My brother said that an article appeared in the Vancouver Sun about a security issue with the PB when used PIN-PIN, other BB users can pick up message (don't know if I make sense here).

Other Security Issue threads are too old (2008) to relate to this new post, I believe.
    03-01-13 04:04 PM
    03-01-13 05:20 PM
    PlayBook can not Pin to Pin text as there is no native BBM (yet). That article never mentioned PlayBook anyway. PlayBook can Pin to Pin Video chat, though.
    03-01-13 10:28 PM
    PlayBook can not Pin to Pin text as there is no native BBM (yet). That article never mentioned PlayBook anyway. PlayBook can Pin to Pin Video chat, though.
    _________
    Can you please explain PIN to PIN messaging? I read the above Vancouver Sun article posted by F2 and now understand that the PIN stays with the Blackberry even after it changes hand, but how can there be a security issue involved? Is it because PIN to PIN messaging bypasses the server's security filters? If so, will that also be true for Android devices as well as the iPhone?

Also, if one gives up one's Blackberry (not the PB which, as mkelley65 writes, cannot PIN to PIN text) and one erases all text records, where is the security compromise?
    03-05-13 12:33 AM
    _________
    Can you please explain PIN to PIN messaging? I read the above Vancouver Sun article posted by F2 and now understand that the PIN stays with the Blackberry even after it changes hand, but how can there be a security issue involved? Is it because PIN to PIN messaging bypasses the server's security filters? If so, will that also be true for Android devices as well as the iPhone?

Also, if one gives up one's Blackberry (not the PB which, as mkelley65 writes, cannot PIN to PIN text) and one erases all text records, where is the security compromise?
    PIN to PIN messaging is simple. Every BlackBerry phone has a PIN (Personal Identification Number) unique to each device. If you know a device's PIN you can send a text to it with out knowing who the user is or what his cell number or email address is. PIN to PIN messages are not encrypted and are transmitted in plain text, allowing anyone who intercepts them to read them. While this is a remote possibility, you should keep it in mind and not send sensitive information in a PIN to PIN message.

The PIN is hard coded to each device. Before you relinquish a device you should always do a security wipe. The article only stated what most BB users have known for years.

iPhones and Droids don't use PINs.
    03-05-13 08:12 AM
    So then where is the security for BBRY phone users when they call each other? I guess QNX only protects from Web intrusions?
    03-05-13 12:33 PM