Hey all,

Just set up my hotmail using the new OS 2.0 email functionality. It is now proceeding to download all 6,000 emails in there (really old account) and treating each of them as a new message. I can't find a way of stopping this - am I missing something?
    02-21-12 10:43 AM
    My Gmail is doing this also -- and I am at work so it is tethered through my phone (no WIFI here). I am not even up to 2007 yet (it started in 2005) and it has been going for about 3 hours lol. The only other thing I notice is every now and again it gets rid of older messages -- my "New" messages indicator bounces from ~500 to ~250 and back again over and over.

I am hoping once I get home and put it back on my WIFI it will fly through the messages and settle itself down to the latest messages, getting rid of the older ones.

Travis
    02-21-12 11:39 AM
    I updated this morning and had the same problem. Here's the deal, by default the mail only syncs up to the last 7 days (unless you go into setting and change it). So what you have to do is go to google, hotmail, or whatever and in bulk "mark as read". This will zero that out. Since it only syncs for the last 7 days you just need to stick to that time frame. If you don't do this, the mail alert will go off about every 30 seconds. Trust me...this will get annoying.
    Dorian_At_ATT likes this.
    02-21-12 11:42 AM
    I dont know how to help sorry. But i always giggle at the disaster titles of some forum posts.
    02-21-12 11:44 AM
    OK so here is how I fixed my gmail. Pretty simple:

Delete the email account
    Put the email account in again

problem solved -- it didn't do it again!

Travis
    02-21-12 12:39 PM
    OK so here is how I fixed my gmail. Pretty simple:

Delete the email account
    Put the email account in again

problem solved -- it didn't do it again!

Travis
    Confirmed on my Hotmail account which kept trying to download all my emails and not having them all as unread. Also was getting server issue showing up for the hotmail account.

Deleted it and re added it. Good to go!!
    02-21-12 03:08 PM
    Need to remember Hotmail has disabled IMAP for non Hotmail Plus users.
    02-21-12 03:18 PM
    I had hotmail working yesterday on my PB OS 2.0. Today I removed the account cause I didn't want it to sync calendars and contacts. Initially I tried to just change that setting but it wouldn't let me so I figured I would delete the whole account and start again. But now I can't get it to add back in. Keeps saying that the server is not responding. Is "m.hotmail.com" the right server name?
    02-23-12 01:16 AM
    I had hotmail working yesterday on my PB OS 2.0. Today I removed the account cause I didn't want it to sync calendars and contacts. Initially I tried to just change that setting but it wouldn't let me so I figured I would delete the whole account and start again. But now I can't get it to add back in. Keeps saying that the server is not responding. Is "m.hotmail.com" the right server name?

I had the same issue before.

Instead of going into the advanced settings. Enter you login information at the "email, Calendar and Contacts" screen.

If that doesn't work then try it at another time
    02-23-12 01:43 AM
    Lol,maybe he got 6,000 emails for paternatey tests lol.
    02-23-12 01:49 AM
    Very odd. Mine works perfectly fine and only sync's to the past 7 days...
    02-23-12 02:02 AM
    Still no dice. What is going on?? I tried to add it without using the advanced and same response.

"The server m.hotmail.com for account xxxxxxx.msn.com is not responding"

Any clues?
    02-23-12 11:10 PM
    Still no dice. What is going on?? I tried to add it without using the advanced and same response.

"The server m.hotmail.com for account xxxxxxx.msn.com is not responding"

Any clues?
    This is unrelated to your Playbook. There was a Hotmail system outage today.
    02-23-12 11:20 PM
    Its been well over 24 hrs. Have the hotmail servers been out for that long?? I have been getting hotmail through web access and on my BB all day...

Does anyone know the correct name for the hotmail server?

Something tells me it isn't "m.hotmail.com" which is what the PlayBook is populating it as by default.

If someone has a successfully configured hotmail account, could you please check the server name and verify this for me?

I tried the blackberry email server validation tool and it is not succeeding in contacting the server either.
    02-23-12 11:54 PM
    Why so many old emails ? Before one adds an email account to their playbook which is not used often, one should log in that account first and clean it up or this might happen ? Would that be good advice ?
    02-24-12 12:03 AM
    Its been well over 24 hrs. Have the hotmail servers been out for that long?? I have been getting hotmail through web access and on my BB all day...

Does anyone know the correct name for the hotmail server?

Something tells me it isn't "m.hotmail.com" which is what the PlayBook is populating it as by default.

If someone has a successfully configured hotmail account, could you please check the server name and verify this for me?

I tried the blackberry email server validation tool and it is not succeeding in contacting the server either.
    Hotmail servers have been up and down all day after a major crash. Some are affected and others are not. The server name is indeed m.hotmail.com - it is shared by hotmail.com and live.com email addresses. Personally, I would not be surprised if it turns out that the OS 2 release is somehow involved in the crash given the coincidental timing and the fact that some people are reporting Playbooks trying to download thousands of messages. Even if 1000 users had the problem, multiply 1000 X 1000 and you get the picture that this could have unintended consequences. I hope it is not the case though since Microsoft and RIM are on good terms and RIM can use all the friends it can get at the moment.
    Last edited by swyost; 02-24-12 at 12:44 AM.
    02-24-12 12:08 AM
    Forgive me, but I can't help laughing my a$$ off....6000+ messages on your PB??? Oh $hit, the horror.......you guys will be busy for atleast 2 hours straight to delete that many messages....ha ha ha ha ha..............
    02-24-12 12:21 AM
    So now I can't get any email on my PlayBook. My all accounts have gradually stopped working. If I delete them and try setting them up again, as I did with the Hotmail account at first, I get various versions of the same error message. "Can't connect to the server". I have tried it with Hotmail, 2 different Exchange accounts, my Telus IMAP and POP, all get the same results.
    02-24-12 11:18 AM
    I was trying to get my iCloud calendar and contacts to sync with the PB. Contacts worked minus the fact all my contacts were duplicated. Nothing I did could correct it. The calendar just wouldn't connect. I had enough of iCloud and moved everything to Hotmail. After some messing around, everything syncs....contacts, calendar, and my hotmail email address. I did some tests and everything gets synced between my PB, Outlook 2007 and my iPhone. The PB may take 10-15 minutes to send a new entry but not a big deal.

If anyone is interested in it, I had to export my iCloud calendar as a csv file (DOS) and import that into my hotmail calendar all within Outlook. I exported my iCloud contacts the same way and imported them directly into Hotmail via the web.

I'd like to disable the local calendar in my PB because I won't be using it but don't see a way.
    02-24-12 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD