Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry PlayBook

Security Certificates

Asked: Jul 30 2019 | 8:38 am EDT 3841 Views 6 Answers

Hi

A new problem.

When browsing, some secure websites now just return a 'network not available error message. I read that this is due to out of date security certificates. One thread just suggested to import a newer certificate which involved first placing the certificate in the Certificates folder. Next challenge is that this folder seems to be inaccessible from a pc via usb. Using Ghost Commander, I can see it exists but it is read only so can't put anything in it.

Is it possible to change the permission of this folder so I can insert a new certificate and then import it?

Am I on the right route to solve the problem or is there some other way? Does this need to be done on a 'rooted' Playbook, which I believe is now impossible for 2.1.01917.

Any thoughts?

Andy

More Answers

Jul 31 2019 | 7:27 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

Should only have to import them

1) Go to settings
2) Select security settings
3) Select "Certificates" on the right frame
4) Click import
Follow the instructions on the screen.

But some of the issues are the age of the browser and lack of meeting minimum security standards, no certificate is going to fix that. You can try some of the other browsers, but most the native ones are in the same boat and few Android ones that support that runtime are any better.

Jul 31 2019 | 11:24 am EDT advb

Hi
Yes, this is what I tried to do. It says "copy them into the Certificates folder" but on the PC, I can't see the 'Certificates' folder, only the shared folders.
If I look on the device itself, I can see a Certificates folder but I can't put anything in it because I don't have the privileges. Should I create another 'Certificates folder somewhere else and if so, where?

Thanks for your advice.
Cheers
Andy

Aug 06 2019 | 7:34 am EDT jamescarruthers

You should be able to plug your Playbook on a computer and have access to this certificates folder. Add the required certificates to the Playbook from the computer. Then you can import the certificates within the playbook settings menu. You can't access the folder from the Playbook.

It's a weird way of doing things. There are plenty of tutorials and some videos online of how it should work. I did it a few months ago to reinstall my VPN certificate. Have a search on here or Google.

Posted via CB10

Jan 04 2022 | 9:40 am EST i_plod_an_dr_void

You should be able to plug your Playbook on a computer and have access to this certificates folder. Add the required certificates to the Playbook from the computer. Then you can import the certificates within the playbook settings menu. You can't access the folder from the Playbook.

It's a weird way of doing things. There are plenty of tutorials and some videos online of how it should work. I did it a few months ago to reinstall my VPN certificate. Have a search on here or Google.

Posted via CB10
Can you give more detail? How does the playbook see the certificates in windows? >8.0 What folder? How do your transfer it to the playbook? What software is used to link, what setting must the playbook be in to allow this? You know the kind of detailed stuff for those of us who haven't been transferring files lately.

Jan 04 2022 | 10:48 am EST jamescarruthers

Can you give more detail? How does the playbook see the certificates in windows? >8.0 What folder? How do your transfer it to the playbook? What software is used to link, what setting must the playbook be in to allow this? You know the kind of detailed stuff for those of us who haven't been transferring files lately.
Well it is a LONG time since I did this but was pretty straightforward. Have a look here, this sounds like what I did:
How to import security certificates on the BlackBerry PlayBook
https://www.vpnuk.net/setup/setup-bl...laybook-ikev2/

Basically, copy the Certificate file to the Playbook using a USB cable and typing its IP address in to the computer to get access to the right location. This gets it on the Playbook, but you can't use it yet.

Then, get the Playbook to accept the Certificate you just imported in its own Settings menus.

Good luck! No software required!

Jul 12 2022 | 3:40 pm EDT rodolfo hernandez

existe alguna forma de conectar la pc a la blackberry playbook sin necesidad de cable usb? es decir solo wifi?