So, I am a long time Blackberry user, I have had almost every generation of their devices, I am currently a Torch user and love it! I have had the Playbook since the day it came out... I know you have heard this...

I am on the ledge and researching Android tablets. I have had this thing for three months and LOVE the OS and the user experience. What I am REALLY struggling with is the quality of apps. I would really like:

1. Native PIM, the bridge is good, but not great
    2. Skype - doesn't seem like it's ever coming
    3. a REAL ebook reader, not just the Adobe reader that crashes with big PDF's
    4. Netflix, a nice native player
    5. I am liking the split keyboard that I see as an option on Android
    6. I find the GPS clunky at best and no real native app, the one on Honeycomb looks really nice

I am really concerned about my options for tethering though since I travel to the US alot, but Playbook is great for that.

I am not looking to get flamed here, but how many of you out there are seriously considering the switch to an Android based tablet?

I would LOVE to see the day I can just bring my tablet to a meeting and leave the laptop at home.
    Last edited by pvantienen; 07-20-11 at 02:47 PM.
    07-20-11 02:44 PM
    See Toshiba Thrive....its really really cool....it will satisfy all points from 1 - 6....
    07-20-11 02:57 PM
    Really unfortunate you feel that way and the other tablets are going to have their own issues, but I guess RIM brought this upon themselves..
    07-20-11 02:59 PM
    I recently gave up my company Storm2 and now have a Motorola Triumph running Froyo and I am LOVING IT! I'll miss the Bridge integration but I'm hoping that RIM gets their act together ASAP and gets native PIM soon. I give them till Christmas season then it's hello Galazy Tab 8.9!
    07-20-11 03:01 PM
    If the HTC Flyer actually ran Honeycomb I'd pick one up. Maybe the new 7in Samsung when it comes out. I love the 7in form-factor too much to trade it for a giant slate. Overall I'm pleased with the playbook and I'm only looking for some quality of life enhancements like auto-correct lololol, the ability to edit and organize bookmarks and videos into folders and PIM because not everyone has a Blackberry.
    07-20-11 03:01 PM
    Hello,
    I had an android device and the hardware quality is something you need to be mindful of. Our business left BlackBerry in frustration but realized that although imperfect it is still better than the available alternatives (to us at least).

I'm also looking for a few more apps and hope that both BB provides them and the android player resolves the issues as well.
    07-20-11 03:12 PM
    Hello,
    I had an android device and the hardware quality is something you need to be mindful of. Our business left BlackBerry in frustration but realized that although imperfect it is still better than the available alternatives (to us at least).

I'm also looking for a few more apps and hope that both BB provides them and the android player resolves the issues as well.
    Granted it's just an iPad2 ripoff but have you held a Tab 10.1?
    07-20-11 03:19 PM
    If quality apps are a concern, you should get an iPad.
    07-20-11 03:24 PM
    I am NOT considering an Android or iOS tablet. I'm very happy with the PlayBook but I don't use many apps - I mostly use the web browser, music player, and the Score and Facebook app.
    Skype is so overrated. Even on a PC, the video and audio quality is worthless. I really don't know how people use Skype.
    07-20-11 03:26 PM
    Also, given the size of the ipad, you could use it as a plate or a serving tray.
    07-20-11 03:27 PM
    I am NOT considering an Android or iOS tablet. I'm very happy with the PlayBook but I don't use many apps - I mostly use the web browser, music player, and the Score and Facebook app.
    Skype is so overrated. Even on a PC, the video and audio quality is worthless. I really don't know how people use Skype.
    Unfortunately it's critical to me, the company I work for us all over the globe and I work closely with a team in Australia that are all also on Skype.

I do like the idea of the serving tray though...
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-20-11 03:36 PM
    What I am REALLY struggling with is the quality of apps.
    Android will not help if you want *tablet* apps (there are only a couple hundred). If you want to de-emphasize the quality factor and are OK with running phone apps on a tablet, then Android is an option. Just don't count on Netflix without doing some research first (it has limited device support on Android, but growing).
    ADGrant likes this.
    07-20-11 03:36 PM
    Definitely good to know... thanks!
    07-20-11 03:41 PM
    Android will not help if you want *tablet* apps (there are only a couple hundred). If you want to de-emphasize the quality factor and are OK with running phone apps on a tablet, then Android is an option. Just don't count on Netflix without doing some research first (it has limited device support on Android, but growing).
    Netflix now works on honeycomb tablets. I still would try before you buy. I thought honeycomb was a mess. But thats just me, and I think I would rather have a playbook than honeycomb tablet.
    07-20-11 03:55 PM
    android navigation sucks... but everything else is there, the google integration with their apps is nice.
    07-20-11 03:59 PM
    If you want a tablets because of apps then get an ipad but for anything else is PB is the king.
    07-20-11 04:02 PM
    i get dell streak..5"...enough to cool me off..android is not that bad after all..you can get tapatalk to read forums.. and any news apps you want..not only canadian newspaper like in pb
    07-20-11 04:28 PM
    Call me naive, but I still think the best is yet to come on PB. The Android phones are starting to turn my head though. As far as the iTampon, no thanks. Leave that one for the mindless whordes (sic).
    07-20-11 06:21 PM
    An employee bought a HTC Sensation (i think). Plastic, comfusing menus, messy look, old dated menus (same as v 1.5!), dedicated buttons that dont feel responsive, laggy screen swiping, even bring up the phone app took time. Envy of the available apps though.

I tell you, RIM have done a great job on the QNX os! In such a short amount of time its amazing, it feels professional grade!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-11 06:32 PM
    Also, given the size of the ipad, you could use it as a plate or a serving tray.
    Ridiculous. This is like LeBron mock coughing at the expense of Dirk. Makes you look foolish.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-20-11 06:37 PM
    Ridiculous. This is like LeBron mock coughing at the expense of Dirk. Makes you look foolish.
    Oh please.
    npunk42 and mohawk apple like this.
    07-20-11 06:41 PM
    good thing about android is you have control over the OS. you can root flash rom etc. even though it's not the best in the world, but at least there are alternatives..don't have to wait for the OS updates all the time.
    now if someone can root pb, we can install BBOS 6, maybe. just maybe
    07-20-11 06:41 PM
    Call me naive
    You're naive.
    ericlc2, howarmat and kevinnugent like this.
    07-20-11 06:47 PM
    Now that the iPad alone is larger than RIM's entire business, I expect we'll see more of this type of thing.
    07-20-11 06:49 PM
    If you want a tablets because of apps then get an ipad but for anything else is PB is the king.
    Why else would you buy a tablet?
    07-20-11 06:51 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD