Just register and send a request if you want to be able to stream their videos on our lovely Playbooks.
    BB Playbook - Another request - Netflix API Feature Requests - Netflix API Forum
    Here's mine.
    David
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-11 12:37 PM
    I added one also.
    lophreaque likes this.
    09-03-11 01:05 PM
    No, I won't. Because of Netflix and other services, there are no more movie stores in my town to rent blurays from. Netflix can go jump off a tall building.
    09-03-11 01:13 PM
    No, I won't. Because of Netflix and other services, there are no more movie stores in my town to rent blurays from. Netflix can go jump off a tall building.
    The movie rental store has gone the way of the record store. It is an obsolete market.
    09-03-11 01:17 PM
    The movie rental store has gone the way of the record store. It is an obsolete market.
    And hopefully the people who sacrifice quality for convenience will too someday go the way of the record store.
    bjw408h likes this.
    09-03-11 01:25 PM
    And hopefully the people who sacrifice quality for convenience will too someday go the way of the record store.
    Netflix will ship Blu-Ray DVDs to your house.

RedBox also has Blu-Ray.
    09-03-11 01:28 PM
    Not in Canada, and quite frankly that makes it impossible for a friend to ring you up one evening and say "let's go rent a movie".

"Sure, come on over, we'll go online and choose one, wait for it to come in the mail in three days then you can come back and watch it."
    09-03-11 01:36 PM
    Not in Canada, and quite frankly that makes it impossible for a friend to ring you up one evening and say "let's go rent a movie".

"Sure, come on over, we'll go online and choose one, wait for it to come in the mail in three days then you can come back and watch it."
    DVDPlay & Blu-ray - DVDPlay movie rental kiosks
    09-03-11 01:51 PM

From their website:
    The New Way
    The latest way to rent movies is all inside a five-foot, 350 pound machine. Gone are the separate trips to those old video stores, where memberships, credit checks and patience are required.
    Gone are the trips to the movie stores, eh? But I get to make trips to the silly vending machine, inside the grocery store next to the last remaining Blockbuster Video store in my city which is soon to close.

People will rent from a vending machine, but not a movie store?
    09-03-11 01:57 PM
    From their website:

Gone are the trips to the movie stores, eh? But I get to make trips to the silly vending machine, inside the grocery store next to the last remaining Blockbuster Video store in my city which is soon to close.

People will rent from a vending machine, but not a movie store?
    The kiosks are more popular since they are a one-stop trip. It is the same thing with grocery stores having pharmacies, banks, etc.

Especially with the high gas prices, folks would rather make a single trip to get all their shopping done, and they have to go to the grocery store anyway.
    09-03-11 02:02 PM
    The kiosks are more popular since they are a one-stop trip. It is the same thing with grocery stores having pharmacies, banks, etc.

Especially with the high gas prices, folks would rather make a single trip to get all their shopping done, and they have to go to the grocery store anyway.
    Almost all the Blockbuster or Rogers video stores here have been right next to grocery stores, in the same parking lot. No extra gas for a trip to the movie store.

And again, if someone wants to rent a movie on a whim, you have to go out anyway to the kiosk!

I can see the advantage of Netflix on devices like the Playbook, where an SD screen and stereo speakers are standard, but when you have thousands invested in TV/Projector/Surround sound at home, the last thing you want is 720p/2ch stereo movie rentals from Netflix.
    09-03-11 02:25 PM
    Almost all the Blockbuster or Rogers video stores here have been right next to grocery stores, in the same parking lot. No extra gas for a trip to the movie store.

And again, if someone wants to rent a movie on a whim, you have to go out anyway to the kiosk!

I can see the advantage of Netflix on devices like the Playbook, where an SD screen and stereo speakers are standard, but when you have thousands invested in TV/Projector/Surround sound at home, the last thing you want is 720p/2ch stereo movie rentals from Netflix.
    Blockbuster in the US got acquired by Dish Network, but they are only keeping 600 stores open in the US, possibly fewer if they don't have business. They originally had over 4000.

Blockbuster Canada could not find a buyer, so they are shuttering all stores.

The same thing is happening and has happened with bookstores, mainly due to competition from amazon.com. We used to have Borders (currently liquidating all stores after bankruptcy), Barnes & Noble (most stores here have closed), and Joseph-Beth (out of business).
    09-03-11 02:33 PM
    The same thing is happening and has happened with bookstores, mainly due to competition from amazon.com. We used to have Borders (currently liquidating all stores after bankruptcy), Barnes & Noble (most stores here have closed), and Joseph-Beth (out of business).
    I don't know about Joseph-Beth, but with B&N and Borders, I can't say I'm surprised by their failures. Any business that encourages people to sit in the store and use product for free, instead of actually buying the product, it is not going to be successful for long. Video stores didn't really have this problem, but between rental fees, late fees and the trips back and forth, the convenience of Netflix won out.
    09-03-11 02:38 PM
    I don't know about Joseph-Beth, but with B&N and Borders, I can't say I'm surprised by their failures. Any business that encourages people to sit in the store and use product for free, instead of actually buying the product, it is not going to be successful for long. Video stores didn't really have this problem, but between rental fees, late fees and the trips back and forth, the convenience of Netflix won out.
    Another issue is the overhead costs of running a brick-and-mortar store. It is much cheaper to run an online store, and kiosk rental space is much cheaper than actual movie rental stores.

Also, there are no employees needed to be hired for the kiosks, other than the ones who service the machine.
    09-03-11 02:43 PM
    So, SSB, since you (or most anybody else) can't rent from Blockbuster or your mom & pop store, you want Netflix to go away?
    Do you boycott Amazon too? What about the cable TV services that lets you rent a movie over their network?
    One of the issues here is lack of ap support for the PB. My kids give me a hard time because they can watch all the streaming movies they want on their iPods.
    Yes, iPods, not iPads (as if there is much difference between them...).
    And my "amazing" PB can't.
    Fine, don't vote. But it seems your rationale is not air tight.
    David
    Last edited by lophreaque; 09-03-11 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    09-03-11 02:58 PM
    Another issue is the overhead costs of running a brick-and-mortar store. It is much cheaper to run an online store, and kiosk rental space is much cheaper than actual movie rental stores.

Also, there are no employees needed to be hired for the kiosks, other than the ones who service the machine.
    Absolutely. The cost savings of kiosks over stores are huge.
    09-03-11 03:00 PM
    I would but I don't use their service.
    09-03-11 04:10 PM
    So, SSB, since you (or most anybody else) can't rent from Blockbuster or your mom & pop store, you want Netflix to go away?
    Do you boycott Amazon too? What about the cable TV services that lets you rent a movie over their network?
    IMO, Netflix offers an inferior product, so I have no use for them. If you take that as me wanting them to go away then so be it.

I've ordered a few things from Amazon that I haven't been able to find locally. Remember that with Amazon they ship from various vendors, so it isn't one big conglomerate pushing everyone else out of the industry.

And no, I don't use my cable provider's Video On Demand service - again, crap quality.
    09-03-11 05:34 PM
    IMO, Netflix offers an inferior product, so I have no use for them. If you take that as me wanting them to go away then so be it.

I've ordered a few things from Amazon that I haven't been able to find locally. Remember that with Amazon they ship from various vendors, so it isn't one big conglomerate pushing everyone else out of the industry.

And no, I don't use my cable provider's Video On Demand service - again, crap quality.
    Hmm I remember a day when their were only mom and pop video stores, then some big conglomerate video rental store chain popped up everywhere and put most of them out of business. The name will come to me soon enough. Blue sign with yellow lettering. [/Sarcasm]
    09-03-11 05:45 PM
    And pretty soon, even human beings won't be necessary at all! Nothing will remain but the constant screeching of useless streams of data.
    06-09-13 04:37 AM
    The question remains people, if I want to request a video stream from NETFLIX I.........
    06-09-13 04:39 AM
    The question remains people, if I want to request a video stream from NETFLIX I.........
    request all you want, id love to have netflix on this playbook. playbook still has a great screen and the best speakers on a mobile device it would be amazing to have netflix.

but........the CEO of netflix is a tool and he won't even look at the new bb10 devices let alone playbook. as of the latest interview with him he hadn't even picked up any bb10 device
    06-09-13 09:35 AM
    request all you want, id love to have netflix on this playbook. playbook still has a great screen and the best speakers on a mobile device it would be amazing to have netflix.

but........the CEO of netflix is a tool and he won't even look at the new bb10 devices let alone playbook. as of the latest interview with him he hadn't even picked up any bb10 device
    That guy is short selling BB stock, just saying.....
    06-09-13 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD