I bought the Playbook yesterday. Then this afternoon, my 3-yr-old dropped it and now the screen is shattered.

I'm so upset. We have a couple of iPads, a few different generations of iPods and iPhones and they have all been chronically abused by the children, and there was not even a cracked screen.

I checked the warranty and it says the screen is not covered... is it true that $500 is just gone like that--- it's not even 24 hours!!!!
    04-26-11 04:30 PM
    Expensive things are not kids toys. I'm sorry about your misfortune.
    04-26-11 04:35 PM
    Some credit cards offer loss and damage coverage for a short period of time after purchase. Might be worth checking.
    Mastajeet likes this.
    04-26-11 04:38 PM
    Man, sorry to hear that. i feel your pain!
    04-26-11 04:38 PM
    Goodness, I watch my 17 year old like a hawk with my PlayBook and make him sit down while using it. I wouldn't let a 3 year old play with something like this by himself. Sorry about your screen. I do feel really bad for you
    04-26-11 04:39 PM
    Pics or it didn't happen. :P

Also, with these types of devices they can be very durable or very fragile depending on the angle at which they hit the ground. I believe there was a drop test video floating around where he dropped it on concrete screen side down and it didn't shatter but I'm sure if I were to try the same drop from a different angle I would have much different (and more gruesome) results.
    04-26-11 04:41 PM
    I feel for you. Having a 6 and 3-year old myself, I know how easy it can happen. And it doesn't take you allowing them to play with it for accidents to happen. They can reach countertops. In fact, I'm not sure there is any place they can't reach.
    04-26-11 04:42 PM
    Goodness, I watch my 17 year old like a hawk with my PlayBook and make him sit down while using it. I wouldn't let a 3 year old play with something like this by himself. Sorry about your screen. I do feel really bad for you
    thats how i am lol ,my wife is 30 and i tell her to be careful with it haha
    04-26-11 04:43 PM
    I see often parents let small children play with their smartphones and i cringe, nevermind a tablet.

I feel for your loss. Contact rimm and see what they say for repair cost.
    04-26-11 04:44 PM
    Some home owners contents insurance policies will cover that, but you'd have to weigh the cost of your premium increases vs cost of a new Playbook, or a repair.
    04-26-11 04:53 PM
    Brutal! I'd be so upset. Curious on repairs costs though, let us know.
    04-26-11 05:00 PM
    That sucks! My 4 year has been playing with my and I wont let him leave 2 feet from my desk.

did you have a case or gel? that might have helped.
    04-26-11 05:01 PM
    i would pursue the place you bought it from and see if they will still replace it perhaps. Long shot but who knows
    04-26-11 05:02 PM
    i would pursue the place you bought it from and see if they will still replace it perhaps. Long shot but who knows
    I swear, it was like that when I took it out of the box!

Seriously, that's evry geek's nightmare.
    04-26-11 05:06 PM
    That sucks.
    04-26-11 05:11 PM
    This might be a cheap lesson for when you get that new car in 14 years time and you give the keys to your kid

Too bad you didn't get this: https://us.blackberry.extendedwarrantypurchase.com/

:::coughs:::::
    04-26-11 05:30 PM
    I purchased the accidental warranty right away.....I have a 4yr old that loves anything electronic. Luckily she is not allowed to use my PB until she gets rid of the name her daddy told her to call it. He has an iPad which she calls Apple and he taught her to call my PB "Lemon"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-11 05:36 PM
    04-26-11 05:36 PM
    This might be a cheap lesson for when you get that new car in 14 years time and you give the keys to your kid

Too bad you didn't get this: https://us.blackberry.extendedwarrantypurchase.com/

:::coughs:::::
    How much is the extended warranty through BB? Also he's still within the thirty days. So I'd register it now if he really has a broken one.
    04-26-11 05:40 PM
    I bought the Playbook yesterday. Then this afternoon, my 3-yr-old dropped it and now the screen is shattered.

I'm so upset. We have a couple of iPads, a few different generations of iPods and iPhones and they have all been chronically abused by the children, and there was not even a cracked screen.

I checked the warranty and it says the screen is not covered... is it true that $500 is just gone like that--- it's not even 24 hours!!!!
    Odd, like I mentioned in a different thread, a coworker drop his iPad2 from a table onto a hard wood floor and he cracked the screen.
    04-26-11 05:40 PM

Otterbox!

Damn you just beat me to it. I was about to say the same thing. Anyone who has kids should invest in an Otterbox. I would actually like to see how well it protects the Playbook.
    04-26-11 05:41 PM
    How much is the extended warranty through BB? Also he's still within the thirty days. So I'd register it now if he really has a broken one.
    Just complete the first page and once you select the last dropdown, all of the prices appear:

32GB $129
    04-26-11 05:52 PM
    Looks more like a fanboi trying to get other people to buy an Ipad for their kids.....
    Funny enough (or not funny at all), last night my iPad was in it's plastic shell and in a cushioned leather sleeve and fell a couple feet and landed flat on it's back on my ceramic floor and now it's in the shop because the LCD panel is broken.
    04-26-11 05:55 PM
    if it is a true story i feel really bad for you! This is exactly why i paid staples an extra $25 to cover drop/screen damage.
    04-26-11 05:59 PM
    To the OP:

A friend dropped an iphone 4 and the screen shattered. I dropped my Torch and it was fine Doesn't matter what the device is or who manufactures it, if it hits the ground at the right angle, it's toast. I feel for you but as another poster said, check your CC company. They might have a protection in place for you.

To the rest:

Give the guy a break. He was asking if it's true that the screen is not covered and also maybe to see if anyone else had broken theirs and gotten a sympathetic support person to replace it. Remember when the iphone 4s came out, Apple replaced the first few cases of glass breakage so that they can analyze it. No need to jump on the poor guy. He didn't say he let his kid play with it. The kid probably just picked it up and dropped it. Could happen to anyone.
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    04-26-11 06:01 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD