I have a library of documents in HTML, PDF and Word docs. I would love to be able to have a search engine native to the PlayBook to enable me to search a document for words and phrases. And to be able to preview, and jump to the location in the document.

My own research tool for use when travelling. If anyone knows of one such tool, please let me know. This is on top of my wish list for the PlayBook.
    06-15-12 11:24 PM
    PDF Reader can search. If you load html files into either Secure Browser or SimpleBrowser+, they both can search the loaded webpage (search was just added to simple (although it does NOT work in the new OS beta)).
    06-16-12 01:39 AM
    QuickOffice Pro will also allow you to search PDF's, and OfficeSuite Pro will let you search various other kinds of documents. Both apps, I believe, need to be sideloaded.
    06-16-12 02:56 AM
    Thanks. This wasn't quite what I was after. I use Copernic Desktop Search ($49) at home and I also use Windows Search (Free) at work. If you have Windows 7, hit Win-F and you can search for phrases, words etc. Enables me to find emails, documents, etc.

I was just hoping to have something like this on the Playbook.
    06-16-12 09:07 AM
    Copernic - I have not heard that name in ages. I do recall it from ages ago and probably even had it.

I am not sure but I don't believe that there is that kind of search engine yet available.
    06-16-12 10:17 AM
    yeah will definitely be nice to have this feature like Apple's Spotlight
    10-29-12 05:27 PM
    yeah will definitely be nice to have this feature like Apple's Spotlight
    "Apple" is key here. The reason RIM might not have such a feature is because of patents owned by Apple. I know Android OEMs have garnered stern attention from Apple for their universal search functions.
    Tha.Housewife likes this.
    10-29-12 05:37 PM
    "Apple" is key here. The reason RIM might not have such a feature is because of patents owned by Apple. I know Android OEMs have garnered stern attention from Apple for their universal search functions.
    and rims security is awesome, lol...that's what makes em #1 secure devices..
    10-29-12 06:19 PM
    @tha.housewife: just got a playbook and I've got to say that I love it. Only problem... It is neither iOS nor Android based.

Plus, security is a red herring. Apple is gaining traction with govts and if they can keep from having security breaches they'll wipe the Playbook out in the security pr war.

This war between tablet oses will be fought between Apple and the Google clones. Apple is the undisputed king of the hill and Android is the king of cheap. BB7/10 is left with too small a patent portfolio to compete. MS has a huge war chest and the Windows brand to throw at their mobile os. RIM otoh came late and arrogantly thought third party developers would code for their platform. I'll wait until BB 10 comes out to reserve judgements on whether RIM will eke out a living with its own OS or whether they'll throw in the towel and use Android in their next iteration of the playbook (or get out completely though they can't since smsftphones/tablets is the future of telecom).

It comes down to people wanting an iPad but settling for a knockoff.
    11-27-12 10:27 PM