06-26-13 11:11 AM
69 123
tools
    I am using a kindle at the time and as the offer on playbooks is so good and it runs kindle should I buy one of am I wasting my time and should I get an iPad instead.

Thanks you for your help
    Not even sure if it is still possible to get a playbook, I have searched high and low and have yet to find one (I wanted to buy one earlier this year).
    06-03-13 05:13 PM
    Not even sure if it is still possible to get a playbook, I have searched high and low and have yet to find one (I wanted to buy one earlier this year).
    I bought my 64 GB PlayBook from Amazon 3 weeks ago.
    06-03-13 05:19 PM
    The hardware is old while the build quality is good. The poor app selection and crap browser is reason enough to skip it. Besides it having flash and HDMI it does not outweigh the fact that "apps" are not really there. It's pretty bad when Blackberry won't even fix their own Facebook app on it for over 10 months. It tells you what they think of it now..
    Bbnivende and xanderten50 like this.
    06-03-13 05:51 PM
    The hardware is old while the build quality is good. The poor app selection and crap browser is reason enough to skip it. Besides it having flash and HDMI it does not outweigh the fact that "apps" are not really there. It's pretty bad when Blackberry won't even fix their own Facebook app on it for over 10 months. It tells you what they think of it now..
    If you intend to use your tablet primarily for content consumption, apps and Facebook, then I agree, don't get a PlayBook. Go with an iPad or one of the zillion Android devices out there. They have the best app libraries.

If you intend to use your tablet as more than a content consumption device, then take a good look at the PlayBook, which even after 2+ years is one of the best buys out there right now.
    06-03-13 05:55 PM
    If you:
    -Use Flash online
    -Want true multitasking
    -Like to use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (a very basic version) on the Playbook
    -Like to read e-books
    -Want a portable tablet
    -Have a BlackBerry phone (not necessary, but then you can use Bridge)
    -A gesture-based OS

And don't mind:
    -A small-ish screen
    -A lack of apps aside from business apps

Then you should look into getting a PlayBook! The best way to decide whether it's right for you is to try one out.
    06-03-13 06:25 PM
    The downside, the Playbook was not adopted by the mainstream apps.
    If you want a more enhanced app selection then pick one of the iPad's over the Playbook.

In the case of connection to BB phones: For OS5, 6, 7 phones there was a good bridge connection from phone<>Playbook: email, contacts, calendar.
    For OS10 phones (z10, q10) you essentially just have bridge tether and minor other uses such as remote control.
    06-03-13 06:33 PM
    get ipad, its gonna work at least....
    I got myself 2 bb z10, and they always rebooting and both are bought at different times (2 months difference) - waste of my money and time
    in the times between reboots, I can not find any useful apps - certainly, I'm not a fun of this stuff anymore....
    btw, I also bought bb stereo mini speaker - it was great, when it worked for first 2.5 weeks... I bought it at bb live directly from bb and now they can not even service it - just stay away from them!
    06-03-13 08:27 PM
    If you intend to use your tablet primarily for content consumption, apps and Facebook, then I agree, don't get a PlayBook. Go with an iPad or one of the zillion Android devices out there. They have the best app libraries.

If you intend to use your tablet as more than a content consumption device, then take a good look at the PlayBook, which even after 2+ years is one of the best buys out there right now.
    I don't get it.
    If a device is not suitable for content consumption (due lack of apps and outdated hardware/OS), how can it be used for more than content consumption??
    06-03-13 08:53 PM
    I don't get it.
    If a device is not suitable for content consumption (due lack of apps and outdated hardware/OS), how can it be used for more than content consumption??
    iOS and Android revolve around consuming content delivered through iTunes and Google Play. Communication and productivity are secondary on those platforms. That is not to say that you can't communicate or be productive on iOS or Android devices - just that it is not their primary focus.

BlackBerry devices are not designed with content consumption as their primary function. They are designed, first and foremost, around communication and productivity. Sure, I play games, watch movies, and do other things on my PlayBook that could be considered "content consumption", but that is not its primary focus. It blows iOS and Android out of the water when it comes to multitasking, presentations, and it has very good native email and calendar apps. I find I am more productive on my PlayBook than I was on an iPad. I enjoy being able to have a browser, YouTube video, calendar, email, and word document open all at the same time and be able to seamlessly transition between each of those apps without any degradation in performance or functionality. I enjoy being able to have my PlayBook hooked up to an external display via HDMI and remotely control it with my BlackBerry phone, either for presentations, or as a mini HTPC.

If having access to a huge amount of apps and media content through iTunes or Google Play is extremely important to you, then get one of those devices. They are designed with that in mind and they are very good at what they do.

However, if that is not your primary focus, the PlayBook is a very capable device that still has at least a year or two of useful life in it even if it never receives another OS update.

It comes down to personal preference. Only you can decide which device will meet your wants/needs.
    xanderten50 and remmo like this.
    06-03-13 11:00 PM
    Hi,

We all have playbooks in our family so that we can video chat with each other. I use google calendars which integrate nicely with the playbook calendar and the integrated contacts book is great. The messaging hub is a joy to use. So as a work tool, the playbook system is perfect for me, and unbeatable at the price. I use the kindle app though I also use the Kindle keyboard for long reading sessions. Videos are great and the speaker sound is the best you can find, especially if two or three of you want to watch the same movie. I don't use gaming apps but do write and amend documents a lot. The cut down Word Doc app is perfectly fine in conjunction with Dropbox and the pdf reader is great. The keyboard language support is second to none. I have to write in Spanish and French and English and swapping between them is a joy. Drawbacks: Dropbox requires manual upload of changed files - it's not automatic. Integrating with Google calendar account is not complete since you cannot send out meeting invitations automatically (to those in your contact book) with it, but you can with the internal playbook calendar account. It's a little heftier than the ipad mini but the build quality is exceptional. The playbook has hit the floor several times without a scratch. It's the best value out there, and even without a BB10 upgrade, I recommend it as a work tool without hesitation.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-04-13 06:37 AM
    2 cents from a software engineer . you probably won't be running a big security system or robust firewall on your tablet when you surf the web or download eBooks. The Playbook has an old proprietary operating system. Hackers don't bother with old stuff because they are too busy trying to break new stuff like Windows 8. That is why a lot of software engineers wait for at least one year before we upgrade to the latest and greatest. The Playbook is an AMAZING tablet for only 149 bucks. That is why I'm thinking of getting one for myself. You will use it for more than a year whether BB10 becomes avaialable or not. The screen is a critically important consideration for any user because it's your eyes that will get tired. If the screen suits you, then get it. There's been many cases at work where someone will get the latest, greatest toy and then discover the screen is crap or causes them to get a headache. Your FIRST concern is whether the tablet can do the basic applications you want and the SECOND concern is how well you like the screen. If any computer or phone can not meet both criteria, don't buy it. In your case, the Playbook fulfills both needs and it's cheap, too. Put the rest of your money in the bank for a rainy day.
    dangerousfen likes this.
    06-21-13 04:09 PM
    2 cents from a software engineer . you probably won't be running a big security system or robust firewall on your tablet when you surf the web or download eBooks. The Playbook has an old proprietary operating system. Hackers don't bother with old stuff because they are too busy trying to break new stuff like Windows 8. That is why a lot of software engineers wait for at least one year before we upgrade to the latest and greatest. The Playbook is an AMAZING tablet for only 149 bucks. That is why I'm thinking of getting one for myself. You will use it for more than a year whether BB10 becomes avaialable or not. The screen is a critically important consideration for any user because it's your eyes that will get tired. If the screen suits you, then get it. There's been many cases at work where someone will get the latest, greatest toy and then discover the screen is crap or causes them to get a headache. Your FIRST concern is whether the tablet can do the basic applications you want and the SECOND concern is how well you like the screen. If any computer or phone can not meet both criteria, don't buy it. In your case, the Playbook fulfills both needs and it's cheap, too. Put the rest of your money in the bank for a rainy day.
    You sure know the meaning of the word 'revenge'. Sweet ain't it mate.
    06-21-13 07:09 PM
    no - you are buying a 2 year old technology, even with BB OS 10 you still have an old underpowered tablet
    06-21-13 10:51 PM
    If you hate the PlayBook so much, why are you in the PlayBook forum?
    06-21-13 11:47 PM
    I have a playbook don't waste your time with obsolite tech get an ipad like I did!
    06-25-13 04:25 PM
    Get an iPad. I made the big mistake of getting a Playbook. Don't make the same mistake I did.
    06-26-13 08:22 AM
    No - its been deserted
    06-26-13 08:27 AM
    Oh boy, here we go again...

I'm sure Mr. Heins is smiling at us everytime he read something like "should I buy PlayBook?"... he probably enjoying this too much...

Posted via Z10
    06-26-13 09:25 AM
    No - its been deserted
    Why should somebody looking for a bargain, give a flying <censored>?

When I bought my first playbook in September last year, I'd heard the talk about BB10 - you know what? I wasn't that concerned, then, or now. And since September last year, I've had at least 2 / 3 official software releases for my playbook. I bought a 2nd one a few months back. I couldn't care less whether BlackBerry have abandoned it, or otherwise, I knew what I was getting into, and for the money, it was worth it.

If I had to buy a tablet now, and was still happy with the rationale from a few months back, and last September, I'd STILL buy a PlayBook.

From buying a bargain device perspective, what does somebody truly care about futures for?
    dphjeff and FF22 like this.
    06-26-13 11:11 AM
69 123