Is this the goto external HDD for us playbook owners or is there something newer/better? Curious to know if some of the issues have been resolved from some older posts I came across. Mainly do I have to pay for the firmware from hackseagatesatellite to get a good experience from it. Also is there a playbook app for it yet? Any input from long time users and anyone who just purchased one would be great. Sorry if this is a recurring post but I noticed it on sale at bestbuy in the US.

Seagate - GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage - Black - STBF500101
    02-12-13 09:28 PM
    I have it and use it to play music and movies on my playbook. I have the latest firmware. It still isn't the prettiest interface but it works well as extra non cloud storage. I have used it more for travelling so near power but it seems to last pretty good i.e. 3-4 hours before running down. If it is on sale it would be a good purchase. I recommend it, just wish Seagate kept tweaking the interface but no updates for a while now. Must not have sold as well as they hoped. It is nice that you can hook up multiple devices and can surf the internet if you choose. Previous firmware didn't allow surfing. Hope this helps.
    02-12-13 10:42 PM
    Is this the goto external HDD for us playbook owners or is there something newer/better? Curious to know if some of the issues have been resolved from some older posts I came across. Mainly do I have to pay for the firmware from hackseagatesatellite to get a good experience from it. Also is there a playbook app for it yet? Any input from long time users and anyone who just purchased one would be great. Sorry if this is a recurring post but I noticed it on sale at bestbuy in the US.

Yes, you have to pay for the "hack software", which allows you to make the Go Flex a "two-way" proposition. As it sits from the box, it is a great peice of hardware, loaded all my CD's, and about 35 differnet movies for thiose days/nights in tha airport/hotel room. Plug in my PB with the 6 foot HDMI, link the go flex and it's MY movies, not the stuff and overpriced stuff hotels charge. Buy it!!!!!!!

I would not go for "the Hack" about 35 bucks, what this buys you is the ability to transfer files both ways, which in my opinion is not safe. Just save what ever you want to the PB/Phone and transfer them when you get to a clean PC.

C
    02-13-13 09:05 AM
    I'm aware the "hack software" must be paid for but is it worth it? Will it make my experience that much better or am I fine with the HDD right out of the box. Very few replies, anyone using something else? Thanks
    02-14-13 08:10 AM
    I'm aware the "hack software" must be paid for but is it worth it? Will it make my experience that much better or am I fine with the HDD right out of the box. Very few replies, anyone using something else? Thanks
    My guess, and for me, probably not. You'll be watching videos and listening to music streaming from it. You can have up to 3 different video files playing ion 3 different machines (one for the 2 kids, and one for your wifey). All will be happy.

The only thing I can see about going for the "hack" to alllow 2 way file transfer, is to obviously drop files onto the Goflex from your Playbook, i.e. camera shots. I have my Olympus E3 dump into my platbook through the Eye-Fi card. Then when I get back to the room/home, I transfer them to my pc.

Go for it, they are on sale at best buy for about 109.00 usd. You can always get the "hack" firmware later on.............

But zI think you will be pleasantly pleased with the Go-Flex as it is presented and used.

C
    02-14-13 09:00 AM
    I'm sounding like a broken record but this was another thing mentioned at bef. Seagate are working on a native app for bb10. No eta

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-14-13 09:09 AM
    Thanks for the info folks.
    02-17-13 06:14 PM

There is a new version. Apps only for the usual suspects, but a web based interface is available as well. I only know what the review below says.

Review: Review: Seagate Wireless Plus Hard Drive
    "Seagate has just released an entirely new version of the same piece of hardware. Its now called the Seagate Wireless Plus (a much better name). It maintains its $200 price tag, but you get more for your money. Capacity has been upped to 1 terabyte, battery life has been improved to a claimed 10 hours"

Hackseagatesatellite is not yet available, but if you weren't planning on using that, it may be worth checking out.

Bestbuy: Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB Mobile Device Storage Gray STCK1000100 - Best Buy
    02-17-13 11:48 PM
    Has anyone used the seagate hack software on the new wireless plus? I just bought the new hdd so that my son can watch videos on his playbook. I find that the current software freezez up after playing one video and you have to reload the browser each time you want to play a new video. I read that the hacked software can play multiple files continuously. Can anyone confirm this?

I would like to know how blackberry friendly is this seagate hack. Their forums are locked to private membership after making a donation so I can't read up on it and their tutorials talk about iPad support.
    03-28-13 09:40 AM
    A little late with the reply but I did end up picking the goflex satellite up. So far it is a great HDD as it is. Again thanks for the info.
    04-24-13 08:55 AM