Can anyone tell me how safe my credit card information is when making purchases online with the playbook. I ask, because unlike a PC, there seems to be no security software on the playbook, and so I am afraid of someone gaining access to my personal information, such as when making purchases using a credit card, online banking etc. I am only using the playbook at home on a wifi connection.
    Also is the playbook vulnerable to malware, viruses, trojans etc.

Thanks for any advice.
    curve-20 likes this.
    03-09-12 10:57 AM
    Good question> I would also like to know this, even for banking online, etc.
    03-09-12 11:02 AM
    The native web browser on the BlackBerry PlayBook uses secure sockets (SSL) just like all the "Big Boy pants-wearing" web browsers. Are the trolls so desperate to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) it has come to the point they must ask inane questions?
    mdsf and alnamvet68 like this.
    03-09-12 11:09 AM
    Well, there is the issue of whether the wifi signal can be intercepted but that is no different than using a laptop or wifi-phone or whatever in a coffee shop or other public wifi.
    03-09-12 03:57 PM
    The native web browser on the BlackBerry PlayBook uses secure sockets (SSL) just like all the "Big Boy pants-wearing" web browsers. Are the trolls so desperate to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) it has come to the point they must ask inane questions?
    Wow... Actually, I think it's a fair question to ask for anyone who is new to the world of tablets and who doesn't have the same kind of knowledge about the technologies used that some around here do. Not every newbie is a troll, some of them might just be posting questions that they don't know the answer to, you know...
    03-09-12 04:20 PM
    Ditto, I think it's a fair question, especially considering all the sideloading that goes on around here. Do we really know what we're putting on our playbooks. That being said, I'm not too concerned.
    VeniceBB and curve-20 like this.
    03-09-12 04:35 PM
    I've made a few financial transactions on the PlayBook to include funds transfers to an overseas account; trust me, if I thought that would be a problem, I would have never done it.
    03-09-12 04:57 PM
    Security is with the sites and your connection, not really the hardware it's running on.
    03-09-12 05:05 PM
    adding my query here...

So I got a playbook thanks to the low low price for the 64 gb. I cant find any anti-virus software at the moment. Will never use anything called Norton as that killed off my old PC. What anti-virus are people using. There was a time when apple didnt "require" anti virus untill it started bullying the competition and getting better known

anyways please let me know - I might actually ask Blackberry themselves
    08-29-12 04:02 PM
    I sideloaded avg.

Till now,no prob to report...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-29-12 04:10 PM
    I sideloaded avg.

Till now,no prob to report...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    oh ok thanks. I am new to PB so not fully clued up on sideloading apps yet, but I will be looking this one up. thanks
    08-29-12 04:12 PM
    The one thing the playbook has going for it is obscurity, as there aren't many about (compared to android/ios devices) there's less benefit from targeting them.

Don't get me wrong there could be malware out there that can affect the pb, but my gut feeling is you're a lot safer on a playbook than a laptop with Internet exploder, even without antivirus software. This is assuming of course your wifi and the website in question is secure, and you've not followed a dodgy phishing link from an email...

Either way I've put my card details through my pb loads over the time I've had it (since UK release) and not had any issues (touch wood) so i don't see any reason to worry myself
    08-29-12 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD