Hey guys, wanting to know your opinions.

screen protectors good or bad idea? will i lose responsiveness with my screen if i get one? there is a place in our local mall that does one called invisible shield which is a 3m product.

I want to keep my playbook as nice condition as i can, but i also want the same functionality.

thanks!
    01-11-12 08:30 AM
    Personally I think screenprotectors are an awesome idea. I have never had any problems with the responsiveness of any device with a screen protector on. IMO you get what you pay for. You want something that looks like a cheap flimsy peice of plastic on your screen, then buy a cheap one. If you want something that looks and feels like nothng is there, then buy a decent one like Ghost Armor, or Invisible shield(dont like the look or feel of IS).
    Last edited by homer1475; 01-11-12 at 08:41 AM.
    01-11-12 08:36 AM
    Invisible Shield on mine for a couple of months. A little less sensitive to touch but i'm glad it's there. I work in fairly dusty environments sometimes.
    01-11-12 08:44 AM
    Ghost Armor all the way. I got the full body on my 9900 and can't tell that it's on. My touch screen is the same without the armor and my phone is in MINT condition. Always helps when u wanna re-sell ur device.

I know it's not a PB, but just wanted to give my 2 cents!
    Last edited by BENZ_O; 01-11-12 at 08:48 AM.
    01-11-12 08:46 AM
    I personally went with the Ghost Armor... I have the screen and full body skin. The screen is clear, but it's not flawless as most other claim. Unless maybe it's just me, but I searched the forums for other people's experiences with GH, and they all said it was great. My screen has a slight orange peel affect to it - something others have said it did not. I was a little disappointed in that, but it has not affect my touch experience with it. I even left the original film that came with it on until I could find a better alternative for a screen protector.

Some may say you dont need it, but in my past experiences it has saved me, and taught me a lesson. With my 9800, I had one on for the longest time that I got from ATT when I got the phone, and it took a beating. It started to peel so I decided to remove it. Not a week later under normal user, it got scratched! I was able to find a new screen protector, but I learned my lesson. Put on one, keep one on, and if needed to be replaced, have one on hand.
    01-11-12 09:24 AM
    i have mine in the otterbox defender case. had it there since the minute i opened it. i dont notice any loss of sensitivity, but then i didnt play without it either. i love the fact that my pb is basically brand new inside the case, plus i work in heavy industrial places so for that environment the defender is a must.
    01-11-12 09:30 AM
    I personally went with the Ghost Armor... I have the screen and full body skin. The screen is clear, but it's not flawless as most other claim. Unless maybe it's just me, but I searched the forums for other people's experiences with GH, and they all said it was great. My screen has a slight orange peel affect to it - something others have said it did not. I was a little disappointed in that, but it has not affect my touch experience with it. I even left the original film that came with it on until I could find a better alternative for a screen protector.

Some may say you dont need it, but in my past experiences it has saved me, and taught me a lesson. With my 9800, I had one on for the longest time that I got from ATT when I got the phone, and it took a beating. It started to peel so I decided to remove it. Not a week later under normal user, it got scratched! I was able to find a new screen protector, but I learned my lesson. Put on one, keep one on, and if needed to be replaced, have one on hand.
    How long have you you had the GA on for? After a couple days it gets clearer. Ive had GA on my laptop for nearly 4 years now and it has 0 "orange peel"(recently peeled it off for a warrenty replacement), unlike the IS I had on my 9800 that got that effect after only a couple of months.
    01-11-12 09:31 AM
    You don't need a screen protector, the only thing they do is decrease the touch responsiveness. A guy came by the other day to show me something on his playbook with a screen protector on and it was horrible trying to do gestures on.

Look up the video of one of the guys on crackberry taking a key to his screen. The screen does not scratch. Get the leather pouch or something if you want to protect the back of the device while it's not in use.

Don't ruin the experience of the touch screen!!

Edit: found the video
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...ch-test-forums
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZN_n2GkKdA[/YT]
    Last edited by djdnz; 01-11-12 at 09:43 AM.
    01-11-12 09:38 AM
    How long have you you had the GA on for? After a couple days it gets clearer. Ive had GA on my laptop for nearly 4 years now and it has 0 "orange peel"(recently peeled it off for a warrenty replacement), unlike the IS I had on my 9800 that got that effect after only a couple of months.
    since just after christmas. I did the installation myself as well, based off of the instructions the guy gave me, since I did not bring my PB with me to the mall the day I went. I have slight haze/micro bubbles but that hasn't affected anything. The orange peel has been there since day one, but again, it has not affected my touch experience on my PB, so I am still debating on taking the whole thing back to the kiosk to have them replace it. I might pick up one for my 9800 as well since I currently have one with the anti-glare coating, but that is starting to scratch off itself. But then again, I am also looking to upgrade to the 9810 sometime soon.

I should add that while most "premium" screen protectors come with a "lifetime" warranty for a free replacement, what they don't tell you is that you are only allowed 1 replacement, and after the second, you have to purchase another. At least that's how it was explained to me by the GA guy at the local kiosk.
    Last edited by Serkle K; 01-11-12 at 09:44 AM.
    01-11-12 09:42 AM
    It all depends; most of the offerings are cheap, go on with difficulty, and in most cases you can't get the bubbles out no matter what you do. I use the SGP Ultra Fine Mat screen protector on my iPhones and Playbook. It goes on nicely and very little is required to achieve a perfect bubble free screen. It also, dare I say, enhances the touch sensitivity, and it works extremely well with the Rocketfish touch stylus that I use. It's expensive, but well worth it.
    01-11-12 09:49 AM
    I've personally used Invisible Shield's on every screen I've owned and have never had any problems. There used to be an issue with the "orange peel" effect but I haven't seen that with any of the latest IS's I've purchased. If at all possible, try and find the Invisible Shield DRY. It goes on much easier and virtually eliminates the possibility of orange peel, considering it is caused by the contraction of the shield as it dries and/or settles.

The IS that is on my PlayBook currently has not reduced the function of the touchscreen in any way.
    01-11-12 09:57 AM
    You need to find one at a bathroom at a truck stop - guaranteed sensitivity. Oh, wait.

Actually, I'm one of those who has managed more than reasonable response and I have TWO. I've got a matte right on the screen and then added an Otterbox. That may explain why the styli I tried were not very good. But my finger has no trouble.
    01-11-12 10:06 AM
    I've always used Best Skins Ever on my phones and have one on my Playbook. I love them. If you install it correct, you cant tell its there. Its easy to clean and it is very tough. I can take my fingernail to it and dig in, and cause no damage.

The BSE is $13.99 for the screen and $18.99 for total body. Shipping is $2.
    01-11-12 10:13 AM
    i got a tru screen protector for my PB absolutely love it, I notice my fingers don't drag on the screen like they typically would on the glass and it went on nice and easy. Few months now and no orange peel, did i mention it was easy to clean.
    01-11-12 12:17 PM
    You don't need a screen protector, the only thing they do is decrease the touch responsiveness. A guy came by the other day to show me something on his playbook with a screen protector on and it was horrible trying to do gestures on.

Look up the video of one of the guys on crackberry taking a key to his screen. The screen does not scratch. Get the leather pouch or something if you want to protect the back of the device while it's not in use.

Don't ruin the experience of the touch screen!!

Edit: found the video
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...ch-test-forums
    Key test is actually not a good test. If you want to test how easy it is to scratch the screen take some sand and put it under your finger, press really hard, and drag your finger across the screen. If there are no scratches then I would agree no protector is needed. In actuality it is very unlikely that the screen would withstand this.

The reason why the key test does not work is two fold...one, the actual contact surface area is fairly low pressure since the key does not have a single very fine pressure point, and two, the hardness of metal used in keys is actually lower than the hardness of the glass. Kinda the same reason why breaking a car window with a spark plug is easy but breaking it with a hammer is hard, or why a diamond can cut glass without any problems.
    blue-b likes this.
    01-11-12 12:51 PM
    I've had mine since May with no screen protector. No scratches yet.

I wouldn't mind having a static cling protector on there though. If I could get it on perfectly. Which isn't going to happen. So I don't bother wasting money.

At this point I don't care as much about the device. If I were to get a scratch I wouldn't care much.
    01-11-12 12:55 PM
    I had a Hip Street protector on becuase it was cheap...and you get what you pay for in that case. It was horrible and no matter what I tried to do I couldnt get rid of the bubbles on the screen. Im back naked now with a nice protective case and love it.
    01-11-12 01:17 PM
    Don't decrease the screen sharpness (the *best* single feature of the PlayBook) and responsiveness to touches/swipes (one of the *worst* features of the PlayBook) with a screen protector.

When I see people with screen protectors and massively overengineered cases that add significant bulk, I am reminded of people who leave the shipping plastic on their couches.

Of course there are edge cases for the plastic covered couch (eg uncontrolled bowel syndromes), and screen protectors/mondocases (severe environmental conditions). For the vast majority of us though... (apologies for the late 90's affectation with ellipses here, time is short today).

You have to remember that these devices are not heirlooms. They are tools/toys that will fairly rapidly become obsolete. I believe the PlayBook in particular has a short useful life ahead (near future orphan due to failure in the market [sales / losses per sale / reputation damage to RIM etc etc]--> lack of security updates --> unwise use on the internet). Enjoy them now for what they are without hampering your user experience by adding unnecessary cruft.
    Last edited by Interloper.; 01-11-12 at 01:22 PM. Reason: speeling
    JeffyPooh likes this.
    01-11-12 01:20 PM
    No screen protector for me....on playbook, torch, or any other BB device ever. Some of my handhelds start to look a little worse for wear after 10-12 months, but by then it is almost time to upgrade.

No scratches at all on my PB yet.
    01-11-12 01:31 PM
    @teeuwen
    3M Natural View Screen Protector works great. You could pick it up cheap on eBay. I would do the installation myself. No need to pay someone to do it.

My review.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...review-685172/

Installation video
    01-11-12 02:11 PM
    I only have a convertivble case, no screen protector and a gallon ziploc bag with a desicant for when i put the PB in my briefcase. I'm good to go!
    01-11-12 03:06 PM
    I have a matte protector and haven't had any problems with it. I like that it cuts down on the glare as well as fingerprints!! It also provides a nice tactile feel that the glossy screen does not. That said, I recently purchased another Playbook and have not put a cover on it.

I certainly don't think you "need" one as the glass is pretty tough and a piece of plastic isn't going to do much (in my opinion).

I've gotten several from Monoprice. You can't beat their prices and they have been as good as any other screen protector I have gotten from Best Buy (except maybe the Zagg products).
    01-11-12 03:54 PM
    Don't decrease the screen sharpness (the *best* single feature of the PlayBook) and responsiveness to touches/swipes (one of the *worst* features of the PlayBook) with a screen protector.
    While the responsiveness isn't an issue with my screen protector (Bodyguardz) I can definitely see your point with regards to the sharpness of the screen. I was idly checking out a PB on display in a local store and could really see the difference in clarity. Mine just doesn't seem as vibrant and sharp, I'm in two minds about removing it. I guarantee as soon as I do I'll damage the screen in some way!
    01-11-12 04:17 PM
    Have Tru protection anti-glare on mine, bought at The Source/ Radio Shack. Easy to install being semi rigid & no liquid involved just line up 2 edges & drop on. Anti-Glare does take away a little of the picture sharpness but I find it alot easier on the eyes in bright light. Still responds well with it on, finger glides easier & what I've come to really like is less cleaning of finger prints.
    01-11-12 04:57 PM
    Key test is actually not a good test. If you want to test how easy it is to scratch the screen take some sand and put it under your finger, press really hard, and drag your finger across the screen. If there are no scratches then I would agree no protector is needed. In actuality it is very unlikely that the screen would withstand this.

The reason why the key test does not work is two fold...one, the actual contact surface area is fairly low pressure since the key does not have a single very fine pressure point, and two, the hardness of metal used in keys is actually lower than the hardness of the glass. Kinda the same reason why breaking a car window with a spark plug is easy but breaking it with a hammer is hard, or why a diamond can cut glass without any problems.
    Dear Mr Wizard: Next you are going to tell us you can fix the bulge with heat.

I recall my Palm Pilot. I dragged the stylus across the screen and heard this awful ripping sound. Yup, must have been a small piece of grit - 1 inch scratch!
    dejanh likes this.
    01-11-12 07:09 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD