Hey everyone.

I have a Bold 9900 and a PlayBook. I'm just curious to know what are the benefits/drawbacks from using the native email/PIM versus Bridge?

If use native email and send out an email, will that email also get synced to my BB inbox?

Thanks.

Q4L
    02-01-12 04:27 PM
    If you use native email and send out an email, it will also get synced to your BB inbox.

I think the main benefit for Bridge is the security. If your PB is lost/stolen, your email will not be on it...
    02-01-12 04:33 PM
    I will be interested to see how this is going to work. Security is important to me, so I will have to be convinced that everything will be safe.
    02-01-12 04:35 PM
    The native email provides an all around superior user experience with a lot of features Bridge doesn't have. All else being equal I'd use it.

However, the Bridge advantages are:

- Security if your PlayBook is stolen
    - Access to draft messages
    - Instant sync of read/unread, etc

The native email will sync directly to your email provider, such as Gmail or a corporate account. It is ActiveSync based and therefore sync of read/unread, etc is close to instant. BBOS phones using BIS however don't synchronize this information so quickly, so reading an email on your PB will leave your phone blinking. This doesn't apply to BES users.

Draft messages are only stored on your phone and not synced, so any drafts won't be accessible from the PB.

I think security is fairly self explanatory. If the email isn't on the PB (Bridge) it's safe if the PB is lost/stolen.
    quik4life, willtothewong and MTL like this.
    02-01-12 04:50 PM
    Everyone is going to differ on this. Its going to come down to personal choice, no right or wrong, better or worse. One mans device security is another mans hoop to jump through.
    saescott likes this.
    02-01-12 04:50 PM
    Who says you can't use both?
    02-01-12 04:57 PM
    Who says you can't use both?
    Can you?? I didn't know that was an option!
    02-01-12 06:11 PM
    The native email will sync directly to your email provider, such as Gmail or a corporate account. It is ActiveSync based and therefore sync of read/unread, etc is close to instant. BBOS phones using BIS however don't synchronize this information so quickly, so reading an email on your PB will leave your phone blinking. This doesn't apply to BES users.

Draft messages are only stored on your phone and not synced, so any drafts won't be accessible from the PB.
    This is the info I was looking for. From the sounds of it, looks like I'll be sticking with Bridge.
    02-01-12 06:15 PM
    If I make an appointment on one Calendar will it synch with the other? (I hope).
    02-01-12 06:41 PM
    I don't want native email, contacts, calender, etc. I love how Bridge works...

I can give my PlayBook to friends, family, and little kids without anyone messing, or looking, at my personal stuff.
    02-01-12 06:42 PM
    I use the Android native email. I get audio notifications and works perfectly, give it a try. If you need the .bar file, let me know.....

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    02-01-12 06:45 PM
    I don't want native email, contacts, calender, etc. I love how Bridge works...

I can give my PlayBook to friends, family, and little kids without anyone messing, or looking, at my personal stuff.
    Agreed... though I am curious to see how feature rich the native apps will be... as I may be tempted to use them if they are significantly better than the bridge apps.
    Revampd likes this.
    02-01-12 07:00 PM
    IMO, the only reason to use bridge email is the ease of reading emails on the larger screen. HTML particularly renders much better. Other than that there's not a lot of reason to me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-01-12 07:31 PM
    IMO the only reason to use a native email is because you don't have a BB. I like the fact that there will be a choice but as of now I think I will keep using bridge. I personally do not have a need for another calander,email. bbm account, BBid or have to be concerned how or if they will sync. Again, not to be contray. Just my thoughts.
    02-01-12 09:00 PM
    Luckily the Bridge apps have seen some updates for 2.0 as well, for those that intend on only using those. There will be some UI changes from what I noticed in a couple CES videos... so I do look forward to seeing those!
    hubermania likes this.
    02-01-12 09:48 PM
    I'm looking forward to using email on the PB because of the formatting capabilities. When sending email from my computer I use the Word features that are woven into Outlook. I really like the concept of Bridge email and I find it works really well, but I miss the formatting capabilities. I think I'll be switching to native email. I've password protected my PB so if someone steals it, they'll wipe it clean by typing the wrong password 10 times.
    02-01-12 11:39 PM
    I am a PB and BB user and I'd stick to Bridge.

I got 7-8 email accounts in my BB and it is a pain in the as$ to set up it again in the PB. Not to mention sync my calendar, contact, memo and task again with my Outlook.

Bridge all the way FTW.
    ritesh likes this.
    02-03-12 03:10 AM
    Agreed. I'll stick with the bridge email as it works very well. A few updates to the bridge apps will be welcome. Though not as welcome as a decent PDF READER ADOBE!

Mind you, native email will be a very nice overdue feature for non-blackberry users.
    02-03-12 04:51 AM
    Well, if I did understand well the demos :

1. Setup your "native email" client for personal and social accounts
    2. Your bridged phone accounts will self-integrate in the native environment.

No pain, no hassle !
    mbangoza likes this.
    02-03-12 05:10 AM

Draft messages are only stored on your phone and not synced, so any drafts won't be accessible from the PB
    Draft messages are synced now through bridge. Are you saying that will change with the OS update? I would assume that the bridge and native will work together to aggregate all messages.
    02-03-12 08:22 AM
    Draft messages are synced now through bridge. Are you saying that will change with the OS update? I would assume that the bridge and native will work together to aggregate all messages.
    Draft messages will continue to be accessible over Bridge, but they will not be accessible in the native email app. I think what you've missed is that on an OS 2.0 PB you'll see Bridge email and native email as two completely separate apps. All the new features they've shown off at CES are for the native email only, Bridge will look pretty much like it does today (though there are some enhancements). They don't work together to aggregate messages.
    Chaddface likes this.
    02-03-12 01:13 PM
    I use the Bridge everyday. And I don't see myself using Native e-mail. Although, I can see the point being made for it, and all PB owners may not be BlackBerry owners.

It really boils down to personal preference. Mine is the Bridge.

Your Mileage may vary.
    02-03-12 01:52 PM
    I think I will be sticking with Bridge but from some of the demo videos it seems like the native email has a nice integration of social media like Twitter and Linkedin. I like this kind of all inclusive contact/email/messaging but I prefer the security that Bridge offers. I would welcome an update to the bridged calendar and contacts apps though. They seem to plain. I will be watching this forum for some other people's experiences though.
    02-03-12 05:20 PM
    I'll Stick to Bridge, that works well enough to me and every sync could go wrong, something I thrust Bridged BlueTooth not to "sync" the wrong data.
    02-23-12 01:38 PM
    would love the BAR file. please.
    02-23-12 01:42 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD