The PlayBook is no longer a competitive tablet in 2013. That's my only answer. Very slow for today's standards. I personally avoid it now that I have my Z10. There's just no going back. It's great for in bed use and media as in connecting it to the TV etc, and sure it's a knock out price, but it's 2 years old. That's old in tech. Browser is slow, PIM is slow as hell. Can't access apps for or use the PlayBook after closing the browser for at least a couple seconds up to a minute sometimes. Hardware is lagging behind the competition. If I'd have to buy a tablet, the Nexus 7 is the best bang for your buck. That's what I'd buy personally. I loved the PlayBook when I used to use it, back in 2011 and 2012 even. But now it just doesn't live up to 2013.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 11:55 AM
    Nexus 7 in the current version lacks HDMI, rear camera and SD card slot. Also has only one GB of RAM. It has a decent screen and the support and intrusion of Google. There are complaints about it lagging. Since it appears that an updated model will be introduced later this year it would be better to wait at least a couple of months.

I have had a 16 GB Nexus 7 for 11 months and I have had no problems with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    dphjeff likes this.
    06-22-13 12:59 PM
    SurplusByDesign on ebay as well
    Real fast shipping and it says used, the thing looks brand new
    Good to hear, that ebay store doesn't sell items without inspecting and testing them and they appear to have some technical competence with PlayBooks. Mine has been shipped and should have it by Thursday. I just picked up a 12 ft hdmi cable at the local Staples store today ... this PB is going to be the music, video, and gaming device, connected to a 55 inch tv.
    06-22-13 06:00 PM
    My only point is, why would you buy something that even the CEO of that product would no longer buy it?

Posted via Z10
    Because playbook as is, is good enough for many users regardless what the CEO plan for the future of this device. It's not his word, it's the user experience.
    dphjeff likes this.
    06-22-13 06:14 PM
    Hey Summer,
    Please let us know what you think of the PB after you get it. Hope it works well for you.
    06-22-13 06:17 PM
    no - you are buying a 2 year old technology, even with BB OS 10 you still have an old underpowered tablet
    ... It's great for in bed use and media as in connecting it to the TV etc, and sure it's a knock out price, but it's 2 years old. That's old in tech. ...
    How up to date does technology have to be to read a book and watch a video?
    We have to keep in mind that these two activities are what the OP indicated she wanted to do with a tablet.
    I remember way back, almost 2 years ago, I could do both of those things on a Playbook and I still can today.

I indicated earlier that I would buy an Android if I were to buy a tablet today. I'm not sure about that now. Even at $200 a Nexus 7 is nearly double the price of a comparable Playbook.
    It's a bit difficult to justify the extra money to read a book and play a video.
    06-22-13 08:11 PM
    How up to date does technology have to be to read a book and watch a video?
    We have to keep in mind that these two activities are what the OP indicated she wanted to do with a tablet.
    I remember way back, almost 2 years ago, I could do both of those things on a Playbook.

I indicated earlier that I would buy an Android if I were to buy a tablet today. I'm not sure about that now. Even at $200 a Nexus 7 is nearly double the price of a comparable Playbook.
    It's a bit difficult to justify the extra money to read a book and play a video.
    I agree with you and jpash above that the Nexus 7 will be updated soon and it may be wise to wait. If the OP intends to use the PlayBook for minimalist tasks, you can't go wrong because the price is the most competitive out there lol. But for more complex tablet applications, I wouldn't recommend the PlayBook. Not now anyways.

Posted via CB10
    Angus_CB likes this.
    06-22-13 08:16 PM
    Thank you for all your responses, both positive and negative. It has given me a wide spectrum of opinions to consider from experienced users. The common positive thread is that multimedia is great, it can handle some other apps, and the interface is superb. Having a good screen is a priority for me.

HAVE A GOOD SUMMER, ALL OF YOU!!!
    Good luck and have a good summer too.
    06-22-13 08:21 PM
    I think you are making a mistake buying the PlayBook at this point. BlackBerry has basically abandoned it. The car analogy doesn't work here. PB is a completely closed system, if something doesn't work correctly or as you like, you can't just open up the hood and tinker with it.
    Nail on the head PBOS is a closed system and BBRY take pride in its security, so hacking your way in to add features is impossible. It's also impossible to fix the bugs on your own once BBRY drops support for PBOS.

A lot of functionality is also added by third party apps e.g. Kalemsoft Media Player and Fast Browser. Once the developers stop updating those apps, we're screwed.

Unlike Android tablets where you can root them and install custom ROMs, PlayBooks are essentially locked computers - take it or leave it. They're even worse than iPads because you can't root them whereas iPads can be jailbroken. I appreciate quackquack147's efforts to force the thing open at the bootloader level but it could be a while before we see anything.
    06-22-13 09:28 PM
    Because playbook as is, is good enough for many users regardless what the CEO plan for the future of this device. It's not his word, it's the user experience.
    Again, if the CEO itself doesn't believe anymore on the product they produced, why would you buy it? We may probably see different perspective on it but its future is in the hand of its leader...

But in the end it is still your money... so it is still your decision that matter most...

Posted via Z10
    06-22-13 09:32 PM
    Nail on the head PBOS is a closed system and BBRY take pride in its security, so hacking your way in to add features is impossible. It's also impossible to fix the bugs on your own once BBRY drops support for PBOS.

A lot of functionality is also added by third party apps e.g. Kalemsoft Media Player and Fast Browser. Once the developers stop updating those apps, we're screwed.

Unlike Android tablets where you can root them and install custom ROMs, PlayBooks are essentially locked computers - take it or leave it. They're even worse than iPads because you can't root them whereas iPads can be jailbroken. I appreciate quackquack147's efforts to force the thing open at the bootloader level but it could be a while before we see anything.
    You talk about this sub $200 tablet as if you plan to use it for the rest of your life.
    If KalemSoft stop development on their Media Player now it's still better than any I've used. I doubt that there will be changes in the next two years that will render the software or the tablet useless.
    By that time the batteries will be unusable. Throw it away and get whatever is suitable at that time.

It's similar to the situation with Windows Mobile on iPaq handhelds. Nobody seems too worried that Microsoft has stopped support for that platform. I don't remember any of these selling for under $200.
    bambinoitaliano and FF22 like this.
    06-23-13 07:35 AM
    You talk about this sub $200 tablet as if you plan to use it for the rest of your life.
    If KalemSoft stop development on their Media Player now it's still better than any I've used. I doubt that there will be changes in the next two years that will render the software or the tablet useless.
    By that time the batteries will be unusable. Throw it away and get whatever is suitable at that time.

It's similar to the situation with Windows Mobile on iPaq handhelds. Nobody seems too worried that Microsoft has stopped support for that platform. I don't remember any of these selling for under $200.
    I'm not sure I would throw mine away. I probably spend $30 on a new battery and see if I can replace it myself.
    Full Assembly Battery FOR RIM Blackberry Playbook 16 32 64 GB Replacement Tools | eBay
    06-23-13 08:01 AM
    Don't bother, buy a nice hat or a pair of shoes.
    06-23-13 09:31 AM
    Don't bother, buy a nice hat or a pair of shoes.
    For what they cost this days, I can get a playbook LOL!!
    06-23-13 09:41 AM
    Personally, if a PlayBook suits one's needs, they either don't have much tablet experience nor expectations of what it should do for them; or their needs are very, very minuscule. This tablet does not hold its own against the competition at all anymore. It is completely obsolete at this point. I cannot honestly recommend this tablet to my friends or peers.

Posted via CB10
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    06-23-13 06:52 PM
    Let's make this simple as "go" or "no go" scenario...

Should you buy a PlayBook?

"YES" - if you won a lottery...

"NO" - if you value your hard-earned money...

Posted via Z10
    06-23-13 09:30 PM
    Like I have suggested before, send a message asking the same question to '[email protected]' and whether it will be updated to BB10 or not. If they say yes, by all means go for it. If not, then you are wasting your money on a doorstop. Most likely they will give you their generic wishy-washy canned answer, let them know that you are holding onto your money until they deliver.
    agp101 likes this.
    06-23-13 11:03 PM
    I'm not sure I would throw mine away. I probably spend $30 on a new battery and see if I can replace it myself.
    Full Assembly Battery FOR RIM Blackberry Playbook 16 32 64 GB Replacement Tools | eBay
    Better stock up now.
    Don't expect to find these in two years.
    06-24-13 01:20 PM
    don't waste your time with that obsolite pad get an ipad !
    06-25-13 03:22 PM
    The PlayBook is not a "pad".

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 06:32 PM
    I did

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 06:42 PM
    Who makes that? Are they expensive?
    06-26-13 04:26 AM
    GREAT comparison to the Sony Betamax. .trouble is a lot of the younger generation won't know anything about that.
    good comment overall tho
    06-26-13 06:39 AM
    NO! NO! and NO!
    06-26-13 07:19 AM
    No its been deserted
    06-26-13 07:29 AM
82 1234