So, here's the deal: I'm starting Uni next week and I'm contemplating between buying a Laptop or the 64gb Playbook. I already have laptop but the hard drive is dying a slow death. However, I know my budget for a laptop isn't enough to satisfy me, I don't want just a laptop, I want the full package i.e. Top of the range processor, enough RAM and storage space etc.

And I've always wanted the Playbook, knowing I'll be able to update it to BB10, but is the Playbook a decent device as a compliment instead of a new laptop? The laptop I have is working, but I know it's on its last legs.

CB crew, you decide! A standard laptop or a brand new Playbook?
    09-02-12 05:13 AM
    If you need a laptop for school and the one you have could fail any day, you need to buy a new lappy. That's a no brainer.

If you get a good enough deal you can also buy a playbook.

Check this out......The BlackBerry PlayBook gets yet another price drop in the UK - Anyone for a bargain? | CrackBerry.com
    09-02-12 05:48 AM
    Search "Playbook University" in this forum and there's like 40 post about that issue.

I can sum it for you: For Uni, a Playbook isnt enough. You won't be able to do works and presentations in the same conditions you have on a laptop or a netbook(you should get one of these).

I can tell you this cause i'm on my last year of Uni - PB is not enough, sorry.

My solution: Buy a new hard-drive for your laptop to make it last a while longer, and if you still have enough, buy a PB,because, well, its a PB and its great
    09-02-12 05:59 AM
    Do a search. This subject has been discussed pretty extensively fairly recently.
    09-02-12 06:00 AM
    Agree, if funding is limited the laptop replacement or repair should have priority. There are many things you can't do on a playbook - which could constrain your course work. If the rest of the laptop is in reasonable condition I would also consider whether the "failing hard disk" could be fixed more cheaply by a re-install of the OS, or a replacement hard disk.
    09-02-12 06:09 AM
    Get the laptop repaired or buy a new one. These UK Playbooks may sell out soon.
    09-02-12 06:40 AM
    So, here's the deal: I'm starting Uni next week and I'm contemplating between buying a Laptop or the 64gb Playbook. I already have laptop but the hard drive is dying a slow death. However, I know my budget for a laptop isn't enough to satisfy me, I don't want just a laptop, I want the full package i.e. Top of the range processor, enough RAM and storage space etc.

And I've always wanted the Playbook, knowing I'll be able to update it to BB10, but is the Playbook a decent device as a compliment instead of a new laptop? The laptop I have is working, but I know it's on its last legs.

CB crew, you decide! A standard laptop or a brand new Playbook?
    Laptop is very important for student. If you don't have enough money.Keep on saving money. Tablet is a nice have toy, you don't have to buy it. Don't waste your money
    09-02-12 07:04 AM
    You definitely need to go with the laptop. You can replace the hard drive on it fairly cheap if that's the only issue you have with it.
    09-02-12 07:44 AM
    The PlayBook is to me is a great gadget,browsing playing some music and video,as said I reckon you would need the laptop for more serious work.....the UK price at the minute is an incredible deal though for the PlayBook,really worth buying if you had the budget.
    Last edited by Broxster; 09-02-12 at 12:47 PM.
    09-02-12 08:02 AM
    I completely agree with all the other posts...a working laptop is a must for college. Great laptop deals are available at this time due to Windows 8 coming out soon. Be sure to also purchase for $14.99 the Windows 8 update option. Refurb laptops are a great option also. Check out all the daily deal sites for refurbs. The Acer store on eBay has some great refurb deals today.
    09-02-12 08:41 AM
    Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll have to hold back on the Playbook and buy a Laptop.
    09-02-12 12:26 PM
    Win 8 laptops about to be released. I agree you need a laptop but should wait for a true 8. You might be interested in a Surface.
    09-03-12 05:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD