Does anyone else with a PlayBook have these sharp things coming out of the side? Could it be from over use? I use my PlayBook all day every day. I usually have to charge it at the end of the night.

05-25-12 02:21 PM
    There have been other post with similar photos, Looks like the battery has sprung a leak.
    Contact RIM.
    Vorkosigan and carbon98accord like this.
    05-25-12 02:23 PM
    RoseBud68 is correct, this is i think the third such thread this week. which is making me think faulty batch. I believe RMA is the current recommended solution. whatever the case, this is a question for RIM customer support.
    05-25-12 02:48 PM
    Awe that bites. Time for a RMA.
    05-25-12 03:09 PM
    That ain't right at all. The pic is a little blurry but there should not be anything like that on the side of any playbook.

RMA it ASAP and hopefully they can take care of it if not send you a new one.
    05-25-12 03:14 PM
    Does anyone else with a PlayBook have these sharp things coming out of the side? Could it be from over use? I use my PlayBook all day every day. I usually have to charge it at the end of the night.

Click to view quoted image
    Could you let us know any information about your PlayBook?

As in the build/boxing date, if it has the recessed or non recessed power button etc?

I'm wondering if the poster is right about a faulty batch, perhaps more users might be faced with this problem and I think everyone would want to know if these PlayBooks have something in common in terms of the above criteria.
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 05-25-12 at 04:08 PM.
    Tomcat_Alley likes this.
    05-25-12 03:15 PM
    What are the "sharp things"? Metal?
    05-25-12 03:42 PM
    I'm so sorry this has happened to yet another Playbook. Hope RIM makes it right for you and also hope this isn't a more widespread issue than we know at this point.
    05-25-12 03:51 PM
    The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    carbon98accord likes this.
    05-25-12 04:40 PM
    That ain't right at all. The pic is a little blurry but there should not be anything like that on the side of any playbook.

RMA it ASAP and hopefully they can take care of it if not send you a new one.
    Sorry, it was the best photo I could take with my 9900...here's a phot with an actual camera:

Could you let us know any information about your PlayBook?

As in the build/boxing date, if it has the recessed or non recessed power button etc?

I'm wondering if the poster is right about a faulty batch, perhaps more users might be faced with this problem and I think everyone would want to know if these PlayBooks have something in common in terms of the above criteria.
    The Build ID is 186652 and it has a recessed button. 16GB PlayBook.

What are the "sharp things"? Metal?
    As I run my finger along it...It feels like sharp metal.
    05-25-12 05:26 PM
    I think that 90 day period is from the day you bought it. The serial is registered as soon as you get the receipt, so I don't think it matters when you register for it.

At least, this is what i believe.
    I called support for a 10 month old PB a couple days ago. Like the OP I registered while on the phone and the free tech support started then. Actually on the website it says I have 175 days of support left so maybe they doubled it. Best to have access to email and Internet when calling.
    05-25-12 06:41 PM
    Hey it's not all bad! You could go around scratching the oppositions Ipad screens when the're not looking
    05-25-12 06:54 PM
    Update, I called RIM support, they are going to send a FedEx box to me, and I will have to send my PlayBook to their repair facility. If they determine that I caused the problem, I can choose to get it repaired or not. If they determine that it wasnt caused by me, they will either repair it or give me a new one. Before we started talking about repairing it, they asked me to register my PlayBook on their website. Once I sign up, I will get 90 days of technical support for free (because of this, I do not recommend signing up for it until you actually have a problem). The phone call took about 35 minutes. I will keep you updated on what happens. Let me know if you need any more information about my PlayBook.

Id also like to mention that my PlayBook didnt always look this bad. I probably only saw one or two little pieces about 3 months after the purchase. 4 months after that, it has snowballed.
    05-25-12 07:11 PM
    quick question... what does it matter if the power button is recessed or not?

My first PlayBook last May had the recessed power button. Then I did an RMA in July and they had made the power button easier to use. I had to do a second RMA in December, and although my device felt like it was "new" again, it had the same serial number and the same power button which was easy to press.

I just did an RMA repair at the beginning of this month, I got back a PlayBook with a different serial number, and NO turquoise/blue film over the camera lens and BlackBerry logo...and the power button is like the original PlayBook..HARD to press.

I don't mind that it's a little hard to press, because I usually power it off (rarely) using the onscreen Power Off, and sometimes I'd accidentally put my PlayBook into standby mode by hitting the easier to press button..........but now I'm worried that a recessed power button is a sign of an older model...
    05-25-12 07:13 PM
    Update, I called RIM support, they are going to send a FedEx box to me, and I will have to send my PlayBook to their repair facility. If they determine that I caused the problem, I can choose to get it repaired or not. If they determine that it wasnt caused by me, they will either repair it or give me a new one. Before we started talking about repairing it, they asked me to register my PlayBook on their website. Once I sign up, I will get 90 days of technical support for free (because of this, I do not recommend signing up for it until you actually have a problem). The phone call took about 35 minutes. I will keep you updated on what happens. Let me know if you need any more information about my PlayBook.

Id also like to mention that my PlayBook didnt always look this bad. I probably only saw one or two little pieces about 3 months after the purchase. 4 months after that, it has snowballed.
    I think that 90 day period is from the day you bought it. The serial is registered as soon as you get the receipt, so I don't think it matters when you register for it.

At least, this is what i believe.
    05-25-12 07:33 PM
    Looks like the case is separating. Does the back seem like it's bulging out?
    The only metal is that lighter colored gray ring around the screen. It must be the battery"juice"leaking and hardening.

I wonder if it's dangerous to use or charge like that?
    05-25-12 07:35 PM
    same thing happened to mine and i had a recessed power button
    05-25-12 07:41 PM
    quick question... what does it matter if the power button is recessed or not?

My first PlayBook last May had the recessed power button. Then I did an RMA in July and they had made the power button easier to use. I had to do a second RMA in December, and although my device felt like it was "new" again, it had the same serial number and the same power button which was easy to press.

I just did an RMA repair at the beginning of this month, I got back a PlayBook with a different serial number, and NO turquoise/blue film over the camera lens and BlackBerry logo...and the power button is like the original PlayBook..HARD to press.

I don't mind that it's a little hard to press, because I usually power it off (rarely) using the onscreen Power Off, and sometimes I'd accidentally put my PlayBook into standby mode by hitting the easier to press button..........but now I'm worried that a recessed power button is a sign of an older model...

Yeah I would think so, the raised power button is probably the first noticeable hardware revision RIM probably had, devices go through hardware revisions but until the end user notices something different, it mostly goes unnoticed.

The raised power button does signify a newer PlayBook, BUT with that being said, I've heard of people who have gotten PlayBook's in Late April 2011 (Launch month) and that have had the raised power button. Not sure but that's just word of mouth.

However, all demo units of the PlayBook sent to reviewers, as well as first batch or so of PlayBooks did have the recessed power button. Another thing is the bulge on the back. Interestingly enough it looks like the first batches of PlayBook's had a flat back.

RIM also got a bit ticked off with Quanta Computers at one point and rumour has it they changed some production method or used a different factory but who knows what happened.

There are so many variables right now that our only clues are build/boxing date, power button, maybe the back bulge, as well as the serial number.

Sorry, it was the best photo I could take with my 9900...here's a phot with an actual camera:

Click to view quoted image

The Build ID is 186652 and it has a recessed button. 16GB PlayBook.

Thank you

Just a quick note, I believe that Build ID is the software build ID,
    05-25-12 09:01 PM
    thats LITHIUM leaking and hardening.
    05-25-12 09:06 PM
    thats LITHIUM leaking and hardening.
    Probably shouldn't lick it then.
    SK122387 likes this.
    05-25-12 09:26 PM
    Just a quick note, I believe that Build ID is the software build ID,
    How do I retreive the build date?
    05-26-12 02:22 PM
    It MAY be located somewhere inside the unit. The date most rely on is the date on the outside of the box. Some of us think that is the date the unit was packaged.
    05-26-12 06:01 PM
    Also if you're willing to share,

A part of the serial number (Do NOT write out the full serial number)

As F2 states, that could be a "build" date or a boxing date, that we really don't know.

My serial number starts with 134473xxxxxx

I highly doubt anyone has a PlayBook with the first 4 digits being 1343, I'm almost certain that the majority of PlayBook's have a 1344 set of digits for their first 4 digits of the serial number. My hypothesis for this one is that RIM raising the power button might have caused them to skip over to the 1344 series of serial numbers.
    05-26-12 06:19 PM

I highly doubt anyone has a PlayBook with the first 4 digits being 1343, I'm almost certain that the majority of PlayBook's have a 1344 set of digits for their first 4 digits of the serial number. My hypothesis for this one is that RIM raising the power button might have caused them to skip over to the 1344 series of serial numbers.
    I have two 1343's. One purchased last April and one in August or there about.
    05-26-12 06:28 PM
    My recently replaced 32gig and the rma one both have 1343 serial numbers. One was purchased LAST April. The rma one arrived this week. It looks brand new but I cannot tell. My 64gig is 1344.
    05-26-12 07:32 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD