Ever hear of hype? The good thing about the ipad is the depth of apps and general completeness of the thing ie BT A2DP. Its great that you have a lot to say but unless you offer the guy something concrete like what apps you want that app world doesn't, and what apps your friend has that he may want/need its really just useless isn't it. I have access to all the apps I "need".

I think you should offer something tangible to the OPs question. If all you can do is play tetris why would you buy it in the first place. The guy has a BB he doesn't need native PIM apps. Did you even read his post?

One thing people also post here in the forums are experiences with sales people who simply haven't been trained or used the PB. Once people show them the features they generally have a very different opinion.
    hey there- yeah looking back i should have offered more pros and cons.

what i meant is that nowadays, i find my playbook useless as my galaxy SII can do everything i want it to do. so the only thing i do on it now is to just play tetris. originally i bought the PB on what i read as it's strengths (hardware), and what was supposed to come (native PIM, improvement of app selection, etc.).

to the OP - go for the iPad2 if you don't mind the bigger size. the good things here are wide app selection and support, music player (sync to your iTunes music library), camera and video, and with iOS5's iMessage, you'll be able to chat with your friends with iPhones.

If you go for the Playbook, you'll get a tablet with the ability to browse the web with Flash, though in my experience it's been quite buggy. there is a music player though in my honest opinion the interface is very inferior to the iTunes layout. the speaker volume is quite good. the app world selection is quite a bit of a joke, though. the good thing is you can connect to the Internet by using the bluetooth connection between your blackberry and the playbook, called "bridge".

However, the Playbook has very limited support from its manufacturer (scarce software updates, OS2.0 has been delayed three times already, if I recall it right), and let's just say your Blackberry loses battery and you need to look up someone's number, the Playbook is useless as it doesn't have a native Address Book, Calendar, or Memo (basic PIM features) on it's OS. Bridge, in my experience, is quite slow (despite SOME updates) and unreliable. Chatting through BBM is very laggy, and opening your Address Book can be a slow process, versus having a real Address Book. It basically just becomes a big mirror for your phone.

Hope this was helpful. So advice is the same- avoid the Blackberry. There is a reason why the iPad is the biggest selling tablet out there, and it goes beyond just blind brand loyalty.
    10-27-11 11:08 AM
    ^^ is this spam?
    That was just a typical response from him/her (or it). They regret their purchase and now feel the need to lurk in forums and jump at any any chance to point out his own ignorance.
    10-27-11 12:11 PM
    I can't tell if you should buy a playbook or not but might tell you what I think about it.
    The playbook that I bought on the first day of release was the worst purchase that I ever made. I mean, I have bought a lot of electronic products from computers to tablets tv to phones to games to even a one dollar toaster. But now after all said and done playbook is the worst product I ever bought.
    Again, you keep saying this.
    But
    #1: who cares?
    #2, Do you ever back up your reasoning with anything?

Oh yeah, you were lied to, and RIM said 60 days, etc. If the PlayBook didn't do what you needed it to do, then why did you buy it on day 1? Why not wait until it had the features you want?
    10-27-11 12:15 PM
    No Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, or native Memo taking abilities
    Well, he/she does have a BB Pearl, so he can Bridge for those, and get free tethering if he even wanted it.
    10-27-11 12:16 PM
    I bought the PlayBook from the time I can afford it last June, I used it to review the product on my blog and sold it.

It became my business, I buy cheap PlayBooks in US and sell it in our country cheaper than the SRP but I still earn a lot .

Anyhow, I already sold almost 20 PlayBook which made me to buy my own 64GB for me and 16GB for my girl friend.

In my own opinion, if you have a BB Smartphone, then it would be a great device to partner with your BB, best if you have an OS 7 device.

With apps, we don't have a lot YET, but all the basic apps that I need as a entrepreneur are there, oh I for got, the GAMES! + the Kindle for Android App!

Form factor is great, I always bring my PB with me everywhere like I'm just holding a notebook. Since Wi-Fi hotspot are expensive here in the Philippines, I always bring my Pocket Wifi with me to access my apps that needs wifi.

Before when I'm at home, I tend to open my laptop to browse the net until I fall a sleep but this time I only use my PB because it has a full web browser, this device is a great device!

In contrast to iPad 1st Gen, all I can say is, if you prefer entertainment and games, then go to iPad, though the bigger size is not ideal for me, plus when I'm carrying one it's hard to go to some place that might snatch the device :P

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-27-11 12:32 PM
    @ anakin1979
    cudos for giving a more detailed explanation.

I wouldn't say the Bridge is perfect or high performance, but I'd say it gets the job done. Apparently they are working on a version 2 of Bridge so it isn't the end of the road.

You can sync the PB with iTunes already thru Desktop Manager, playlists too. But the Music app is basic, but easy to use. The only "problem" I find is playlist editing. It really only supports editing the default m3u file. In fact that's all you can edit in the app. But there are apps for that

Unfortunately the popular messaging apps are non existent on the PB. I think RIM was holding the release of these until native PIM apps are out...ummmm so you can't really message people. The web versions of IMO.im are only ok at best and I've found reprieve with the Android player and Yahoo Messenger sigh..
    So this is a major annoyance for me.

But sounds like the guy can get a deal on a first gen iPad, which doesn't have the camera and the slower processor.
    Unless there is a specific app missing or wanted I'd stay with the PB. The only app missing is a audio editor but there are basic sequencers but nothing to edit a mp3.
    10-27-11 01:01 PM
    should i buy a playbook,im not a big massive user,im just a average user like the few apps i like my music and taking pictures,im looking on buying a tablet for christmas mainly the playbook but got my eye on the first gen ipad,but i like the playbook because its smaller (i am going to be walking around in public with it so more efficiant to me)

like i say im not a heavy user just got the basic 9105
    what shall i buy playbook or ipad first gen,please dont make anymore
    reccomendations as ther the only 2 i am intrested in

sorry for spelling ect...
    What do you plan on using the tablet for? How is it going to integrate into your current daily life?

The PlayBook, from the little I've used one, has good hardware and a smooth OS. Beyond that, it is largely just there. Whereas the PlayBook has next to no support from developers and content providers, the iPad has tremendous support. At the end of the day, the PlayBook is still a half baked, largely incomplete device without a real purpose, other than "it's a tablet." The iPad does pretty much everything well, and has a ton of content custom tailored for it.
    10-27-11 01:20 PM
    What do you plan on using the tablet for? How is it going to integrate into your current daily life?

The PlayBook, from the little I've used one, has good hardware and a smooth OS. Beyond that, it is largely just there. Whereas the PlayBook has next to no support from developers and content providers, the iPad has tremendous support. At the end of the day, the PlayBook is still a half baked, largely incomplete device without a real purpose, other than "it's a tablet." The iPad does pretty much everything well, and has a ton of content custom tailored for it.
    While agree at this time the ipad is better due to content but your description of the playbook isn't even close.
    10-27-11 05:11 PM
    right im going for playbook
    if i buy wifi only,could i still use the internet outdoors (no wifi)
    if i connect it to my phone via bb bridge?
    10-27-11 06:47 PM
    right im going for playbook
    if i buy wifi only,could i still use the internet outdoors (no wifi)
    if i connect it to my phone via bb bridge?
    Yes you could
    10-27-11 07:11 PM
    Yes you could
    you have just sold me the playbook
    10-27-11 07:29 PM
    While agree at this time the ipad is better due to content but your description of the playbook isn't even close.
    Enlighten me then. There is no native e-mail, there is no native calendar, there is no native contacts list, there is no BBM. What uses are there? Browse the web? Listen to music and watch movies that you've synced from your computer?

There is no iTunes store, there are VERY limited apps for newspapers, news providers, magazines, etc. Heck, there isn't even a Kindle app for the PlayBook, so what do you have to use to read books on it?

I don't necessarily like how Amazon has "dummied" down Android for the Kindle Fire, or how they've blocked out other media/content providers, but Amazon is an example of a company that understands where a tablet fits into consumers' lives and what it is supposed to do. RIM once again hadn't a clue what the people wanted, or where the market was moving, and, even so, they still failed miserably to deliver the most basic features that any tablet should have.
    Last edited by psufan32; 10-28-11 at 09:32 AM.
    10-28-11 09:29 AM
    At this point in time I would only recommend the PB to the diehard BB user. Once 2.0 comes out then it will be a different story.
    10-28-11 09:38 AM
    Enlighten me then. There is no native e-mail, there is no native calendar, there is no native contacts list, there is no BBM. What uses are there? Browse the web? Listen to music and watch movies that you've synced from your computer?

There is no iTunes store, there are VERY limited apps for newspapers, news providers, magazines, etc. Heck, there isn't even a Kindle app for the PlayBook, so what do you have to use to read books on it?

I don't necessarily like how Amazon has "dummied" down Android for the Kindle Fire, or how they've blocked out other media/content providers, but Amazon is an example of a company that understands where a tablet fits into consumers' lives and what it is supposed to do. RIM once again hadn't a clue what the people wanted, or where the market was moving, and, even so, they still failed miserably to deliver the most basic features that any tablet should have.
    Well first off everyone says that a tablet is a consumption device. OK no native email, no pim, no bbm, no contacts unless you pair with a bb. I and I can imagine most people always have their phone on them, a professional will have their phone near by no matter what. Sure it would be nice to do those things on a larger screen and other tabs have it, it will be coming to the playbook, just taking time. I still prefer to do those tasks on my laptop over any phone or tablet. But that is me and I'm not important and my life doesn't depend on it like so many here.

iTunes store? Really? I get my media the same way I do on my laptop. Various different places on the web. I've never purchased music, video, movies from any laptop store. For books (which I don't care about but many do) there are ebooks that can be read perfectly and there is Kobo.

I also am not a fan of the kindle fire but I'm sure people will snatch up that consumption device like hotcakes.

Does the playbook have it's issues? Yep. Is totally unusable? Nope. Is it early in an OS life that hasn't been used in an application like it is now? Yes. Do people care about that? No because it is a gotta have it now or yesterday world. RIM should have never advertised the thing at all much less the way they did but that's all water under the bridge now.
    10-28-11 09:57 AM
    finally i am also out of the dilemma and confusion I had over the last few days. going for Playbook now. To top the deal I am also getting a curve 8520 free here in india
    10-28-11 09:41 PM
    hey everyone.

i am bb user for the last 4 years and never looked back. my first was a 8520 curve bought in the miami when i was on my honeymoon in 2008 and bought my bold 9780 in January.

I converted at least 5 of my friends/relatives to blackberry and they as well have never looked back. Blackberry is my choice.

Now to my question. I recently been bombarded by all my friends to buy a tablet. Well since i dont need much to get addictive to a new gadget i decided to get one. Most of my tablet friends have a Samsung Galaxy S (with GSM) and they are pretty happy with it. In my country (Cyprus) the cheapest one is �350 (about $460).

Since i am in love Blackberry i checked out Playbook reviews. I have to say there are far more negative than positive but i really i am thinking on buying it.

What i will be using the tablet for, is mostly apps. Since i heard that there is an OS2 update that has Android support, i am thinking why not getting the playbook then i will have both bb apps and android apps right?

Is the android support a true deal or will there come february and i will be dissapointed in my purchase?

I found a great deal on a playbook on ebay ($350, about �260). Please let me know what you think.
    12-13-11 10:49 AM
    hey everyone.

i am bb user for the last 4 years and never looked back. my first was a 8520 curve bought in the miami when i was on my honeymoon in 2008 and bought my bold 9780 in January.

I converted at least 5 of my friends/relatives to blackberry and they as well have never looked back. Blackberry is my choice.

Now to my question. I recently been bombarded by all my friends to buy a tablet. Well since i dont need much to get addictive to a new gadget i decided to get one. Most of my tablet friends have a Samsung Galaxy S (with GSM) and they are pretty happy with it. In my country (Cyprus) the cheapest one is �350 (about $460).

Since i am in love Blackberry i checked out Playbook reviews. I have to say there are far more negative than positive but i really i am thinking on buying it.

What i will be using the tablet for, is mostly apps. Since i heard that there is an OS2 update that has Android support, i am thinking why not getting the playbook then i will have both bb apps and android apps right?

Is the android support a true deal or will there come february and i will be dissapointed in my purchase?

I found a great deal on a playbook on ebay ($350, about �260). Please let me know what you think.

the PlayBook will get to link to your phone which will be a Plus, and is also more portable

that said, YES the Android App support is exciting, but it is more complicated than that, you still need wait for apps to be ported, so the Android based tablet will have more apps.

I would think about what Apps you want, then check the PlayBook forum Apps section and see if anyone has had success porting the Apps you want to the leaked OS2.0 for the playbook
    12-13-11 11:37 AM
    To the OP. Go with the Playbook. As others have said, there are various ways to get Android on the Playbook already so apps shouldn't be a big deal unless you're a pokemon trainer type app user "GOTTA GET THEM ALL!!!!" kidding kidding, lower your pitch-forks guys...

And if you have the patience then you can wait till February and get all the goodies RIM is planning to release with the official OS2.

So yeah. Go with the Playbook.
    12-13-11 02:27 PM
    Well i didnt need a lot of convincing. Ordered my 16GB from ebay hopw it arrives soon! Its a big shame about the no microsd slot. But i love BB anyway.
    12-15-11 02:11 PM
    Well i didnt need a lot of convincing. Ordered my 16GB from ebay hopw it arrives soon! Its a big shame about the no microsd slot. But i love BB anyway.
    Cool. You'll enjoy it for sure. Micro sd slot is not a big deal; you can still access the one in your phone through the bridge. There's an app called Files & Folders that does a superb job of moving and copying files between the BB and PB. Sure there's still a lot of stuff that can be improved, but there's a whole lot more stuff that's really slick. And if you have any questions when you do get it, you know where to come for answers.
    12-15-11 02:39 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD