Hi There
    I have a playbook (bought about 3 months ago) and I LOVE it. Fantastic piece of kit and does everything (and more) that I want it to. I have a Samsung Galaxy something pay as you go mobile (cheap as chips one) which I basically use to text Mrs Stupops and bridge with a 500mb O2 bolt on so I can use the playbook when I am out of Wifi range. The PAYG phone suits me fine as I top up 10 a month and get free texts, the 500mb bolt on plus some call time ( I dont make many calls as erm...I dont know that many people I want to speak to on a regular basis). Anyhow, am I better off getting a blackberry phone of some sort? what does bridge actually do? As I said my phone is basically a text machine these days - although now its bridged I tend to email from the playbook if I need to contact people. I guess I am asking if a blackberry phone will enhance my playbook experience or am i better off sticking with what I have? Thanks in advance.
    11-27-12 06:00 PM
    Ok, here goes:

Bridge allows you to exchange files (images, documents) between the devices. You also get Open With functionality and can ask for links and images to open on the PlayBook instead of the phone.

One other nice thing is Remote Control. You can use your BlackBerry phone to control the PlayBook as well as use the phone's keyboard to type.

Finally, you can share the phone's internet with the tablet. It can be done the very same way you do it with your Galaxy (tethering) or it can be done over Bridge. To work over Bridge, you'd need the BlackBerry Bolt-on (aka BIS). There is one small issue with Bridge internet: the connection has to go through RIM's NOC before reaching the internet/your device, and that slows things down a little (or a lot if the phone you pick isn't 3G).

Ah, yes, and you can access your phone's Notes, Tasks, Contacts, BBM, Calendar and SMS apps from the Tablet.

Hope to have helped.
    11-27-12 06:17 PM
    thanks very much. maybe I will look into it. to be honest I am using the playbook for my pictures and videos etc these days so the only real benefit would be the functionality of the keyboard (which sounds cool). One thing I might look into is the data charges - streaming things like you tube on my 500mb bolt on uses it up so quickly, I wonder if the BB bolt on would give me a better deal? Thanks for the info.
    11-27-12 06:26 PM
    It's either 500mb or 2gb fair use... I don't remember now. Last I had to look into bolt-ons was 2009...

Full BIS is unlimited and only 5/month though. I'm not saying you should go the berry way, but if you do, it could be as much as making tops of 10 become 15/month (I know there are 10/month plans over the pond).
    11-27-12 06:32 PM
    cool. i guess i will need to have a look at phones as well. they are not cheap on PAYG. any thoughts on what phone I might want to look at? My Samsung (which is nice I think) only cost me about 80 new. anything around the 100 would be fine.
    11-27-12 06:38 PM
    Carphone Warehouse is your friend.

Just make sure whatever you get is running OS6 as a minimum. OS7 would be better.

Oh yeah, you may want to hold on for BlackBerry 10 devices releasing Feb/13.
    11-27-12 09:04 PM
    not in the 100 range lmao
    12-03-12 08:28 AM
    The text facility is more useful than you'd think! I had an iPhone 3GS for several years and got a playbook because they were so cheap, after a few months I lashed out on a 9900 and the combination of the two is brilliant. Have a look on eBay for a cheap 9230.
    seamonky likes this.
    12-03-12 09:32 AM
    i did the exact same thing. They compliment each other very well.
    12-03-12 09:37 AM
    In this OP's case, it seems like paying $10 (no pound key on my keyboard lol) is a huge incentive for phone choice. If that's the case, it's important to know that switching to a BB will probably significantly increase that price.
    12-03-12 10:38 AM
    The genius of bridging is that it gives people who are established BB phone customers the flexibility to be able to use all the functions of their phone (except calling) on the Playbook. If you aren't already using a BB phone, bridging doesn't offer much more of a benefit than tethering and, whatever extra benefit is there, may well be offset by the cost of switching and the hassle of having to learn a new op system, etc.

I was in the market to replace my old phone (no wifi, battery dying) and my old plan (no tethering allowed) and had my two playbooks in mind when looking for a new phone. Existing BB phones are still really pricey, considering they can't be upgraded to BB10 next year. I've seen all the BB10 videos and, frankly, don't see a revolutionary new op system, just a lot of wishful thinking hype. My less than satisfactory experiences with Playbook OS updates also makes me wary of being an early adopter of BB10.

So, when I had a chance to get a new, unlocked Samsung S2 X for $150 "on the Koodo tab"( + $100 down, offset by a $100 VISA gift card) I chose it over Blackberry. My S2 X is still upgradable; existing BB phones will not be upgraded further. Had the existing BB phones been offered at a more realistic price, I might have moved to Blackberry. I know only one person with a BB phone and many with Android phones. I anticipate it will be easier for me to get help learning how to use my Android phone than it would have been if I had chosen a blackberry.

I've had my phone for 3 days and am amazed how much faster the browser is than my Playbook but glad I still have the PB for sites using Flash and because of its larger display. If I were you, Stupops, I'd stick with your own phone as long as you can. Monitor RIM's progress in rolling out their new phones and OS, dealing with the inevitable bugs, and extending it to the Playbook. My bet is that a new tablet will be released eventually that works better in tandem with the new phones than our existing Playbooks will. You may or may not want the expense of buying a new phone AND a new tablet. Also, as soon as the new phones are released, the price of existing BB phones will plummet. So, by waiting 2 - 3 months, you will be able to save money and have made a more informed decision than you can make today.
    12-03-12 03:31 PM