Hi all,

Is there any app where I can have a useful local shell (not telnet/ssh to another machine) where I can do things like pings, telnets, traceroutes, copy/move files, vi/edit files etc and other command line stuff.

DOSBOX isn't really up to it (unless someone has binaries I can put on it? Oooh maybe I can get DOS versions of networking tools?

cheers,
    Steve

edit: DOS622 or WinXP versions of ping don't work....
    07-31-12 05:26 AM
    BGShell is a start but still needs more.
    07-31-12 05:42 AM
    Konsole.bar (credits to xsacha)
    07-31-12 06:09 AM
    That seems to be the same as BGShell - no networking commands there? Not even vi?

Ah found ping, but no rights to run it (in /base/usr/bin)
    Last edited by SteveCoops; 07-31-12 at 07:00 AM.
    07-31-12 06:57 AM
    I hadn't heard of BGShell, but yes that seems to be the exact same thing. But commands aren't part of a shell. As on every other system, every command you can run is actually a binary that must be present on the device. The shell just lets you run them. So for example to be able to use vi, you would have to get a vi binary compiled for QNX and place it on the device, give it the right permissions to allow execution and then run it. You probably wouldn't be able to put it in a folder that's in the PATH variable, so you'd have to type the full path to the binary to run it.

You'd need to use chmod to change the permissions of files to allow them to run, but that doesn't seem to be possible on some files. (I have definitely done it before on the PB, but the last time I tried it didn't work).
    07-31-12 07:06 AM
    So this shell is actually a proper QNX shell and not something faked? OK I wonder if any binaries from a QNX build in a VM on my desktop (e.g. VMware Target) would run on it then?
    07-31-12 07:36 AM
    So this shell is actually a proper QNX shell and not something faked? OK I wonder if any binaries from a QNX build in a VM on my desktop (e.g. VMware Target) would run on it then?
    If the binaries are compiled correctly, they'll work. However, I have no idea how one would go about doing that. I don't know what architecture the processor in the PB is (EDIT: ARM? maybe), but I'd guess that'd probably need to be taken into account as well.
    07-31-12 07:54 AM
    ...As on every other system, every command you can run is actually a binary that must be present on the device. The shell just lets you run them.
    Well, this is what we call the opposite of true, unless you mean something other than you have written, which I expect you do. Specifically, I expect you mean every <i>*nix</i> system. Because you only have to look to something as mundane as DOS to find a system where the core ("internal") set of commands is embedded into a single binary: In the case of DOS, that would be the command interpreter -- COMMAND.COM by default.

Of course, that is, once again, only for the core set of commands. Every other ("external") command is then represented, as you say, by a binary compiled to run on that device.

So for example to be able to use vi, you would have to get a vi binary compiled for QNX and place it on the device, give it the right permissions to allow execution and then run it.
    And something like a a text editor is a prime example of something that would not be in the set of internal commands in a typical OS, so with this example, you'd need the compiled binary wither way.
    07-31-12 12:42 PM
    Well, this is what we call the opposite of true, unless you mean something other than you have written, which I expect you do. Specifically, I expect you mean every <i>*nix</i> system.
    Sorry, yes I meant nix systems, including QNX. I forgot DOS does things differently (and I think Windows too).
    07-31-12 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD