I purchased my PlayBook yesterday - and I must say, Im very, very dissapointed.

I had expected that once teathered to my BB and having entered my BlackBerry ID etc, I would have native access to my BB mail, calander and contacts - but no, instead, I have the disaster that is Playbook 2.0!

It is a terrible idea to have all my mail, contacts etc only available via bridge - and then, completely seperate email, contacts and diary for the native apps - what were they smoking!

Anyway, what I want to know is.... is there a way to only use the bridged email, contacts, diary etc - ie, to remove, hide, disable the native ones? I tried sticking them all in a folder, hidden away, however, when I click on an email address on a web page, it opens up the nativeemail and asks me to configure these.

All I want to do is have the bridged email and use all bridged apps as default - how do I do this?

many thanks in advance.

Chris
    05-19-12 03:26 PM
    go into the bridge app on your phone. there's an options setting in the menu to select what gets bridged and what
    dont. it saves the frustration of getting the same alerts for the same email and calender items on both devices.

Resistance is Futile
    05-19-12 03:29 PM
    Don't just hide them away but actually delete the accounts. I have mine set up the way you are wanting to do. I never touch the native email. I always have my phone with me, so the bridged email with common contacts and mailboxes works much better than using the native apps.
    mandony likes this.
    05-19-12 03:35 PM
    Don't just hide them away but actually delete the accounts. I have mine set up the way you are wanting to do. I never touch the native email. I always have my phone with me, so the bridged email with common contacts and mailboxes works much better than using the native apps.
    I have not set up any accounts using the native client, just have the bridged ones - however, if I click on an email address on a web page for example, It will then open the native email client and prompt me to set up the accounts!

All I want is the bridged accounts - and for these to be default, so, when I click on an email link, it uses the bridged accounts - and does not open the native message client and prompt me to set up new accounts.

can you try your setup and see if you get the same issue?

TX

Chris
    05-19-12 04:21 PM
    Chris,

I see now the trouble you are having. I get around it by just clicking and holding on the email link until I get the copy option, then create a new bridged email and paste the address in it. Only works if the link text is the actual email address and not something like "John's Email".

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700
    05-19-12 04:44 PM
    They should totally give us the choice to opt out of the native mail and contact apps and letting us use the bridge apps as default.

I can see the appeal of having them if you don't have a bb phone but but for those of us who do the native apps are useless..

So much failure with these native apps it's not even funny..
    05-19-12 08:48 PM
    They should totally give us the choice to opt out of the native mail and contact apps and letting us use the bridge apps as default.

I can see the appeal of having them if you don't have a bb phone but but for those of us who do the native apps are useless..

So much failure with these native apps it's not even funny..
    Is there a way to set bridged mail, diary, contacts etc as default? If there isn't, then is there a workaround that will allow the native apps like contacts, diary etc to sync with the bridged ones or my bb?

All ideas welcome.

Chris.
    05-20-12 05:52 AM
    Answer is no and no. No way to set bridge as default an no way to turn off the native apps.

I find it extremely funny how people b!tched about not having native apps and how the PB was a failure for not having them, now that they are there these same people want to use bridge and hate the native options. Some people are never satisfied.
    saudadeii likes this.
    05-20-12 06:01 AM
    Some people are never satisfied.
    Or they were different people with different wants.
    05-20-12 06:08 AM
    Answer is no and no. No way to set bridge as default an no way to turn off the native apps.

I find it extremely funny how people b!tched about not having native apps and how the PB was a failure for not having them, now that they are there these same people want to use bridge and hate the native options. Some people are never satisfied.
    In that case then, is there a way to sync native and bridged apps?
    05-20-12 06:21 AM
    Not that I'm aware of. Personally I just use imap or activesync for my emails that way they stay in sync with my HH and my PC.
    05-20-12 06:25 AM
    Not that I'm aware of. Personally I just use imap or activesync for my emails that way they stay in sync with my HH and my PC.
    Hi can you explain this to me in detail - in simple basic terms!
    05-20-12 06:42 AM
    Who said they are the same people? Nevertheless, the implementation of the native apps leaves a lot to be desired, including no way to sync your contacts with your phone (without a 3rd party app), limited access to your full imap folder structure, and no utilization of autotext (word substitution) entries that are on your phone. I had high hopes for the native apps, but was very disappointed in what was delivered.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700
    05-20-12 08:13 AM
    I think what some people fail to realize is that the primary target for the PlayBook was corporate users that have access to more sophisticated email systems.

I am just a regular user without access to these actively syncing email systems, with the exception of gmail. I experimented with the Microsoft Office 365 to get an idea of the capabilities. With the Microsoft software on the cloud plus MS Office professional on the home computer, all that the original poster is looking for is possible.

Here is a quick list of what is required. I will not go into too much detail as I am away for the weekend and I don't have the iMac here to check the settings.

Setup a trial of the E plan at the Office365 Web site.

Online Software Hosted in the Cloud - Office 365 - Microsoft

Enable BlackBerry services in the Office365 administration page.

From your phone, download the enterprise activation application from AppWorld. Just search for it by name. Office365 will work with BIS plans, so no need to have BES.

From the Office365 administration page, find the link to open the BlackBerry cloud services, select manage users, select the user you setup and then select send activation email. The code from this is entered into the Enterprise activation application on the phone along with the Office365 email address.

Download the latest Microsoft Office professional demo from the Microsoft office Web site. Setup Outlook with the Office365 email address. You will then be able to go into the Outlook settings and set the syncing of data on your PC to the Office365 email. I am on a Mac and it allows you to setup this sync between the Mac contact, calendar and a couple other programs.

Once all this syncing is setup, the contacts and calendars will sync wireless between any device setup on the Office365 email address, including the PlayBook.

If you own the domain that your normal email is setup on, you can set this domain on your Office365 account. I have not tried this.

If you setup your phone with the Office365 sync, you will loose some capabilities not available on Enterprise activated phones, such as Protect. If you decide to take the Office365 email and sync off the phone, there are a couple steps to get the normal BIS email setup working on your phone. You do not need to add your phone in order to setup the PlayBook to sync.

The cost to entry can be quite high if you have to buy both the PC software and the monthly Office365 subscription. It is a professional quality solution with near instantaneous updates between the devices. You get BES speed at a BIS price. In addition you get Web access to file hosting and the Office365 Web apps, which even seem to work on a 9900 in addition to the PlayBook.

You can achieve about the same using Gmail, but I don't think it is a smooth and problem free. In addition, Gmail will probably not host your own domain in the free version.
    Last edited by robsteve; 05-20-12 at 09:06 AM.
    05-20-12 08:55 AM
    I think what some people fail to realize is that the primary target for the PlayBook was corporate users that have access to more sophisticated email systems.

I am just a regular user without access to these actively syncing email systems, with the exception of gmail. I experimented with the Microsoft Office 365 to get an idea of the capabilities. With the Microsoft software on the cloud plus MS Office professional on the home computer, all that the original poster is looking for is possible.

Here is a quick list of what is required. I will not go into too much detail as I am away for the weekend and I don't have the iMac here to check the settings.

Setup a trial of the E plan at the Office365 Web site.

Online Software Hosted in the Cloud - Office 365 - Microsoft

Enable BlackBerry services in the Office365 administration page.

From your phone, download the enterprise activation application from AppWorld. Just search for it by name. Office365 will work with BIS plans, so no need to have BES.

From the Office365 administration page, find the link to open the BlackBerry cloud services, select manage users, select the user you setup and then select send activation email. The code from this is entered into the Enterprise activation application on the phone along with the Office365 email address.

Download the latest Microsoft Office professional demo from the Microsoft office Web site. Setup Outlook with the Office365 email address. You will then be able to go into the Outlook settings and set the syncing of data on your PC to the Office365 email. I am on a Mac and it allows you to setup this sync between the Mac contact, calendar and a couple other programs.

Once all this syncing is setup, the contacts and calendars will sync wireless between any device setup on the Office365 email address, including the PlayBook.

If you own the domain that your normal email is setup on, you can set this domain on your Office365 account. I have not tried this.

If you setup your phone with the Office365 sync, you will loose some capabilities not available on Enterprise activated phones, such as Protect. If you decide to take the Office365 email and sync off the phone, there are a couple steps to get the normal BIS email setup working on your phone. You do not need to add your phone in order to setup the PlayBook to sync.

The cost to entry can be quite high if you have to buy both the PC software and the monthly Office365 subscription. It is a professional quality solution with near instantaneous updates between the devices. You get BES speed at a BIS price. In addition you get Web access to file hosting and the Office365 Web apps, which even seem to work on a 9900 in addition to the PlayBook.

You can achieve about the same using Gmail, but I don't think it is a smooth and problem free. In addition, Gmail will probably not host your own domain in the free version.
    Thanks for this. When you have time, could you walk me through this?

I have three email addresses to set up... I own the domains... And hotmail.

Thanks,

Chris.
    05-20-12 12:46 PM

I find it extremely funny how people b!tched about not having native apps and how the PB was a failure for not having them, now that they are there these same people want to use bridge and hate the native options.
    I thought the same thing!

Although for me the PB is and always will he an extension of my BB experience and so the argument for native email and calendar were lost on me. Just one more place to receive email and to try and keep in sync. Not for me.

I do think that it should be possible for users to select their preference on native or bridged email and calendar. 3.0??
    07-18-12 01:00 AM
    I use the native email on the PlayBook and when I have emails that I've read on it but they still appear unread on my Bold, I just use the "mark all read" function on the Bold and go along with my day.
    07-18-12 01:42 AM
    Google will host your email for free and has the best spam filters:

What's included in my edition of Gmail? - Google Apps Help

If you're not technically inclined I'd pay someone to set up Google mail hosting for you:

Google Apps Marketplace - Small Business Implementation

For BlackBerry, Microsoft Office 365 is better than Google Business Apps in that you can sync Tasks and Memos (like BES does) along with Mail and Calendar - but at a premium co$t. Hard to justify for a single user!

-- Robert.
    07-18-12 05:38 AM
    I have been using Office 365 for a few months now and have found the reduced hassle of syncing the better folder redirection and other options make up for the small amount of 3.20 I pay per month for the service. I would not rate that as a premium cost. You only need to buy the "Exchange Online" plan to access the BES services.

fexo
    07-18-12 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD