I currently have a 9700 and would love to own a 9900. I've only not bought one yet because I want to hold out for a BBX phone. It then came to mind that since I already have the tablet and lets say a 9900, I still will get ALL the capabilities of the bbx phone/os through my tablet tethered to the 9900? Is that logic sound?
    11-07-11 05:10 PM
    Well, you probably won't be able to make calls with your playbook even if tethered

That said, if you're looking for a Blackberry with a keyboard you should probably go with the 9900 as it's been rumored that the first wave of phones supporting BBX will be full touch screen.

Also, I personally don't think we'll see BBX phones released anytime soon. Maybe 6-9 months away (this is all personal speculation) so I would enjoy the greatest BB while you can!
    11-07-11 05:17 PM
    while your logic is sound, and a part of me agrees with you, I would still vote that you wait until the BBX phones are out. Personally, i would not want to use my upgrade for the 9900 knowing fully well that the BBX phones are around the corner. I already get frustrated with my torch trying to replicate gestures from playbook.

In the event that your 9700 is on its last legs, ignore the above
    11-07-11 05:19 PM
    I'd rather have a 9900 than a PB personally...
    howarmat likes this.
    11-07-11 05:28 PM
    Well yes and no, you will be able to bridge, but I believe with BBX phones, you may be able to use apps on your phone that work on your tablet and vice versa . Not to forget your BBX phone will no doubt be faster/better than your BB phone (BETTER BE)

I hope that helps
    11-07-11 05:29 PM
    i thought about the same thing. im with AT&T so the 9900 was available yesterday and i used my upgrade to get it. i am not a fan of all touch phones and rumor has it that the 1st BBX is all touch and i NEED a Qwerty. anyway im fully satisfied with the 9900....
    11-07-11 08:43 PM
    The main is point I'll already have BBX when I upgrade the tablet to BBX. So what's the reason to wait for the bbx phone. Its the same operating system and I'll be getting data on my tablet through bridge so all the apps will be functional.

If I buy a 9900 now, I'm not going to miss out on any features or anything. I'll still have, between my tablet and 9900:
    NFC
    Front/Rear Camera
    A gig of ram to open a billion applications
    Whatever video chat software gets released will be on the playbook.
    Calling
    BBM
    Etc..

I just don't see anything I'll miss out on if I buy a 9900 now. My playbook my bbx device and the 9900 will be my phone to share my data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-11 09:18 PM
    I was on the same boat. But I think I am going to go with waiting for BBX phone and just get the playbook for now.

Although, its a relatively small percentage I assume, there are still reports of the BB9900 bricking on people so that is something you may want to consider as well.

11-07-11 10:23 PM
    I would advise to get the 9900 now. By the time RIM releases a BBX phone you would have exhausted all there is to do andlearn with the 9900. Let us not forget that RIM is the slowest between announcements and actual release. I can only imagine an entirely new OS. Whatever you decide, you will not go wrong. Good luck.
    11-07-11 10:38 PM
    I went through the same thoughts and got the 9900. The playbook will be my BBX device and I have always been happy with BBOS despite all the negative crap being flung from all directions. It really is a nice BlackBerry, the OS is mature and has every feature I want. My PlayBook on the other hand is feature poor, the OS is all potential at this point and I doubt it will be as complete as BBOS is now when it lands on a phone.

Another thing, if I wanted a grid of icons on an all touch phone with 1080p video recording etc, I would probably go buy an iPhone.
    11-07-11 11:00 PM
    I actually kinda have the same question in mind - I have had touch envy with my 9700 ever since iPhone came out - the playbook cured it, not so sure I even need to go 9900 for a while...touch on the phone somehow doesn't seem all that important anymore since I no longer web surf on it - always have the playbook to cure the novelty of swiping the screen and lots more room to do it!
    11-07-11 11:00 PM
    I can't say whether or not you should ditch a 9700 for a 9900 or wait for the BBX phone. I'll just relay my experience. I've had the Playbook since week one, and it was paired to a Tour 9630, similar to a 9700 spec wise until October when I upgraded to a 9900. I can say that the Bridge is now great with the 9900 and the 9630 just wasn't good. It is obvious that when RIM came up with the Bridge that they expected OS7 phones to be available IMHO. BBX phones will be like a mini playbooks, all touch, gestures, etc, except it will have a radio. I personally don't see the benefit of a 4" version of something and the 7" version of something with you at the same time. Maybe if they made a 9 or 10" version of the Playbook I could see it a little better, but it would still be a device and the mini-me version. If RIM incorporates the keyboard input from the 9900 to be used on the Playbook than then my 9900 purchase will be even better, but I don't know for sure if this will happen. I don't get people carrying around an iPad and an iPhone as they are just two different sized versions of the same thing, just my personal opinion that I wouldn't do it so if you use this combo then that's great and you are on the wrong forum. If BBX phones have the bridge then it would be a better pairing than an iPhone/iPad combo, but still it will be a two extremely similar devices of just different sizes.

Also who knows when BBX phones will be available. RIM hasn't set any deadlines, and they aren't great at hitting them anyways. I have zero regrets getting my 9900 (even though I need to get a replacement because mine doesn't work right outdoors in sun) and whenever the BBX phones come out I'll be able to decide if I want to pay full price and sell my 9900 or wait for my next upgrade cycle. Based on the Playbook rollout I'll want to let the BBX phones get some time in the field to get the kinks worked out anyways.

Just my experience and a little opinion thrown in, but in the end you have to decide what way you want to go. The longer you wait the later that restart clock for the next upgrade gets pushed out.
    howarmat and marksthespot60 like this.
    11-08-11 07:05 AM
    I had the same question. I'm still using a curve 8900. I didn't feel the need to upgrade my phone since my playbook does everything I need except make calls and texting. But the keys on my curve are too small, so I want to upgrade to a 9900. I was thinking about waiting for the BBX phones, but if the new phones are going to be touch only, I think I'll get the 9900, as I hate typing on a touchscreen. I'm hoping that they come out with an app that would let you use your phone as a keyboard for the playbook.
    11-08-11 07:16 AM
    Well, my previous BB was a 9000, and had gained its right to retreat (In fact, no ... I see my daughter eyes right now ... looking in its direction lol), so that I bought the magnificent 9900.
    But, in your case, you own a 9700, which could have been my choice, if the keyboard size factor had not been so important to me.
    We all know (do we ?) that a dual core will be mandatory to run BBX, which is not the case for the 9900 ...
    So, personally, in your situation, I'll wait a little, at least to know what will the nextgen BBX phone look like ... and then make a definitive choice.
    11-08-11 07:22 AM
    BB xPhone....interesting name.

I have both 9900 and Playbook love them both. The lack of the keyboard would be a killer for me in the xPhone. 9900 keyboard is awesome.
    11-08-11 11:01 AM
    I can't say whether or not you should ditch a 9700 for a 9900 or wait for the BBX phone. I'll just relay my experience. I've had the Playbook since week one, and it was paired to a Tour 9630, similar to a 9700 spec wise until October when I upgraded to a 9900. I can say that the Bridge is now great with the 9900 and the 9630 just wasn't good. It is obvious that when RIM came up with the Bridge that they expected OS7 phones to be available IMHO. BBX phones will be like a mini playbooks, all touch, gestures, etc, except it will have a radio. I personally don't see the benefit of a 4" version of something and the 7" version of something with you at the same time. Maybe if they made a 9 or 10" version of the Playbook I could see it a little better, but it would still be a device and the mini-me version. If RIM incorporates the keyboard input from the 9900 to be used on the Playbook than then my 9900 purchase will be even better, but I don't know for sure if this will happen. I don't get people carrying around an iPad and an iPhone as they are just two different sized versions of the same thing, just my personal opinion that I wouldn't do it so if you use this combo then that's great and you are on the wrong forum. If BBX phones have the bridge then it would be a better pairing than an iPhone/iPad combo, but still it will be a two extremely similar devices of just different sizes.

Also who knows when BBX phones will be available. RIM hasn't set any deadlines, and they aren't great at hitting them anyways. I have zero regrets getting my 9900 (even though I need to get a replacement because mine doesn't work right outdoors in sun) and whenever the BBX phones come out I'll be able to decide if I want to pay full price and sell my 9900 or wait for my next upgrade cycle. Based on the Playbook rollout I'll want to let the BBX phones get some time in the field to get the kinks worked out anyways.

Just my experience and a little opinion thrown in, but in the end you have to decide what way you want to go. The longer you wait the later that restart clock for the next upgrade gets pushed out.

Beautiful point! "Different size versions of the same thing." I think I'll buy a 9900. (I'm with tmobile on a plan where we have lower prices for their services and no contract but we have to buy the phones at face value, aka I'll be buying the phone second hand)
    THANKS so much folks.
    11-08-11 01:06 PM
    Probably gonna be a long wait for BBX phones, 9900 series phones just came out and RIM wants to see them sell, so it will be at least until next summer before BBX phones hit the street and probably gonna be full touch screen phones only at first, could be at least next fall before you see a BBX phone with a physical keyboard and by then PlayBook 3 will be coming out, and another round of BBX phones announced, it is a never ending circle.
    11-08-11 01:17 PM
    The first BB-X phone will not have a physical keyboard (so the rumor goes). It is not intended to replace the OS7 phones but an additional choice at BlackBerry.

I would go with the Bold 9930 and enjoy it now. The BB-X phone may not be available for four to five months. Why wait that long? The Bold 9930 is here and it is the most awesome phone I've ever owned.

First time ever I've fallen in love with my phone. I am now officially a BlackBerry addict.
    11-08-11 02:12 PM
    I actually kinda have the same question in mind - I have had touch envy with my 9700 ever since iPhone came out - the playbook cured it, not so sure I even need to go 9900 for a while...touch on the phone somehow doesn't seem all that important anymore since I no longer web surf on it - always have the playbook to cure the novelty of swiping the screen and lots more room to do it!
    Because typing on the 9900 is just fracking dreamy.

And you'd probably be surprised at how handy the touch screen comes in, even with the physysical keyboard. It might be the perfect BlackBerry.

11-08-11 03:12 PM
    I finally got to play a bit with the 9930. My main interest is how the browser displays web pages. I'm still on OS5 since it has Column View for the 9650. Well, I was disappointed that the text on the 9930 was a bit too small and without column view, you either have smaller text or you have bigger text but have to scroll left/right to read a page of data. I'm still not sure why rim eliminated a helpful VIEW of stuff on the web. While I have a pb, I do not take it everywhere and so being able to read the web and the results of searches or link on the phones screen right now on the 9650 is terrific.

Ah, well, can't have everything (as the pb proves).
    11-08-11 06:38 PM
    The main is point I'll already have BBX when I upgrade the tablet to BBX. So what's the reason to wait for the bbx phone. Its the same operating system and I'll be getting data on my tablet through bridge so all the apps will be functional.

If I buy a 9900 now, I'm not going to miss out on any features or anything. I'll still have, between my tablet and 9900:
    NFC
    Front/Rear Camera
    A gig of ram to open a billion applications
    Whatever video chat software gets released will be on the playbook.
    Calling
    BBM
    Etc..

I just don't see anything I'll miss out on if I buy a 9900 now. My playbook my bbx device and the 9900 will be my phone to share my data plan.

You make a good point. The 9900 is probably going to the phone with a keyboard (the new BBX phones are thought to be with touchscreen). There's nothing to ensure the condition of the BBX phone when it comes out. It is possible that it may be rushed, and it may very well (knock on wood) end up half-baked like the PlayBook when it came out initially. It's probably going to be a new phone of many frontiers open for proving, and it will probably be expensive as well.

In short, if you need the phone now, get the 9900 now. If you can wait well into 2012 before even getting one, then wait.
    11-08-11 07:22 PM
    I am always in line for the latest and greatest BB... I use my phone/playbook to run my agency. I have the 9930/32gb Playbook. I love my current set up and the bridge feature allows me leave my laptop at the office alot more these days. I also travel alot Coaching Ice Hockey... it so nice to not have my laptop with me all the time. I have full funtion for my business and coaching on the go.

If I were granted 3 wishes at the moment they would be:
    1) SURFLINE.COM | Global Surf Reports, Surf Forecasts, Live Surf Cams and Coastal Weather (app.)
    2) Linkedin app.
    3) NHL app.

BH
    11-08-11 08:12 PM

I have both 9900 and Playbook love them both. The lack of the keyboard would be a killer for me in the xPhone. 9900 keyboard is awesome.
    a small stroke of genius right there!!
    11-08-11 09:31 PM

Ahhh the xphone! I like it! the xphone battles the iphone.. and the xbook battles the ipad!!

Because typing on the 9900 is just fracking dreamy.

And you'd probably be surprised at how handy the touch screen comes in, even with the physysical keyboard. It might be the perfect BlackBerry.

Ahh now you had to go and make me envious.. thankks I was so content with my blinders on....

I finally got to play a bit with the 9930. My main interest is how the browser displays web pages. I'm still on OS5 since it has Column View for the 9650. Well, I was disappointed that the text on the 9930 was a bit too small and without column view, you either have smaller text or you have bigger text but have to scroll left/right to read a page of data. I'm still not sure why rim eliminated a helpful VIEW of stuff on the web. While I have a pb, I do not take it everywhere and so being able to read the web and the results of searches or link on the phones screen right now on the 9650 is terrific.

Ah, well, can't have everything (as the pb proves).
    Just couldn't complete a post without a PB dig huh F2?
    I was really really following along hoping the change of topic might get your mind off of your misery...oh well.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-08-11 at 10:43 PM.
    11-08-11 10:37 PM
    I am always in line for the latest and greatest BB... I use my phone/playbook to run my agency. I have the 9930/32gb Playbook. I love my current set up and the bridge feature allows me leave my laptop at the office alot more these days. I also travel alot Coaching Ice Hockey... it so nice to not have my laptop with me all the time. I have full funtion for my business and coaching on the go.

If I were granted 3 wishes at the moment they would be:
    1) SURFLINE.COM | Global Surf Reports, Surf Forecasts, Live Surf Cams and Coastal Weather (app.)
    2) Linkedin app.
    3) NHL app.

BH
    Would you consider reposting that here?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-money-666325/

I'm a collector of happy playbook stories
    11-08-11 10:47 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD