Hey i was just curious on the different os shells that can be installed on the playbook
    11-26-12 07:11 PM
    There are no "shells' unless of course, you mean cases. Of which, there is many - BlackBerry PlayBook Cases | ShopCrackBerry
    11-26-12 07:24 PM
    Hey i was just curious on the different os shells that can be installed on the playbook
    You can THEME the PlayBook if ROOTED, thing is upon first boot PlayBook auto updates OS unless you intervene- Last "rootable" OS ver being 2.0.0.4869. Once the PB boots, you cannot revert to previous OS , nor "root" the device.

Current OS 2.1.0.1088 as of 2012-11-26 is not rootable.
    AFAIK, the GUI is not customizable to any degree. Only thing you can do is change the wallpaper unless the device has been rooted.

Short story as it pertains to rooting, If you have a brand new PB, you could root it, mess around with icons, customize GUI most likely. If you power the unit up and let it download via wi-fi the latest OS "update" it encrypts the bootloader, strips the ability to root, and also keeps you from reverting to a version of the OS that could be rooted.

With the above said- If you find any skins or shells let me know
    Current OS 2.1.0.1088 as of 2012-11-26 is not rootable.

PlayBook Rooting forum:
    PlayBook Rooting - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...how-do-755178/
    SliverBlade likes this.
    11-26-12 07:56 PM
    K well i guess i kind of screwed myself over when i updated to 2.1.0.1088. Atm i'm working with 2.1.0.560 but i assume that it's the same case. I sometimes wish that Blackberry went under making it easier for people to manipulate the OS
    11-27-12 12:43 AM
    K well i guess i kind of screwed myself over when i updated to 2.1.0.1088. Atm i'm working with 2.1.0.560 but i assume that it's the same case. I sometimes wish that Blackberry went under making it easier for people to manipulate the OS
    Pretty sure 2.1.0.560 will be locked down as well. You're screwed.

RIM, most customers want:

Ability to customize device.
    Netflix
    Hulu
    VOIP apps? (Anyone have any apps that work 100% with Google Voice, let me know!)
    Google Play market
    (They strip this out as it completes with "App World") Hey RIM, if you got a decent selection of apps, and make sure pricing matched competitors people would get their apps from App World... All I have to say is I feel sorry for the RIM fan boys would bought PlayBooks when they first came out! From what I've read 2.1 was the OS the PlayBook should have shipped at and the app store is well, ditto.

*Seems to me all the above would be a no-brainer except "customizing" the device as in a corporate environment you want the device configurations the same.

SliverBlade likes this.
    11-28-12 11:25 AM
    Oh how I wish Skype and Netflix worked on the PB.
    11-28-12 12:13 PM
    I've got a Icecream sandwich 2.4 running on my playbook but it's only a shell and is missing everything in it. would it be possible to somehow fill the ICS OS with it's original content allowing us to use google play?
    12-15-12 05:36 PM
    I've got a Icecream sandwich 2.4 running on my playbook but it's only a shell and is missing everything in it. would it be possible to somehow fill the ICS OS with it's original content allowing us to use google play?
    That is a question those on this board are unlikely (or unwilling) to be able to assist with. Most likely response you will get on "this" board is if you want a Android tablet you should go buy Android tablet if you want Android. To answer your question so far as to somehow fill the ICS OS with it's original content allowing us to use google play- I have no idea to the specifics but I would assume once you ID hardware the PlayBook uses it would be possible. I would think in Android land (somewhere out there) there are tools for building OS images.

Q: I'd be interested in how you got Icecream sandwich 2.4 running on a PlayBook. Please copy and paste file names used (Along with MD5, CRC32 SHA-1 hash values of files used.) Detail what apps you used to flash the image, etc.
    Example:
    Name_of)image_file_used.iso /bin, etc
    CRC32: F293C7FA
    MD5: DEB79C0E01C028B284F075D1F314AE9D
    SHA-1: ABC654668C841E9C00247078E1CCE97667FDA10B

"Hashtab" if your running Window/Mac is a great file extension: (It's free, has no ad/ spyware)

Q: What version of the PlayBook OS was it running before you flashed Icecream Sandwich 2.4?
    Q: Is this a dual-boot setup?

12-15-12 11:56 PM