Looks like the Android Settings app (i.e. settings.bar) is hosed under 2.1.0.840. I get the standard security warning about all of the things that the app will try to access while running, then the window closes. The Settings app never successfully loads which is a real PITA since I like to use it to cleanly uninstall sideloaded apps.

Anyone else having any success using settings.bar under 2.1.0.840?

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-14-12 10:05 PM
    Same problem here with settings bar. Used that a lot to remove apps. Tried to delete it, no luck and no luck with reinstall either.
    08-14-12 10:10 PM
    Same problem here with settings bar. Used that a lot to remove apps. Tried to delete it, no luck and no luck with reinstall either.
    Thanks. Saved me the trouble of trying those steps myself or, heavens forbid, doing a security wipe.

RCK

08-14-12 10:18 PM
    Try using go launcher ex, it has settings built in..maybe they are not broken.
    08-14-12 10:42 PM
    I suspect that it's not really "hosed". The problem may be that you sideloaded an app that was already part of the android runtime. I sideloaded android "Email" running the prior beta 2.1, an app that was also part of the android runtime. All that sideloading gave me, really, was an icon on my desktop to open the app. Today, after the update, I had the same problem you had with "Settings". The app opened, asked for permissions, and then crashed. I thought that, oh well, I lost that app. I then tried to open the app through Ghost Commander, and Email opened with no problems. My point is, I can open the android "Settings" trough Ghost Commander without any problems also.
    08-14-12 11:07 PM
    Yes, it looks like one workaround is to access the app via a file manager, in my case estrongs. Still a bummer that I can't load the app directly from the desktop like I could under every previous version, but oh well...

RCK

08-14-12 11:41 PM
    I suspect that it's not really "hosed". The problem may be that you sideloaded an app that was already part of the android runtime. I sideloaded android "Email" running the prior beta 2.1, an app that was also part of the android runtime. All that sideloading gave me, really, was an icon on my desktop to open the app. Today, after the update, I had the same problem you had with "Settings". The app opened, asked for permissions, and then crashed. I thought that, oh well, I lost that app. I then tried to open the app through Ghost Commander, and Email opened with no problems. My point is, I can open the android "Settings" trough Ghost Commander without any problems also.
    for me even ghost commander behaves the same way. it asks for permissions and then crashes.

08-15-12 04:18 AM
    Try estrongs. Start the app, tap App Manager then tap Category and change the view to All types. You should now see icons for every installed Android app, including Settings. Tap it and you should be looking at the same page you would see from the settings.bar icon.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Rr evuntime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by rkennedy01; 08-15-12 at 08:32 AM.
    08-15-12 08:29 AM
    Is "estrongs" in appworld or sideloaded?
    08-15-12 09:42 AM
    He's talking about ES File Manager.
    Sideloaded ...
    10-03-12 06:23 PM
    i really need this settings.bar file
    12-12-12 05:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD