Yes you can borrow anyone s Micro SIM, active or not, on AT&T. The update performs over WiFi first. It actually recommends WiFi.
    Thanks for your most recent posts here and on the other thread. Just ordered one and will cross my fingers that I can beg/borrow an AT&T SIM and make it work.
    10-05-13 12:25 PM
    No problem. Any issues with updating it let me know.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    10-05-13 12:39 PM
    No problem. Any issues with updating it let me know.
    Great, thanks. So if I understand correctly, you can use an inactive SIM. If you insert an active SIM (i.e. from your father-in-law's phone), will the PB activate itself on the mobile network? Or is it just looking for the physical presence of a SIM to do the download?

Do you think something like this might do the trick?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...item2a2fa67392
    Last edited by rfkuehn; 10-06-13 at 09:29 AM.
    10-06-13 09:01 AM
    Yes it will work. It only looks for the presence of a SIM card.

10-06-13 12:07 PM
    OK thanks - just made the big $5 commitment for a SIM. SKU 40954 is an AT&T micro SIM (I noticed a few other variants, but that SKU# seemed most common).

Hope to share the joy later this week...
    10-06-13 12:36 PM
    What frequency/ frequencies do these run on?

Specifically, wanting to run a t-mobile(us) and an orange (uk) sim. 4G would be great, but if not 3G will suffice...is that do-able?
    Not up on my frequencies, so any assistance appreciated.
    10-08-13 05:26 PM
    I am from Canada but did use my LTE tablet in the US on. T mobile pre paid card worked fine but coverage was pretty lousy, at least in the pacific northwest corridor, Spokane washinton down to southern Oregon. It did pick up 4g, more on roaming than on t mobile. This caused me to blow through my pre paid card pretty quick but it does work on tmobiles network!!
    10-08-13 05:49 PM
    What frequency/ frequencies do these run on?

Specifically, wanting to run a t-mobile(us) and an orange (uk) sim. 4G would be great, but if not 3G will suffice...is that do-able?
    Not up on my frequencies, so any assistance appreciated.
    Check the LTE PlayBook page on BlackBerry's page (not the mobile version of the page though) and you'll see the frequencies it is compatible with. Next I would check with the intended providers and make sure they'll allow the PlayBook on their networks (for instance Verizon does not) .

And finally I would check with the seller to be sure the unit you'll be getting will be one that communicates on those frequencies.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 06:20 PM
    LTE compatibility is 700mhz, 1700mhz. HSPA+ is 2100mhz, 1900mhz, 1700mhz, 800mhz, 900mhz. Covers a lot of bands.

10-08-13 06:23 PM
    OK it worked.

Got the PB 4G for $160:
    Blackberry Playbook LTE 32GB Wi Fi 4G Unlocked 7in Black | eBay
    Got an AT&T SIM for $5:
    At T Micro Sim Card 3G 4G LTE Brand New Unactivated SKU 40954 Prepaid Postpaid | eBay

First I installed the SIM before doing anything else, didn't like the feel of the SIM tray, won't slide it out again, ever. Charged overnight before turning on. Proceeded through setup screens, swiped past wireless network setup without doing it, activated WiFi network. Software upgrade popped up and executed. Still can't find a way to skip the tutorial.

Only mild surprise was that Desktop wouldn't let me "Switch Device" from my PB WiFi 2.1.0.1753 to PB 4G 2.1.0.1282 as the s/w version I was moving to was lower/older than the prior version. No big deal though, 1-2 hours in front of the TV and I had the PB 4G configured.

Haven't done much with it yet but does seem a small bit snappier. Not planning to activiate the 4G LTE. So really the novelty of having a 4G LTE in the USA was really the biggest reason for me to get it.

Was Canada the only place it was released?
    Brian Levy likes this.
    10-11-13 01:24 PM
    Rogers SIM will give you the bump to 1753, active or not. Just did it.

10-11-13 06:01 PM
    For those who don't think it's worth the upgrade, I beg to differ. The performance bump and LTE are amazing!

here's the video

BlackBerry PlayBook Wi-Fi vs. 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook - Does the extra power really matter? | CrackBerry.com
    10-11-13 06:08 PM
    Rogers SIM will give you the bump to 1753, active or not. Just did it.
    Just ordered a Rogers LTE SIM on ebay for about $10. Thanks.
    Last edited by rfkuehn; 10-19-13 at 06:22 PM.
    10-11-13 09:11 PM
    Update: Rogers LTE micro SIM arrived today (eBay seller). After loading the SIM I had to manually check for updates, but 1753 came up right away. Its running now.

I ordered another PB 4G for the wife, will just use the Rogers SIM and skip the AT&T (and write off the $5 for that SIM). Looks like that eBay seller is down to only 4 left, maybe he has another lot ready to post (?).

I wonder why we don't see more of these 4G's on eBay??
    10-19-13 06:22 PM
    No one thinks to look for them due to lack of advertisement and availability. Anyone who DOES have one already either is Canadian and stuck in a three year contract because of it (and won't sell it on principle - neither would I) , or they are someone who paid a fortune to import one back in August / September of last year. Whenever a 4G LTE PlayBook does pop up online , it's grabbed up pretty quickly. To put it into perspective, 92 LTE PlayBooks available WORLDWIDE on eBay from one seller. To be honest, if you got one, you're damn lucky.

10-20-13 07:24 AM
    I bought 2 here in Manitoba a few days ago. There are still some circulating in Canada. The 2 that I bought are brand new , but the boxes were opened, still have the screen protector on them. If you look around you can pick them up for a couple hundred each like I did, not the $300 or $500 some people on Ebay are paying. This is a fabulous Playbook faster and really cool to use on the 4G LTE network.
    Anyone know if these can be upgraded to the Beta OS 10.0 that was floating around? If anyone knows where I can find this please send the link.
    Thanks
    Used a Rogers Sim to update the OS, which is the latest for the Playbook. These were both unlocked so all I did is use Blackberry link and VOILA!.
    10-20-13 07:54 AM
    If you can find an extra box please let me know. Mine did not include a box and I would like to have it for keepsake. I will be glad to pay.

10-20-13 08:45 AM
    It was interesting to see some of the comments, now that they are more than a year old. Like this one:
    ----------------------
    "I cannot wait for the the 10" BlackForest to drop. It is roadmapped for 3Q 2013. 3 additional inches provides better usage for business purposes, i.e. reveiwing spreadseets also looking at movies on that size of screen cannot be all that bad. Transporting a tablet that size not a problem for the advantages. B1aze can you guys provide us with any updates on how this is progressing???"
    ----------------------

Yes, how is that progressing, the poster certainly makes it sound like it is a 'prosumer' device! Maybe the new company will eventually release a business tablet.
    Last edited by oilgeo10; 10-20-13 at 11:09 AM.
    10-20-13 10:57 AM
    Hello ND, I am from India and I've been reading through your thread all throughout this morning. Yesterday I just got a super deal on ebay india about an offer of the 32 gb LTE version of Playbook at just about 10USD (1USD=60INR). Talked to the seller and he's saying that the product is 100% genuine, has been imported from US and will be checked for damages before being sent to mine. So the box will remain open.I'm not very sure whether I should buy this and that's why I've also talked to a local service center and they agreed to do a verification of the unit upon a small charge of INR500.
    I'm still skeptical about buying this but since I'm a die hard BB fan so I'm very much interested.The selelr is consistent upon the ingenuity of the product and is also offering an ebay gurantee on th esame.

Need your expert insights- what do you think you'd have done in such a case.?

Many thanks .
    Ayan.
    10-09-14 05:55 AM
    Better be careful, how can you buy a PB at $10? Only the lcd is more than that price

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 12:00 AM
    Hello ND, I am from India and I've been reading through your thread all throughout this morning. Yesterday I just got a super deal on ebay india about an offer of the 32 gb LTE version of Playbook at just about 10USD (1USD=60INR). Talked to the seller and he's saying that the product is 100% genuine, has been imported from US and will be checked for damages before being sent to mine. So the box will remain open.I'm not very sure whether I should buy this and that's why I've also talked to a local service center and they agreed to do a verification of the unit upon a small charge of INR500.
    I'm still skeptical about buying this but since I'm a die hard BB fan so I'm very much interested.The selelr is consistent upon the ingenuity of the product and is also offering an ebay gurantee on th esame.

Need your expert insights- what do you think you'd have done in such a case.?

Many thanks .
    Ayan.
    You sure they ain't the cheap Chinese knockoffs?

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    10-12-14 08:11 PM
    If you can find an extra box please let me know. Mine did not include a box and I would like to have it for keepsake. I will be glad to pay.

Still looking for a box? I've got one you can have for free.