Hi all, this post just to share how I finally managed my long lasting WIFI problem. I have a 16 gb PB always updated to the latest os, official or for developers. My PB connected to my WIFI just to disconnect seconds after.. And then reconnected.. And than disconnected and so on.. Very frustating! Then I realized I have 8 different WIFI near my home and read that in Italy most devices use channel 1 or 11 to broadcast.. I then changed settings of my home WIFI to channel 8.. And KABOOM!! No more WIFI disconnections.. No more WIFI issues..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    12-06-12 07:06 AM
    Your message may help others and that is a good thing.
    12-06-12 09:01 AM
    Other devices on the same channel that are in range of your wifi can and will cause issues. If you have a friend that has an android device have them load an app called Wi-Fi Analytics Tool by Amped Wireless, it is free on Google Play. It shows all the channels and how many devices are with in range of your device and the strength of all the devices in range also. I tried to convert the app but it does not work correcty after conversion. I tried to find a playbook app that does the same thing but have not come across one yet.

Check it out here at the play store.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...BzLmFtcGVkIl0.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    12-06-12 09:05 AM
    Yes thanks for sharing. Your environment having 8 signals is pretty bad but I read another member on here having 13 wifi connections available in his home. YEESH!
    Now I am thankful I have a measly 3 connections. THANKS to both of you!!!
    12-06-12 09:10 AM
    I noticed that setting WiFi channel to 'Auto' rarely helps which seems odd given the access point should be actively scanning the channels to ensure a consistent connection. Happy to hear the OP found a resolution.
    12-06-12 11:12 AM
    HOW does one change their wifi settings at home?
    12-06-12 11:27 AM
    You have to log into your home router and find the setting for channels. Once you find this setting, you should be able to change it to a different channel of your choice.
    12-06-12 11:36 AM
    As a rough start type:

192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser. Be prepared with your user id and password. Then peruse the stuff you can screw up royally!
    Cracklen, todbanner and Zildjian71 like this.
    12-06-12 11:51 AM
    Yes thanks for sharing. Your environment having 8 signals is pretty bad but I read another member on here having 13 wifi connections available in his home. YEESH!
    Now I am thankful I have a measly 3 connections. THANKS to both of you!!!
    15! Pretty normal when you live in rented accommodation in a city. I change the WI-FI channel from time to time.
    12-06-12 01:36 PM
    Info like this is the foundation on crackberry. Thx OP worked like a charm
    todbanner likes this.
    12-06-12 02:41 PM
    I use channel 7 and crank it up all the way. Screw the neighbors who I don't even know their names...
    12-06-12 03:08 PM
    Anybody have any other ideas? I live out in the sticks and use a rogers rocket hub for internet access. There are no other wifi networks detectable (closest neighbour is about 300 feet away). I have a 64gb and 16gb playbook and they both drop the wifi connection constantly to the point where its pretty much useless to browse the web. I have tried deleting the network config and re-entering it on both and changing the wifi channel. I work from home all day everyday and my laptop never loses the connection. It is at the point that I want to buy a new tablet, and it would not be a playbook.
    12-06-12 04:57 PM
    Anybody have any other ideas? I live out in the sticks and use a rogers rocket hub for internet access. There are no other wifi networks detectable (closest neighbour is about 300 feet away). I have a 64gb and 16gb playbook and they both drop the wifi connection constantly to the point where its pretty much useless to browse the web. I have tried deleting the network config and re-entering it on both and changing the wifi channel. I work from home all day everyday and my laptop never loses the connection. It is at the point that I want to buy a new tablet, and it would not be a playbook.
    Could be your wifi router. I had a $40 dlink that worked fine for only my laptop but when I added 3 PlayBooks to the house they would always drop. I bought a new $140 netgear and no more dropping.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    12-06-12 05:51 PM
    I noticed a few things, one is that PB reverts to auto detect, so i make sure to use saved access once it's registering. Once connected I use the network properties to see what the router is, if it's wireless-b/g I make sure that the PB is on single rather than dual band. And on my saved network list I drag my most commonly used to the top of the list.
    Hope some of this helps!
    12-07-12 12:19 AM
    1.) Try to set the channel width to 20 MHz.
    2.) Try to switch back to 802.11b/g (switch off 'n').
    12-07-12 02:10 AM
    As a rough start type:

192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser. Be prepared with your user id and password. Then peruse the stuff you can screw up royally!
    or 192.168.0.1 is also common.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    12-07-12 02:29 AM
    If your laptop runs Win 7 and has a recent wifi card you can probably create a second hot spot using Connectify. I have run the BB Playbook and a Nexus 7 off this signal. I am using the free version but the pro version is $30. Download from the site and setup is easy.
    12-07-12 02:33 AM
    My router has a "guest network" feature - tried using that for the playbooks here - that worked, but initially the guest network would only use G (apparently something to do with the security key!?). This worked - more reliable but slow. The changing channels fix has improved wifi on everything here and seems to be working for the playbooks. In the process I got my guest network to use N as well. I'm still using the guest networks for the playbooks but wifi seems to be better and faster all round. The Android app suggested was excellent - interesting as well as useful.

In the UK, BT provides a wifi service for it's subscribers away from home - it might be worth checking what channel it uses in your area and setting your router to something different because it could be the strongest signal around and causing interference.
    12-07-12 02:47 AM
    As a rough start type:

What about when you forget that user id and password?
    12-07-12 04:05 AM
    What about when you forget that user id and password?
    If you have never changed it in the past, there are lists of default passwords on the internet. Commonly they are blank username and password 'admin' for Linksys, many others are admin:admin, user:user, or admin:12345.

To revert to the default password, you will have to hold down the reset button for 30-120 seconds which will remove ALL customisation, including WiFi SSIDs and encryption.
    omega supreme likes this.
    12-07-12 04:28 AM
    Try lowering the beacon interval in wireless settings. This helped allow my 9800 maintain a connection.
    12-07-12 04:30 AM
    In my experience (in the UK) using channel 13 is great as hardly anyone ever goes there. Due to most wi-fi kit being US centric it usually defaults to 1 or 11.

But it is annoying that some gear just doesn't go as far as 13 so sometimes I get in a bit of kit to service that wont find it so I switch back to 1 (thats the one core channel of the three (1/6 and 11) that is the least used in my area).

However, I have found that channels 7/8 and 9 are not that great to use. I think those channels are the ones most affected by interference from DECT phones or microwave ovens in my area.
    12-07-12 04:34 AM
    In my experience (in the UK) using channel 13 is great as hardly anyone ever goes there. Due to most wi-fi kit being US centric it usually defaults to 1 or 11.

But it is annoying that some gear just doesn't go as far as 13 so sometimes I get in a bit of kit to service that wont find it so I switch back to 1 (thats the one core channel of the three (1/6 and 11) that is the least used in my area).

However, I have found that channels 7/8 and 9 are not that great to use. I think those channels are the ones most affected by interference from DECT phones or microwave ovens in my area.
    DECT shouldn't affect WiFi as it operates in 1880-1930 MHz, outside the WiFi spectrum. The older 2.4 GHz phones were horrible and do affect WiFi, as do some wireless mice.
    12-07-12 05:00 AM
    Yeah thats more likely, I do know that quality of connection dropped quite a bit using the upper middle bands.

When I used the term DECT I used it to differentiate from mobile phones for the wireless phones we use at home.
    12-07-12 05:11 AM
    If you have never changed it in the past, there are lists of default passwords on the internet. Commonly they are blank username and password 'admin' for Linksys, many others are admin:admin, user:user, or admin:12345.

To revert to the default password, you will have to hold down the reset button for 30-120 seconds which will remove ALL customisation, including WiFi SSIDs and encryption.
    The other BIG thing it will probably forget is the User ID and Password to log into your ISP. That info is usually entered into the Router's Settings, also. So, if you don't know those, find them out before going any further or you could lose access to your isp and the entire web!!!!!
    12-07-12 08:53 AM
43 12