I've noticed that after the latest OS update, that when the playbook is off and you put it on charge, as soon as it starts with the slow blinking green led light, the backlight of the screen comes on, anyone else notice this? I've debricked it several times because i thought it was a flaw but alas it's still there. Is this normal?
    05-02-12 12:38 PM
    Yes it is. I contacted RIM right after the OS update and they said they changed the charging behavior and the screen is now "enabled" while charging the pb when it is off. The icon shows up right after you unplug it and the screen goes back off shortly thereafter.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-02-12 12:57 PM
    Yes it is. I contacted RIM right after the OS update and they said they changed the charging behavior and the screen is now "enabled" while charging the pb when it is off. The icon shows up right after you unplug it and the screen goes back off shortly thereafter.
    If that is the case it should charge faster in standby.
    05-02-12 12:59 PM
    If that is the case it should charge faster in standby.
    Actually rotorwrench checked it with Battery Guru and found no battery output so I'm not sure that's true.
    05-02-12 01:09 PM
    What do you suppose the reasoning for it to be on is?
    05-02-12 01:19 PM
    What do you suppose the reasoning for it to be on is?
    I have no earthly idea. If my pb is off, I want it off (and please don't anyone tell me it wasn't meant to be turned off & I should leave it in standby - it's my pb, I paid for it, & if I want to occasionally turn it off, it's my choice ). They offered no explanations, just informed me of the above. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
    05-02-12 01:29 PM
    Been like that for a while now, waaaaaaay waaaaaaaaay before 2.0.
    05-02-12 03:31 PM
    Been like that for a while now, waaaaaaay waaaaaaaaay before 2.0.
    Never did it on mine and it also never showed the charging disconnect icon either
    05-02-12 03:36 PM
    Never did it on mine and it also never showed the charging disconnect icon either
    You just never noticed then, sorry to say, but it's been like that since a little bit after launch when they added the green LED.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    05-02-12 03:41 PM
    Sorry. But...... On my brand new one that I got around April 15 2012 and after latest update mine is doing the same thing. I power off the playbook, wait for the light to go off then plug it in and all was fine for awhile. But after the newest smaller update my screen comes on. Not fully on but can tell its on. It never did this before. NEVER! I can tell cause I plug in it at night in an extremely dark room so I would've noticed if it came on.

I did notice the charge icon for awhile though.
    05-02-12 03:50 PM
    You just never noticed then, sorry to say, but it's been like that since a little bit after launch when they added the green LED.
    I've charged it in my dark bedroom ever since I got the thing in december, who the heck are you to say i never noticed it. I did notice it, just yesterday after I updated the thing and charged it after doing so.
    05-02-12 03:57 PM
    All three of mine have been doing that for awhile. Since before the last update.

It may not have been happening to yours, doesn't change the fact this is not a new problem.
    05-02-12 04:03 PM
    I've charged it in my dark bedroom ever since I got the thing in december, who the heck are you to say i never noticed it. I did notice it, just yesterday after I updated the thing and charged it after doing so.
    Do some searching before getting all worked up into a huff, it's been this way for a long time, you've just never noticed before, it's ok, nothing to be ashamed of.
    05-02-12 04:21 PM
    It appears slightly more noticeable to me after most recent update. Very slightly brighter. If there is ambient light in the room, it might be noticeable for the first time.
    I think you are all right, just seeing under different conditions.
    05-02-12 05:55 PM
    Mine never did it until the last update either. Very noticeable in my case also because the charging location and times have been consistent, a pitch black bedroom when I wake up.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    05-02-12 06:07 PM
    Hmmm. Wonder why RIM told me they just changed it with the latest update? I never was able to see mine even in the dark and I know for a fact there weren't any icons when I unplugged it. Interesting.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-02-12 06:52 PM
    Hmmm. Wonder why RIM told me they just changed it with the latest update? I never was able to see mine even in the dark and I know for a fact there weren't any icons when I unplugged it. Interesting.
    Dunno what to tell you. Since they added the LED for charging when PB is off the screen has always been lit very faintly, been this way forever. Look it up, done trying to explain to people, don't blame me you never noticed before, who knows maybe it's brighter now, but it was on before and you just never noticed. Icons are new I guess, but ever since the PB got the LED to go green when off and charging the backlight would be on with no icons or whatever... That's probably why you're just noticing it now.
    Last edited by jwn66; 05-02-12 at 09:23 PM.
    05-02-12 09:12 PM
    Thanks but actually I wasn't asking you to explain anything to me. Just expressing my own experience. I got what I needed from RIM.
    05-02-12 09:24 PM
    Thanks but actually I wasn't asking you to explain anything to me. Just expressing my own experience. I got what I needed from RIM.
    Well, what you got told was wrong, the Icon must be the new, but the backlighting has been there since LED was set to do it's thang when powered off.
    05-02-12 09:29 PM
    Well, what you got told was wrong, the Icon must be the new, but the backlighting has been there since LED was set to do it's thang when powered off.
    Well I don't think I'll tell them. They've got enough on their plate right now.
    05-02-12 09:50 PM
    Dunno what to tell you. Since they added the LED for charging when PB is off the screen has always been lit very faintly, been this way forever. Look it up, done trying to explain to people, don't blame me you never noticed before, who knows maybe it's brighter now, but it was on before and you just never noticed. Icons are new I guess, but ever since the PB got the LED to go green when off and charging the backlight would be on with no icons or whatever... That's probably why you're just noticing it now.
    LOL. Wow, dude! You are unbelievable! You have some nerve telling people they're wrong in they're observations. I got one for you Kreskin. We had three PBs at work today that they didn't have time to update yet. So after seeing this thread, before leaving work, we took them with the chargers into our compressor room, which has no windows in it. Powered off, we plugged all three in and turned off the light, pitch black. Oh my! Guess what, no glow from two, none whatsoever. Both screens totally black. The third did glow. We waited almost 10 minutes with still no change. Same as my personal PB before the update.

Sorry, but you are so wrong and regardless of what you say or believe, it won't change the facts that some PBs didn't have a glowing screen when off and on charge. Observed fact by me and a co-worker on theses two and my wife and I on mine. You need to deal with this
    Chrysalis1156 likes this.
    05-03-12 12:09 AM
    LOL. Wow, dude! You are unbelievable! You have some nerve telling people they're wrong in they're observations. I got one for you Kreskin. We had three PBs at work today that they didn't have time to update yet. So after seeing this thread, before leaving work, we took them with the chargers into our compressor room, which has no windows in it. Powered off, we plugged all three in and turned off the light, pitch black. Oh my! Guess what, no glow from two, none whatsoever. Both screens totally black. The third did glow. We waited almost 10 minutes with still no change. Same as my personal PB before the update.

Sorry, but you are so wrong and regardless of what you say or believe, it won't change the facts that some PBs didn't have a glowing screen when off and on charge. Observed fact by me and a co-worker on theses two and my wife and I on mine. You need to deal with this
    Thanks so much for posting this. I knew my backlight hadn't been on before the update as I was leaving it in a totally dark room. I was fine with accepting that others might have had a different experience but wasn't too happy about being treated so rudely. You're awesome!!
    05-03-12 08:49 AM
    I have one that lights and one that doesn't. I know neither did before the update.
    Something is wacky whether RIM added or not.
    05-03-12 09:36 AM
    I'm starting to wonder if RIM checked it out after I wrote to them and then said "Hey look at that - the light is on and there's a funny picture" and then wrote back saying "Yep, we changed it." I can't imagine what purpose it serves but whatever. As long as I don't get the red blinking light of dread, I'm good.
    05-03-12 10:08 AM
    I have the same issue with the screen staying on. I've notice that when I boot it after a full charge, my screen has lines in. It eventually goes away after around 20 minutes.
    05-03-12 10:12 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD