Am the only one who is still wanting a search feature in the videos app? I have about 130 videos on my playbook now and I hate to have to go through all my videos every time just to find the one I'm looking for. I know some of you who have the 64GB version may have alot more videos than me given the extra storage space and might find this feature useful as well. Hopefully RIM implements this feature in an upcoming update in the very near future because I for one would be using this feature alot. What do you guys think?
    08-18-12 09:44 PM
    Videos are listed alphabetically in the Videos app. If you really need search, you can use the file browser Ghost Commander, and use the search function to search within your videos folder to find and also launch the video(s) you're looking for.
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-18-12 11:16 PM
    For Videos there is a search available by the date. If you go to the File Manager and select the Videos then the search. When there key in the date as eg 2012-05-15 and the May 15, 2012 video will show. Or, 2012-05 will give you all the May, 2012 videos. It is also possible to just use a shorter search by numbers eg 03-1 and get everything in March from the 10th to the 19th day of every year.

I have also noticed that it is possible to search by pictures by the sequence they were taken. And, unfortunately it's a bit long but you can even name them by sending them to your email. Eg Go to File Manager and the Pictures area. Click on the edit pen and then on the trash can of a picture you've taken (make sure to cancel after). It will give you a message saying are you sure you want to delete this and show the picture's sequence taken number. Say like as IMG_00000015 which would be the 15th photo you took. Now searching in photos with 15 will pull this up along with all the 115, 215, 315 (etc), 150-159 and 1500-1599 pictures. Not great but if you took five pictures and you know they're at 1,222-1,226 then keying in 122 will give you 122, 1,220-1,229. If you notice numbers are missing then you previously deleted those pictures.

Using a proper app would be best but if you just want to name a few pictures then select them and put into an email to yourself. After, when the picture is opened in the email, double tap the picture icon and it'll turn blue and give you the chance to name it. You could just name it but if you add a name and the original number they will both show up in File Manager under the number search. Naming alone will only give the named one when searching.

I don't think trying to see if it's possible to name videos like pictures would be useful as sending them takes too long. Maybe just saving a separate document with the date and description of what's in the video.

One more note: going into pictures and keying pla gave me what looks like an image of the Peter Yorn song that comes with the playbook? Not sure how it got there or if everyone shows the same.
    08-18-12 11:44 PM
    For Videos there is a search available by the date. If you go to the File Manager and select the Videos then the search. When there key in the date as eg 2012-05-15 and the May 15, 2012 video will show. Or, 2012-05 will give you all the May, 2012 videos. It is also possible to just use a shorter search by numbers eg 03-1 and get everything in March from the 10th to the 19th day of every year.

I have also noticed that it is possible to search by pictures by the sequence they were taken. And, unfortunately it's a bit long but you can even name them by sending them to your email. Eg Go to File Manager and the Pictures area. Click on the edit pen and then on the trash can of a picture you've taken (make sure to cancel after). It will give you a message saying are you sure you want to delete this and show the picture's sequence taken number. Say like as IMG_00000015 which would be the 15th photo you took. Now searching in photos with 15 will pull this up along with all the 115, 215, 315 (etc), 150-159 and 1500-1599 pictures. Not great but if you took five pictures and you know they're at 1,222-1,226 then keying in 122 will give you 122, 1,220-1,229. If you notice numbers are missing then you previously deleted those pictures.

Using a proper app would be best but if you just want to name a few pictures then select them and put into an email to yourself. After, when the picture is opened in the email, double tap the picture icon and it'll turn blue and give you the chance to name it. You could just name it but if you add a name and the original number they will both show up in File Manager under the number search. Naming alone will only give the named one when searching.

I don't think trying to see if it's possible to name videos like pictures would be useful as sending them takes too long. Maybe just saving a separate document with the date and description of what's in the video.

One more note: going into pictures and keying pla gave me what looks like an image of the Peter Yorn song that comes with the playbook? Not sure how it got there or if everyone shows the same.
    I use air browser to rename videos but becareful not to delete the extension file "name" as well (ie: .mp4, .avi, .mkv) because you cannot add periods in the file name thus forcing you to rename it using a PC. But it's not a major issue for me, just a feature I would've liked to be there same way as it is in the music app.
    08-19-12 12:35 AM

For locating pics, Ghost Commander is also particularly useful. If you navigate to your picture folder, you'll have names for each pic and thumbnails of each pic (the size of thumbnails can be adjusted in settings). Further, using Ghosts's toolbar, you can choose to sort pics by name, date, size or extension. Finally, you can launch pics within Ghost and even choose to email the pic- your messges app will open in the compose view with the pic attached.
    08-19-12 01:39 AM
    For locating pics, Ghost Commander is also particularly useful. If you navigate to your picture folder, you'll have names for each pic and thumbnails of each pic (the size of thumbnails can be adjusted in settings). Further, using Ghosts's toolbar, you can choose to sort pics by name, date, size or extension. Finally, you can launch pics within Ghost and even choose to email the pic- your messges app will open in the compose view with the pic attached.
    I'm lazy at the moment (sometimes more moments than others), can you attach multiple's at one time using Ghost? I would probably use it more once 2.1 non-beta releases, if it releases.
    08-19-12 09:29 AM
    Not with Ghost- it's one at a time, but you can send multiple pictures through ES File Explorer, which needs sideloading.
    08-19-12 03:45 PM
    While there are ways to search & organize your videos using 3rd party apps, I would prefer a native solution.

PB needs a robust file manager system built in natively. How about when you take a screenshot & then go to email it to someone. If you have 400 pictures on your PB it takes a while to scoll to the end of the list, my fingure is often a bit raw from swiping by the time I get the vid
    FF22 and luqman24 like this.
    08-19-12 04:05 PM
    If you've just taken a screen shot and want to email it there is a way that will quickly get you to the picture in File Manager.

Go to File Manager and select Pictures. Select the Search button and key in a period. All pictures with a file extension will have one unless you've renamed it some other way. So, all the photos come up with the last ones you've taken showing on screen. The rest of your pictures from last to first taken are there when you scroll up.

It also works for any pictures taken on the Playbook if you type any of the following: I, M, G, _,j, p, or g. since the photos are always described as IMG_(numbers).jpg. I guess you could also narrow the search down for other unnamed photos you've imported by using whatever file extension letter(s) are unique to them.

Regarding pasting in more than one photo at a time into an email. Going into File Manager first doesn't allow it but it can be done when first going to your email in the Messages folder. Opening a new email then selecting the attachment icon will take you to File Manager. Going into Pictures this way allows you to select several (maybe dozens?) and send them all to the email.
    08-19-12 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD