I have two 1343's. One purchased last April and one in August or there about.
    If by last April you mean April 2011 then I can understand why you have a 1343 serial number, but August 2011 is a little late to have a 1343 serial number, perhaps the store didn't sell the PlayBook as much as other stores, or it might have been a low traffic store.

With your 1343's do you have the recessed power button too? And the slightly bulged back cover?

My recently replaced 32gig and the rma one both have 1343 serial numbers. One was purchased LAST April. The rma one arrived this week. It looks brand new but I cannot tell. My 64gig is 1344.

The RMA one MAY be a refurbished model, although if it is refurbished it would be tested by RIM and all the hardware would be looked at a bit more closely than the PlayBook's that go from the assembly line into a box and on to a store shelf. Interestingly enough if you mean this April that's very surprising for a 1343 serial number to appear, the 64 GB model you have is the most recent purchase I would assume?
    05-26-12 08:22 PM
    With your 1343's do you have the recessed power button too? And the slightly bulged back cover?
    Correct and correct.
    One is in RIM's possession now because the button was getting too hard to press. That is was the August buy. My first day purchase has a flush button but it works fine.
    05-26-12 09:20 PM
    Correct and correct.
    One is in RIM's possession now because the button was getting too hard to press. That is was the August buy. My first day purchase has a flush button but it works fine.
    Now we seem to be getting somewhere

So in terms of the recessed power button perhaps the 1343's are indicative of that power button.

I did think the bulge was only on the more recent PlayBooks (1344's) but we did hear of talks that the manufacturing process changed so no dice there.

Do you happen to have the box handy?

A 1343 plus a close boxing date could indicate a faulty batch. If we could just see if the numbers match up with the other PlayBook's having this issue then maybe we can confirm it it's a faulty batch or perhaps just random defective units.
    05-26-12 09:53 PM
    The RMA one MAY be a refurbished model, although if it is refurbished it would be tested by RIM and all the hardware would be looked at a bit more closely than the PlayBook's that go from the assembly line into a box and on to a store shelf. Interestingly enough if you mean this April that's very surprising for a 1343 serial number to appear, the 64 GB model you have is the most recent purchase I would assume?
    It may be refurbished but if so, it is UNblemished. The one it replaced was from April 2011.

And the 64gig from early this year.
    05-27-12 12:21 AM
    Now we seem to be getting somewhere

So in terms of the recessed power button perhaps the 1343's are indicative of that power button.

I did think the bulge was only on the more recent PlayBooks (1344's) but we did hear of talks that the manufacturing process changed so no dice there.

Do you happen to have the box handy?

A 1343 plus a close boxing date could indicate a faulty batch. If we could just see if the numbers match up with the other PlayBook's having this issue then maybe we can confirm it it's a faulty batch or perhaps just random defective units.
    I just looked at the box.
    I have a 080411.
    April 8th 2011?

I bought this one the first day.
    Could they have boxed and shipped to stores that fast?
    05-27-12 09:37 AM
    I just looked at the box.
    I have a 080411.
    April 8th 2011?

I bought this one the first day.
    Could they have boxed and shipped to stores that fast?
    Possibly,

As with most products what happens is they let a few weeks for the stock to build, chances are this particular unit probably was in the later batch and I wouldn't be surprised if it arrived on the 18th of April and you had bought it on the 19th of April (Official launch day)

I'm wondering how many others who have bought their PlayBooks on launch day and within April 19th to May 18th are reporting this issue as well.
    05-27-12 10:38 AM
    I've got the same sharp metal since one month after purchasing
    the production date is 070611 and serial number 1344xxxxxxx
    the metal only come out on the left and right side (if you're holding it landscape)

Battery Guru stats: charge count 110, health 88%, now is 6 months old

the battery consumed 5% overnight with airplane mode, which isnt the best but tolerable

--BB700 using Crackberry Apps
    05-27-12 12:35 PM
    I've got the same sharp metal since one month after purchasing
    the production date is 070611 and serial number 1344xxxxxxx
    the metal only come out on the left and right side (if you're holding it landscape)

Battery Guru stats: charge count 110, health 88%, now is 6 months old

the battery consumed 5% overnight with airplane mode, which isnt the best but tolerable

--BB700 using Crackberry Apps
    So far I'm noticing that both affected PlayBook's have 2011 boxing/build dates. Do you also have a recessed power button?

Judging by the 1344 I think you'd have a raised power button and maybe a budge on the backing.
    05-27-12 01:03 PM
    Does anyone else with a PlayBook have these sharp things coming out of the side? Could it be from over use? I use my PlayBook all day every day. I usually have to charge it at the end of the night.

Click to view quoted image
    Do us a favor and post the production date from the side of the box. It will be a 6-digit number right below "Accessories made in China". This will let us know if ours is in the same batch.
    05-27-12 01:50 PM
    So far I'm noticing that both affected PlayBook's have 2011 boxing/build dates. Do you also have a recessed power button?

Judging by the 1344 I think you'd have a raised power button and maybe a budge on the backing.

The power button is raised just like normal
    no buldge on behind
    is this got to do with my habit of charging my PB whenever it reach below 60%?

--BB 9700 using Crackberry Apps
    05-27-12 11:06 PM
    I doubt it has anything to do with when or how often you charge it.
    05-28-12 04:23 AM
    We still don't even know what the "leaking" substance is? Some hardened gel? Some hardened liquid leaking from the battery? Something liberated from double-sided tape? Is the rubber backing glued with this substance? Someone with the issue would have to open the unit and find its "flow path" to see where it originated and that would potentially void any warranty.
    05-28-12 08:32 AM
    my PlayBook S/N starts with 1343, purchased 10/2011 from Best Buy in California...ill check out the build date when I get back home today.
    05-29-12 11:02 AM
    We still don't even know what the "leaking" substance is? Some hardened gel? Some hardened liquid leaking from the battery? Something liberated from double-sided tape? Is the rubber backing glued with this substance? Someone with the issue would have to open the unit and find its "flow path" to see where it originated and that would potentially void any warranty.
    Seems to be a leak in the battery, it is a lithium polymer battery so I'm basing my judgement on that.

my PlayBook S/N starts with 1343, purchased 10/2011 from Best Buy in California...ill check out the build date when I get back home today.
    I wonder, does your PlayBook have a recessed power button?
    05-29-12 11:05 AM
    I wonder, does your PlayBook have a recessed power button?
    yes, it does.
    05-29-12 11:19 AM
    yes, it does.
    Interesting, I'm noticing a trend with these serial numbers,

The ones who have 1343 serial numbers have PlayBooks with recessed power buttons, I'm wondering if there is another differentiator we can use to sort out
    05-29-12 11:52 AM
    My newer 1343 power button is NOT recessed by it may be a refurbished. I don't know if they place that "swiping hands screen protector" on refurbs. Again, it has no noticeable blemishes - looks absolutely brand new.
    05-29-12 12:46 PM
    Do us a favor and post the production date from the side of the box. It will be a 6-digit number right below "Accessories made in China". This will let us know if ours is in the same batch.
    the box shows 050411
    05-29-12 06:50 PM
    Seems to be a leak in the battery, it is a lithium polymer battery so I'm basing my judgement on that.
    I wonder how many of you actually know that when a lithium polymer battery leaks, it explodes(well technically speaking it catches fire)? I use these type of batteries every day in the R/C airplane hobby and have been using them for years(long before they started showing up in our electronic devices). That is the biggest warning about these type of batteries. There are numerous youtube videos about overcharging causing a pack to burst and explode. When lithium touches air it catches fire, Ive seen it happen when a plane crashes and the battery pack gets cut and is exposed to air.
    05-30-12 06:23 AM
    I have a playbook with 1343, purchased November 2011, during the big sale. I know for the fact that it was a new stock, because the store was out of stock for a while. My button is flat. I don't have the battery problem, although battery consumption is rather annoying (more of an OS issue). I do wonder whether it has to do with where it was purchased? As for the production manufacturer, RIM hasn't sold all the PB's made by Quanta yet :O
    05-30-12 08:23 AM
    I wonder how many of you actually know that when a lithium polymer battery leaks, it explodes(well technically speaking it catches fire)? I use these type of batteries every day in the R/C airplane hobby and have been using them for years(long before they started showing up in our electronic devices). That is the biggest warning about these type of batteries. There are numerous youtube videos about overcharging causing a pack to burst and explode. When lithium touches air it catches fire, Ive seen it happen when a plane crashes and the battery pack gets cut and is exposed to air.
    Yes I know this about lithium polymer batteries, typically if you puncture it let's just say that's definitely not a good idea.

Looking at some dissassembly videos, I really can't figure out what can leak out of the PlayBook.
    05-30-12 08:51 AM
    Nice discussion, found it very informative... I'm new over here, cheers from Argentina to everyone. Just a question: Homer1475, are you MrGizmo757 in YouTube? Find your PB disassambly video!
    05-30-12 04:55 PM
    I always thought it was contact with water that produced flammable side effects. Might be something else I'm thinking of. Nevertheless, there are two compounds in batteries and the lithium-type is either ionic or polymer-based to go along with the lithium. But I really don't know that much about them to say with certainty.
    05-30-12 05:35 PM
    Sharp pieces? Man, sharp products are quite nice! Just make sure to use gloves when handling it.
    no pun intended, but I wish my bold was a knife in disguise!
    05-30-12 09:31 PM
    S/N starts with 1343
    Date on box 110411
    Picked up April 19 2011
    Recessed power button
    Flat back
    No sharp pieces (yet)
    05-30-12 10:05 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD