The new firmware is up on the Seagate website. I'll try it out tonight and post the observations.
    i'll keep watching this thread to see what your thoughts are.
    03-14-12 02:21 PM
    i'm on the fence on picking this drive up! let me know what you guys think! my decision will be based on all of your opinions!
    03-14-12 02:48 PM
    Hey,

Installed the firmware without any problems. Restarted the goflex, logged on using my laptop/browser.

Couple of things:
    - the goflex using the new firmware allows you to have the goflex connect to an SSID. Then you'll be able to use that connection to browse, etc.
    - connect up to 7 people to your goflex satellite - limit the connection pool to a particular volume on your drive (not sure what happens if you have multiple volumes, if you can split connections between volumes, etc. Again, not that important)
    - ID3 tags seem to be supported now - my list of music no longer shows '.mp3' - but the proper title of the song as found in the ID3 tag
    - the browser no longer redirects to www.goflexsatellite.com, but is using an IP address instead. Not sure if you can set this address anywhere (not that it matters)
    - settings menu has changed

Have not:
    - tried to stream - will do that later tonight
    - uploaded new stuff to the drive, to see if indexing is still the same / has been improved
    - checked if the battery life has been increased -- rumors on the web said that the software on the drive would be more efficient, using less battery power, thereby increasing the battery life.

Biggest downside:
    - It's no longer possible to view the full title of your movie in the list view -- you'll only get the first 8 characters of the filename. Rather annoying, probably will make me go back to the 1.2 firmware version

If you're still on older firmware, at the very least upgrade to 1.2, and see if the new 1.3 version is worth the hassle to you
    Cheers,

Roland
    suzieque likes this.
    03-14-12 03:18 PM
    I have updated the software and after a bit of a hiccup trying to get music playing ( I disconnected and re-started my PB) all seems well. Video streams well (Rush in Rio) and I now have music streaming. Initially there seemed to be an issue with the drive and PB getting a good connection as playing music, the buffer was barely ahead of the playback and would cut out several times over the course of a song and sometimes up to a minute to get playing again. I did connect to my laptop, wirelessly to the drive, as well and it worked fine. All seems fine for me. I run it more from folder view versus from the individual titles. You don't get the album art and stuff but it works for me.

It certainly adds to the capacity of any tablet. So far so good, of course this is in the safety and comfort of my home. Will have to test it in the real world to really give it a test. Not sure if the update has changed the interface that much but I am sure there are subtle changes I am not aware of. Thumbs up from me so far!!
    osubass1 likes this.
    03-14-12 05:24 PM
    I'm not so sure if it's really better than the 1.2 version. But, maybe i'm using it differently.

I got about 100 episodes of a specific series on my goflex. All are named 'babylon5-seasonx-discy-zz.mp4' (i got more files on there, but this is the best example)

The GUI, while in 'Videos' view, selecting the 'list' view, has to list, under the heading for letter 'B', these 100 files.

Thumbnail view is no good - the thumbnails only show the first 12 characters of the filename.

I tried scrolling through this list using the Remote Control -- i have not been able to get this done. All i'm getting is a little bit of scrolling, more from the GUI itself, rather than the list displayed.

When scrolling through the list using the finger - that works, up to a point. After about 20 or 30 items in the list, the list needs to refresh. After the refresh is done, i want to continue to scroll (remember, 100 files), but the GUI keeps on scrolling up to the point of refresh. So i cannot scroll past that point of refreshing. Again, maybe i'm doing things wrong. But this was not an issue on 1.2

Uploading of files is no longer possible using the 'folder view' -- you now first have to select 'music', 'photos' or 'videos', then the upload button is displayed. Not sure where files show up on the physical drive.

There are a couple more of these annoying things.

It seems the GUI is developed as an afterthought - or more precise, the Touchpad GUI has been developed as an afterthought. Using the GUI on a laptop / mouse is not an issue, everything seems to work ok.

It's when you try to use the Playbook, and even worse when you're trying to use the Remote Control on the Playbook in this GUI. That's where things start falling apart.

Since i forgot my usb3 cable at home, i'll have to wait till the weekend to be able to revert to 1.2 -- after which i will run my same tests, and report back.

If you order one, first upgrade to 1.2, see if you like it. Then upgrade to 1.3.5 and see if you like the improvements. If not, revert back to 1.2
    03-14-12 08:03 PM
    I bought the GoFlex Satellite in Nov of 2011. I have been generally happy with it. I have 200 movies, several hundred songs and several hundred photos on it. After upgrading to OS 2 on the PB, I was not able to get the satellite to connect. I knew the firmware upgrade was coming so I decided to wait and see. I upgraded to the new firmware today and i still can' t connect. Occasionally it will connect and then immediately drop the connection. I am seeing something that I have never seen before. When the connection drops a red star appears beside the WiFi icon on the playbook. I do not know what this means.

I have tried deleting the saved Goflex satellite WiFi profile on the PB. I have emptied the browser cache and made sure that Java and flash are turned on. The reason I am posting my problem here is because the Goflex works fine with my MacBook Pro and my BB 8530. I believe it has something to do with OS 2. I have tried everything I can think of. I am not willing to do a security swipe but will try most anything else. All suggestions will be appreciated.
    03-14-12 09:24 PM
    I bought the GoFlex Satellite in Nov of 2011. I have been generally happy with it. I have 200 movies, several hundred songs and several hundred photos on it. After upgrading to OS 2 on the PB, I was not able to get the satellite to connect. I knew the firmware upgrade was coming so I decided to wait and see. I upgraded to the new firmware today and i still can' t connect. Occasionally it will connect and then immediately drop the connection. I am seeing something that I have never seen before. When the connection drops a red star appears beside the WiFi icon on the playbook. I do not know what this means.

I have tried deleting the saved Goflex satellite WiFi profile on the PB. I have emptied the browser cache and made sure that Java and flash are turned on. The reason I am posting my problem here is because the Goflex works fine with my MacBook Pro and my BB 8530. I believe it has something to do with OS 2. I have tried everything I can think of. I am not willing to do a security swipe but will try most anything else. All suggestions will be appreciated.
    Someone with the same issue you describe on the Seagate forum reported that he fixed it by adding a password to the connection with the Goflex...

Worth a try if you currently have no password set...

Details : GoFlex Password ESSENTIAL for easy playbook use - Seagate Community Forums
    03-14-12 10:01 PM
    Your suggestion worked. A password was just what it needed. Many thanks for the help.
    03-14-12 11:22 PM
    Well back to the drawing board. Goflex locks up after about 10 min connected to the PB. Plays just fine connected to MacBook. Will try again with different content to see if that makes a difference.
    03-15-12 02:48 AM
    Keep us posted, I'm on the hold for buying one of these... read too many bad experience stories on the Seagate forum to pull the trigger just yet.

I'm tempted about this "hacked" FW/root scripts as well but couldn't find enough info on it and I won't pay an extra 35$ for it...

It's funny, this product reminds me a lot of RIM and the PB a year ago. Awesome hardware with the potential to bring every alternative down but it's software is killing it slowly...
    03-15-12 09:24 AM
    See my previous posts in this thread for background. My Goflex Satellite Drive works just fine with my MacBook but consistently locks up with my Playbook. I submitted a request to Seagate Tech Support and this is their response:

Thank you for contacting Seagate.

Sorry, but only tablets are supported with the satellite is android and ios (ipad, ipod, and iphone)

If you have any additional questions you may call us during your regional business hours listed below. For your convenience we also have on-line chat assistance.

Live Assistance: Chat:
    Americas: http://support2.seagate.com/ChatLaunch?rc=1
    Europe: http://support2.seagate.com/ChatLaunch?rc=2

Regards,

Basil
    Seagate Global Customer Support

I realize they never said in the product description that Blackberry is specifically supported. But they do say that most any device that can access a WiFi network should work. Disappointed, but I will continue to look for a solution.
    03-15-12 07:09 PM
    See my previous posts in this thread for background. My Goflex Satellite Drive works just fine with my MacBook but consistently locks up with my Playbook.
    Not sure what I can add to the discussion other than to let you know the BlackBerry PlayBook with OS 2.0 and the Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB WiFi External Hard Drive with the latest firmware update (as of 2 weeks ago) works flawlessly and even streams video without downloading to the tablet. Was there a more recent firmware update?
    03-15-12 11:34 PM
    The latest firmware update came out yesterday. My setup was working fine until I upgraded to PB OS 2.0. Since then there has been nothing but trouble. The fact that streaming to my MacBook is flawless makes me think my problem is OS 2.0. I am thinking about returning the Goflex for a replacement. Did you notice any changes when you upgraded to OS 2.0?
    03-16-12 12:03 AM
    See my previous posts in this thread for the background on this problem. Update to my problems of connecting to Goflex Satellite since upgrading to OS 2. I ran across a reference to a known bug in OS 2 that caused Bluetooth to interfere with connecting to unsecured networks. I turned off Bluetooth on the PB and can now connect and stream normally. Tried turning bluetooth back on after connecting and it drops the connection. Happy to find this out but the downside at least for me is that I had just bought a really nice set of bluetooth earphones specifically to use with watching movies streamed to the PB. Maybe RIM will correct this in a future update. Maybe this will help someone who is having similar problems.
    RicThot and sleepngbear like this.
    03-16-12 01:20 PM
    Good news from Seagate. I delay buying the GoFlex Satellite as I need the drive to access the internet while connecting to the drive. I have already a few hard drives but I want one that can be connected to the devices wirelessly. My laptop has a 128 GB Flash drive and I am running out of space. I need a wireless backup device both for the Laptop and the Playbook.

Looks like Seagate has released an update to fix the issue. I am going to get one now.

Here are the links for the news and update software.

GoFlex Satellite - Firmware Release Notes

GoFlex Satellite Firmware Update | Seagate

Edit:- I just ordered one.

Edit2:- Just got it and it works great for media files. However, I could not save files on it using WIFI and only media files are available via the browser. I was hoping to use it as a Wireless backup for my laptop but cannot do it for the moment. May be future updates would make that possible. It is great as a media storage device though.
    Last edited by EWY; 03-22-12 at 08:36 PM.
    03-16-12 03:19 PM
    I ran across a reference to a known bug in OS 2 that caused Bluetooth to interfere with connecting to unsecured networks. I turned off Bluetooth on the PB and can now connect and stream normally. Tried turning bluetooth back on after connecting and it drops the connection.
    Good find.

It's even more annoying, since Remote Control requires Bluetooth...
    03-16-12 09:19 PM
    I took my time while testing the new firmware version. Overall performance of the drive has drastically improved and I tested it using both the stock Playbook browser and the GoFlex Media Android App. I was able to convert the app with the help of SCrid2000 who provided the .apk file to me. There are issues with the app, but it loads nevertheless. For those of you who would like to sideload it and test it out, you can find the .bar file here:

com.seagate.goflexsatellite-973.bar - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

The improvments are seen in the overall access speed of the drive. When the browser is connecting to the drive for the first time, it loads much quicker. Once inside the interface, the first problem that stands out are the truncated file names in each section. In the list view there are 12 characters displayed, the thumbnail view has 8 characters displayed and in the folder view it is down to 6 characters. I have read on the Seagate forums that people who had the drive connected to their laptops can hover over the tile with the mouse in order to display the full file name. That is not the case on the Playbook while using the remote control function from my Bold 9900. Firmwares 1.2.0.012 and 1.1.0.005a did not have this issue. The only way one can see the full file name is to start streaming the file and it will appear on the top of the screen along with the resolution of the video.

Every video file that I have tried opens within 1-2 seconds in the browser and starts playing without any issues. I have ran the drive constantly for 6 hours while playing back to back videos without experiencing any drops in streaming. The .m4v demo videos, that came on the GFS and were inaccesible in previous firmwares, now stream perfectly. I have attempted to play .mkv files with Playbook compatible codecs and at first had the same issue as in my previous posts. A message pops up asking me if I want to save the file onto the Playbook. I then changed all the file extensions from .mkv to .avi and files started streaming from the drive instantly. Most of my collection are mkvs with H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1) video and AAC or MP3 sound. I wish RIM would bring on .ac3 and .dts support but I understand there are licensing costs. The files with 720P format will stream without stuttering. I have tried videos up to 7-8 GB in size. The 1080P format on the other hand will begin to stutter 5-10 mins into the movie. If one decides to save any file onto the Playbook from the GFS, it will transfer roughly 700mb in 5 minutes. This is the path I'll take to transfer any large file onto my Playbook since the WIFI transfer from my desktop is painfully slow.

I really like the internet WIFI access implemented in this firmware, but it's a hit or miss on the Playbook. When I hit the + sign next to Enable Internet Browsing, the new window most of time appears black and I lose the connection to the GFS alltogether. I have to reconnect to the drive, close my browser, open it again and then proceed to connect to my network. If you only refresh the browser while reconnecting, the crash of the connection to the GFS will keep occuring. Once connected to the internet, any new tab that is open will take you to the browser homepage. In order to access the drive you will have to go to www.goflexsatellite.com. At this point the keyboard somehow wouldn't come up when I tried to enter the web adress so I had to manually bring it up by swiping towards the center from the bottom left corner of the screen. I was not able to find the way to disconnect from the WIFI network. There is a way to forget it which will stop it from automatically connecting in future, but that does not disconnect you from the household wireless network. After using the GFS make sure to close the drive interface in the browser. I tried accessing the internet a few hours later by just being connected to my WIFI network and the browser page kept hanging. I then realized it was looking for the GFS web interface.

The battery life of the drive seems to have gotten worse. I can squeeze out 3 hours of streaming 700 mb avi files before the red light would come on. At this point, according to the manual, there are 50 minutes of the charge left. I never attempted running it until its dry. Streaming HD videos will eat into the battery at a faster pace. I experienced 2.5 hours on average before the red light would appear. With previous firmware versions I was able to get around 4 hours until the red light, while testing 700 mb avi files.

Onto the app.

I was really happy that I was able to convert it to a .bar file. There were minor errors that were seen during the conversion. I can post a log for someone more knowledgable to take a look at it. Initially the app did not start, but after restarting the Playbook I was able to get into it. It seems to only work in portrait mode. The layout is nicer compared to the browser and the file names are fully shown. However, when I try to watch videos I keep getting the "Format not supported in native or currently installed apps." error. If you click done it takes you back to the file list. Hitting next will play the same original demo in the browser no matter which file you try to play. The app is also missing the Stream and Download option from the iOS app that supposedly extends the baterry life of the GFS to 8 hours.I would appreciate if someone can try the app and post their comments.

That's it for now. Overall I'm very happy with the new firmware. A few of these bugs need to be ironed out and that would make me completely satisfied. Ability to use the app would be the icing on the cake.
    EWY, hackerguy, suzieque and 1 others like this.
    03-17-12 09:06 AM
    Thanks for a detailed and informative post. I can live with all of the shortcomings except the fact that it consistently drops the connection 5-10 min into the movie. This happens with both avi and mp4 formats which are the only two I have. All of my files will play just fine when downloaded to the PB, but streaming is erratic and uncertain. I will keep looking for solutions.
    03-17-12 12:40 PM
    Thanks for a detailed and informative post. I can live with all of the shortcomings except the fact that it consistently drops the connection 5-10 min into the movie. This happens with both avi and mp4 formats which are the only two I have. All of my files will play just fine when downloaded to the PB, but streaming is erratic and uncertain. I will keep looking for solutions.
    I was under the impression that you had this fixed by turning on the password and turning off the bluetooth? I connected my Bold through bluetooth to use it as a remote while connected to the GSF and didn't experience any problems.
    03-17-12 01:41 PM
    I was under the impression that you had this fixed by turning on the password and turning off the bluetooth? I connected my Bold through bluetooth to use it as a remote while connected to the GSF and didn't experience any problems.
    I also thought that the problem had been corrected but it started dropping the connection again. Today, it is dropping the connection when connected to my MacBoo Pro. That has not happened before. I am going to initiate a return to Seagate. I believe the drive is defective.
    03-17-12 03:42 PM
    03-18-12 06:43 PM
    I am doing a return of my Goflex to Seagate. They are sending a replacement and I will ship mine back to them. I will check it out and hopefully have good news to report. My guess is that Engadget is just a few days off on his date regarding the new firmware update scheduled for 3/19. The latest one was published on 3/14.
    03-18-12 09:16 PM
    03-19-12 02:01 PM
    This was released 3/14. Already updated.
    03-19-12 02:20 PM
    I have 3 GFS drives and they work great with the 1.2 firmware and the playbook

I tried the 1.3 firmware but it has one annoying change to it

in the browser interface they made all the filenames only 8 characters so its really hard to find the song/movie you are looking for now

I backed all mine out to 1.2 again and whined on their support forum

Taz
    03-19-12 02:28 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD