My playbook has decided to stop installing many Android apps properly, even ones from App World (tried Taptu recently and it just refuses to load after installing). So I am thinking I may do a security wipe at some point soon, to see if that helps. But my question is this: If I do a FULL backup with DM (i.e. settings, apps, files etc.), and then restore it afterwards, will I essentially get my playbook back to exactly how it is now? i.e. all my apps still there, all my app data still there (e.g. game saves etc.), all my settings intact. Or will I have to manually re-do a lot of stuff? Because if it's the later, I could probably just wait for another update and see if that fixes it, else live without additional Android apps.
    05-10-12 11:09 AM
    Your apps will be in "my world", and your app data will still be there once you download them. You will have to redo some of your settings though. This is from my experience when I did a security wipe.
    05-10-12 11:22 AM
    Right thanks. I think I'll leave off for now then. Android apps aren't THAT important to me I guess :/
    05-10-12 11:46 AM
    yea its annoying... ive faced the same dilemma

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-10-12 11:50 AM
    Also a security wipe will erase the built-in high definition demo video (the turtle) and maybe the built-in wallpapers (not sure about that one). They are not backed up and NOT restored.

You might get a jump on stuff by manually backing up pictures, videos, music, etc, docs. Just a a precaution.
    05-10-12 12:34 PM
    I deleted the demo video a day or two after getting the PB, didn't need it wasting space. I also don't use the built in wallpapers, I have a nice custom one, so I'm not too fussed if they're gone. But I would have thought they wouldn't be.
    05-10-12 12:43 PM
    I have saved any pictures and other documents to drop box, then do the security wipe. This way I can get them back, and just install the apps you want back. Didn't bother with DM. This did solve alot of my problems.
    05-10-12 01:25 PM
    I started a security wipe on my old bb as I was thinking of selling it but then changed my mind. The wipe was at 70% when I pulled the battery thinking that would stop it but it didn't. As soon as I put battery back it starts wiping again. Is there any way to stop the wipe?
    05-16-12 08:25 PM
    I doubt you can save anything even if you could stop the Security Wipe. I would guess the "computer index" to files/apps/OS is blown away by the process and recovery impossible. That's probably part of the renown BB security. If you have a backup, you might try restoring otherwise, good luck
    05-16-12 11:55 PM
    If you do a full back-up and restore everything comes back as it was prior to the wipe. Make sure you save off any videos and pics taken with the playbook, then do a full back-up. I did not back-up any media as it is all on my laptop and just takes longer. My back-up was 7 gigs (no media). Post back-up I wiped, reloaded and setup the playbook. Then connected do DM -> File -Restore and did a full restore. Everything came back including apps and saved game points. Icons and folders were just as before the wipe. Even user id and passwords were saved in the browser. I did have to enter user id for facebook and blue.box. not a big deal. Post the restore I then re-synced all media and I am just where I was prior to the wipe.

I did the wipe as my battery was performing poor, and the back of pb was always a bit warm. Some app was not shutting off all the way, or a process was consonantly running. Since the wipe three days ago everything is back to normal and my battery is not dying in 1/2 a day.
    05-17-12 10:45 AM
    Thx all, I will try a restore and see if I luck out (fingers crossed.
    05-17-12 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD