I finally got sick of some lingering Android Player issues (for example, Kindle wouldn't connect to the "Store", Dolphin wouldn't browse, etc.), so I did a security wipe under OS 2.1.0.560. Now, my PB refuses to launch *any* Android apps.

First thing I tried after the wipe/update cycle was to side load Kindle. All went well, but when I tapped its icon nothing happened. So I side loaded ES File Explorer. Same result. Tap the icon and nothing happens.

Finally, I downloaded "Rochet" from AppWorld (crappy app, but it's Android and thus a viable test) and...nada! When I tap on it nothing happens! No error - no indication of activity - no nothing!

Very bizarre. I tried re-wiping my PB (no change), so at this point I'm starting to panic a bit. I really like using Google Maps, TapaTalk, ES File, etc., on my PB, especially with the updated multitasking in the beta. If I lose this functionality it's all but useless to me...

Anyone else experience something like this after wiping/updating to 2.1 beta?

RCK
    06-11-12 02:45 AM
    I have not experienced any issues and it actually feels like a full release. On the 2.0 beta though, it messed up my camera's between security wipes on the last beta version, .7476? I forgot what it was but that last beta version made a disaster but good thing this is just a 16GB cause I need a larger storage anyway.
    06-11-12 02:59 AM
    I'm going to try the "debrick" method to see if that cures it. Downloading DM 7.0 as I write this, so...fingers crossed!

RCK
    06-11-12 03:29 AM
    when I sideloaded the kindle app and tapped the icon nothing happened too. I restarted the PB and the app worked flawlessly ever since.
    06-11-12 06:56 AM
    I wiped but I still get android apps to function.

Make sure you do whitelist your playbook PIN for 2.1 beta again, and within 24 hours, wipe and then update via OTA (during the first time initialization).

If you did not whitelist it, then I am quite sure than the android player in your playbook is now the old 2.0.1 android player because during the initialization it might have downloaded the old one instead of the beta.
    06-11-12 07:22 AM
    That did the trick. Odd, because when I wiped the first (and second) time, the end-of-setup update showed 2.1.0.540 as the available update. However, it also had a larger file size - 380MB vs. 314MB for this latest attempt. I'm guessing that, even though it was "advertising" the 2.1 beta, it was in fact pulling images from 2.0.1.xx.

Regardless, everything seems to work now...even Kindle!

Thanks for the tip!

RCK
    06-11-12 11:06 AM
    I got 314mb exactly for my update size after the wipe as well. I guess it was still displayed as 2.1.0.560 update because it wasn't meant to be 'downgraded'. Glad everything worked for you!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    06-11-12 02:36 PM
    This is the second time that the crackberry forums have saved my bacon, so...

06-11-12 03:23 PM
    I finally got sick of some lingering Android Player issues (for example, Kindle wouldn't connect to the "Store", Dolphin wouldn't browse, etc.), so I did a security wipe under OS 2.1.0.560. Now, my PB refuses to launch *any* Android apps.

First thing I tried after the wipe/update cycle was to side load Kindle. All went well, but when I tapped its icon nothing happened. So I side loaded ES File Explorer. Same result. Tap the icon and nothing happens.

Finally, I downloaded "Rochet" from AppWorld (crappy app, but it's Android and thus a viable test) and...nada! When I tap on it nothing happens! No error - no indication of activity - no nothing!

Very bizarre. I tried re-wiping my PB (no change), so at this point I'm starting to panic a bit. I really like using Google Maps, TapaTalk, ES File, etc., on my PB, especially with the updated multitasking in the beta. If I lose this functionality it's all but useless to me...

Anyone else experience something like this after wiping/updating to 2.1 beta?

RCK
    Same thing happened to me. When I first upgraded to the 2.1 beta release I didn't do a wipe prior. Just upgraded straight up. But flash video wasn't working for me so I did a security wipe and I thought everything was fine until a couple of days later I tried to launch Kindle but it did nothing. I realized after that none of the Android apps would launch. Did a security wipe again and now everything works.
    06-11-12 06:44 PM
    I thought it was all a bit flaky on 2.1 just done security wioe and it's much better!
    06-22-12 10:04 AM
    I've got this problem now too, and I can't get it fixed.

I've whitelisted my PB each time, and each time it's downloaded a 354MB update to 2.1.0.560. I've done a wipe twice, and both times Android apps won't launch.
    07-12-12 12:31 PM
    Same problem for me. Can't seem to get the 314MB file after whitelisting several times. I'll put my playbook aside and wait for the official software realease. I don't use it very much anyway.
    07-12-12 01:49 PM

I've whitelisted my PB each time, and each time it's downloaded a 354MB update to 2.1.0.560. I've done a wipe twice, and both times Android apps won't launch.

What error do you get when trying to launch them?
    07-12-12 01:55 PM
    I'm afraid you guys are screwed until the final OS 2.1 bits drop. Right now, you're running into the very same issue that I did, namely the post-install update is pulling down bits from the 2.0.1 source image. Unfortunately, the fix I employed - re-registering my PIN and the retrying the wipe - won't work because RIM has taken the beta source image offline.

The good news is that this likely means that the final OS 2.1 drop is imminent - that, or at least a refresh of the beta. But until it drops, you guys will be stuck with a broken install that won't run Android apps.

RCK
    07-12-12 02:28 PM
    You can downgrade back to 2.0.1 with no issues if you follow the directions that BB state on this link.
    Downgrading From Beta PlayBook OS to the Current N... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

the download file will be over 1GB in size and after it extract in will be close to 1.5GB in size
    07-12-12 04:43 PM
    What error do you get when trying to launch them?
    There is no error. Clicking the icons has no effect whatsoever. Nothing launches.

I'll just be patient and wait for the final release. It is a beta, after all.
    07-12-12 08:47 PM

I had the same problem but it is gone now. I did not do security wipe but rather I turned off playbook and then connected to pc. blackberry desktop software was already running. it asked me if I want to repair os and after that it all worked well

Last edited by bitek; 07-13-12 at 10:33 PM.
    07-13-12 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD