Ladies/Gents:

Quick question, how does one secure a photo/video file installed in the PB?

Let us say you have a file which you do not want anyone who handles your PB to be able to view and watch it. Possible? How?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    01-21-12 02:11 AM
    Well, one way is to use the excellent app File Shield. Buy File Shield - Download File Shield - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World File Shield will hide any files you like from anyone who may use your PB, will even hide your selected files from your pc when you plug in the PB. Well worth the .99 cost.

Another way (not as effective as File Shield) is add the start up password. That one is free. Find it under Security > Password.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by space_traveler; 01-21-12 at 03:59 AM.
    ndon70 likes this.
    01-21-12 03:56 AM
    Well, one way is to use the excellent app File Shield. Buy File Shield - Download File Shield - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World File Shield will hide any files you like from anyone who may use your PB, will even hide your selected files from your pc when you plug in the PB. Well worth the .99 cost.

Another way (not as effective as File Shield) is add the start up password. That one is free. Find it under Security > Password.

Best of luck.
    Thanks, will try that out.

If it does what its suppose to do, that's a whole lot of a bang for a buck app at that price.

Cheers.
    01-21-12 04:23 AM
    Oh, it does work and hides your files from prying eyes very well. I have it on my PB and haven't yet found a way to bypass it and view the hidden files. Cool app.
    01-21-12 04:38 AM
    So, if you hide files from your PC/desktop/etc, if you really want to say, copy files for backup purposes, you'd have to UNhide (unsecure) them first? So one might need better backup procedures or, at least, timely backups to protect data, too?
    01-21-12 09:41 AM
    Since there's no actual way to "hide" a file securely while leaving it in the shared folders, I can only assume that apps like this operate by moving the file from the shared folders to the app's own "sandbox" data area.

That makes it "secure" from all other apps as long as its there, but would also mean that the file would be completely exposed in any backup, unless it were also encrypted.

They probably do that encryption, but I'd be a bit cautious (personally) about trusting all that unless it was spelled out explicitly in the description or otherwise made obvious somehow in the app. They might also rely on encryption but just leave the file in-place in the shared folders, maybe renaming it with a leading "." to "hide" it (except that doesn't really hide it from everything).

It's quite possible the app does hide your files quite "securely", but if it depends on obscurity (i.e. simply not revealing its tricks) you should be a bit cautious about relying on it until you've studied it some more.

I haven't followed any threads on this app or others like it before... anyone studied one or more of these yet?
    01-21-12 10:19 AM
    Peter:

Does Battery Guru keep some data in its own 'storage' area or 'sandbox' and can you see that data in your backup?

I guess one could contact this developer and see if he would reveal his SECRETS and/or methods of hiding things.
    01-21-12 10:52 AM
    The underneath question I read here is "will PB have an user management" ?
    I guess Balance is quite a related subject, as it will imply two "physical" storage places, but it's server-side controlled. But, if I think corporate, I can't imagine that a professional mobile device can stay on the basis 1 user = 1 device.
    Did I say "Active-something"
    01-21-12 11:39 AM
    Does Battery Guru keep some data in its own 'storage' area or 'sandbox' and can you see that data in your backup?
    For sure: that's how it keeps the history and lets you export data in CSV format later, not to mention how it shows you recent data in the graph when you restart the app. Without that, the graph would be empty at first, each time you ran the app.

Pretty much all apps do this for at least some small bit of data. The few that don't would be what I'd call uninteresting, like a "launcher" app, or one which merely shows you a view of one particular web site but remembers nothing from session to session.
    01-21-12 11:48 AM
    I may have missed the point but does the Desktop Manager backup copy of Battery Guru have data from the app up to the time of the backup - in other words is the csv's in there (even if in some rough format)? So I could look through the backup and find the data?

And so if I purchased File Secure, and run a DM backup (app data), then my supposedly hidden files COULD (not saying they do) be in the backup where DM stores it on my computer? And, obviously, if so, someone might be able to read/find it unless they FileSecure encrypted it?
    01-21-12 04:20 PM
    F2, the internal format for Battery Guru's data is not in CSV format, so although the data's there, it's not in quite so readable a format. (It's a SQL database format, for compactness and other reasons... carefully designed to use minimal space so even a year's worth of continuous data doesn't use up enough space to bother anyone.)

But yes, if you purchase an app like that, your files should certainly be in the backup, in some form. There's no other place that an app even can store data, that a backup would not snag it. And yes, if it is not actually encrypted by FileSecure when it "hides" it, then anyone with access to your PC could retrieve that info... including a zombie program if it happened to be infected.

Uncertainty about whether such apps are really doing their job properly is what stops me (so far) from using one. Same with the password-keeping apps... I'm a bit paranoid, so I'd want to have a really good idea that the design was secure, and for that matter that the developer hadn't tossed in a wee "back-door" or maybe some analytics feature which logs normally harmless data to their web server but which could maybe include a bit of my data if, say, they misplaced a semicolon in the code and it inadvertently sent my passwords to them in a log entry.
    01-21-12 04:39 PM
    I do understand your, I'll use the word QUALMS about trusting apps.

When I first starting using apps on my bb phone I wanted a bit more info about Permissions. And the phone permissions are much more exhaustive whereas the pb's are "short and sweet" or too short and less than sweet depending on what is really being granted. At least, the pb apps are MAYBE vetted by rim whereas bb phone apps are a "trust the developer offering" in many cases.

I'd like DataVault on the pb. It would work with my other copies, I'd hope. Maybe one day.

I do wish we could backup individual apps on the pb. That way I could more easily examine what's in the backup made by DM. Now the apps all have 500 character obscure names!!!!! Okay, not quite 500 characters.

Speaking of backup... let's see how the dice fall now ............
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-21-12 05:07 PM
    Speaking of backup... let's see how the dice fall now ............
    Thanks for the reminder... backing up now too.
    01-21-12 05:14 PM
    Thanks for the reminder... backing up now too.
    Okay, interesting mixed results and I don't know the cause/effect. I started a backup and it failed. But I had open (but not running) a movie-creation program to make a dvd out of slides. But I also did not engage Development Mode. Also Battery Guru and SimpleBrowser were running on the pb. After the failure, I terminated the dvd-creation and a thumbnail-view of the slides (irfanview) and turned on Development Mode and closed all open pb apps. Backup SUCCEEDED.

Now to see what's in the Battery Guru module of the backup!

But I guess we should not derail this thread with Backup stuff.
    01-21-12 06:05 PM
    Aside from File Shield, are there any other app/program that does the same thing?

Cheers
    01-23-12 01:14 AM
    My File Manager
    01-23-12 08:22 AM

Best of luck.
    I just purchased this today. So far, it does its job indeed, cheers.
    01-23-12 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD