice it.

I wonder what Peter says about this.
    01-31-12 04:10 PM
    Oh dear, I didn't charge mine fully before updating. But it was on charge whilst updating.. Oh well, it's done now.
    01-31-12 07:14 PM
    The OOBE only requires that you have a minimum of 20% battery charge to initiate the OS update, and recommends you be plugged in to AC. You're good.
    01-31-12 07:51 PM
    Don't worry, I'm sure it didn't hurt a thing. It's a recommendation, not a law . I've done it before, due to my impatience. Just give it a good charge when convenient.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-31-12 at 08:00 PM.
    01-31-12 07:54 PM
    ... But we were also told that topping off frequently has shown in research to extend the life of li-ion batteries whereas deep discharges shortened the life. At work, we were used to dealing with nicad and mnhid batteries so practiced deep discharge schedules. We'd get about 1 to 1 1/2 years. With frequent top offs, we've doubled the life of our li-ion battery devices. Our experience, so I practice it.

I wonder what Peter says about this.
    I'd say a couple of things, but maybe nothing conclusive:

1. I consider it impossible to "deeply discharge" the PlayBook. From what I've been able to read, "deep" would be far lower than the 3.4V which the PlayBook allows it to get to before it shuts off. I consider the PlayBook's battery management inherently safe for now, at least until we get much more data than we have (basically, probably another year of heavy use from lots of us).

2. Almost all advice about special treatment of Li-ion and LiPo batteries seems problematic, especially in how anecdotal or "cargo-cult" it appears to be. I have yet to see anyone with data to back up any claims, as even those few who've offered links to concrete numbers have so far failed to actually apply those numbers to the PlayBook's unique context.

3. One thing almost all of us (me included) forget from time to time is that there's basically nothing black-and-white about these things. Using them wears them out, but gradually. The more extreme your use, the faster they'll wear out. They don't (generally) just die instantly after they reach X cycles or Y years.

Lithium batteries would be happiest if charged to 40% and then never used, with an annual (?) top-up back to 40% in case the onboard circuitry has discharged them a few percent. Any use outside of that will increase the wear (or "damage", as is often the term we throw about carelessly). Discharging to 20% all the time is worse than discharging to 30%. Charging to 100% all the time is worse than charging to 90%. Charging faster is worse than charging slower. Using them hotter is worse than using them cooler.

But here's the question: how much worse?

By how much will it reduce the battery capacity in a given period of time (e.g. over 3 years) if you discharge consistently to 20% instead of to 30%. 50mWh? 0.5Wh? 5Wh? (That would mean roughly two hours less life than you get now, as they're approximately 18Wh batteries in real use.) Nobody knows. Nobody's taken the existing data and done the difficult analysis to say whether it would even be noticeable. Discharging consistently to 0% (3.4V)? Really, nobody knows, and I haven't tried to figure it out either since there are too many variables to actually reach a conclusion given that no existing studies were done on PlayBooks.

I think until another year or so has gone by, or we've started seeing people report that their battery health has dropped gradually down through the 80s and just hit 79%, and they can send in some Battery Guru export files for the time in question and it can be analyzed for their charge/discharge patterns, I really don't think we'll have better advice for people than "just use the tablet and enjoy it, and don't worry about the battery unless it starts acting up".
    kennyliu and rotorwrench like this.
    01-31-12 11:30 PM
    ...I really don't think we'll have better advice for people than "just use the tablet and enjoy it, and don't worry about the battery unless it starts acting up".
    I second that. You will most probably have upgraded to Playbook 3, 4, or even 5 (of course, if PB 2-5 see light ), before your fist Playbook's battery becomes unusable.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-01-12 at 02:47 AM.
    02-01-12 12:30 AM
    It says "Location: Florida" above your message ;-)
    02-05-12 05:06 PM
    No smegging way!
    02-05-12 09:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD