I dropped my PlayBook face down on tiles, the glass cracked and so did the LCD.

Is this user repairable, and if so, how much would it cost? I have successfully replaced cracked glass on an iPhone 3G, so while it was time consuming, if it's the same level of difficulty (roughly) I could do it.
    02-24-13 09:22 PM
    There are a few threads on the subject. The big issue apparently is making sure you get a replacement screen with the metal frame attached as removing the glue is quite tedious. There also have been links to the parts and there's one or two disassembly videos on the web. Good luck.

Rim charges around $100, I think that I've read.
    02-24-13 10:06 PM
    I show Amazon has an LCD screen for $45, and a digitizer for $40. You might be better off buying a used, or differently-broken one, and scavenge for the parts you need.
    02-24-13 10:14 PM
    Had the same issue and picked a 32GB up for 130 from Kijiji. Consumer electronics... just don't drop it too frequently or it becomes as expensive as an apple...

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 10:16 PM
    Amazon has both screens. The LCD screen is $44.99 and the Digitizer screen is $33.99. If you have a case opening tool and small phillips screwdriver you can get it apart. The first time will take about 45 min to replace the screens.
    02-24-13 10:26 PM
    Thanks. The price does look a bit high given the cost of the device. I think I might just leave it, and keep an eye out for a PB being sold for parts due to non-working internals. I've seen a working 32GB on CL for $100, so a non-working one should be cheaper.
    02-24-13 11:22 PM
    That would certainly be my approach, seeing as I suggested it. At the same time, just picking up a working one, and having this one set aside, either for parts/battery/etc or in waiting for the appearance of a broken one to make it whole would give you at least one working PB and possibly even one more for much less than two would cost you directly.
    02-25-13 01:29 PM
    The price of the parts would be the determining factor. I just replaced my third digitizer this weekend and it's not a bad fix at all. The first time it took me around 30min, but now I can do it in about 20mins. It takes me another 10mins if I have to separate the digitizer from the frame. And no, I'm not cracking them. The first was a PB I bought from a member here with a cracked digitizer, one at work and another I just bought for $35 with a cracked digitizer. I gave the second to a friend and the third is a 64g I'm keeping, especially since I only have $75 into it.

If you choose to repair it, replacing the LCD adds no additional time to the process as it's removed when you do the digitizer.
    02-25-13 08:13 PM
    Amazon has both screens. The LCD screen is $44.99 and the Digitizer screen is $33.99. If you have a case opening tool and small phillips screwdriver you can get it apart. The first time will take about 45 min to replace the screens.
    Just curious, why we do need to replace both (The LCD screen is $44.99 and the Digitizer screen)?
    I have two playbooks (32gb & 64gb) both have cracked screen, but still working fine. Not sure what to replace.
    05-06-13 12:58 AM
    Last summer I broke my screen and replaced it myself.

Warning: It takes a little time and patience to make it work.

I ordered the screen replacement from ebay and watched a few videos on YouTube to get ready. The screen replacement costs about $15 at the time and the process took about 30 minutes. Along the way, every time I started to take something apart, i took pictures with my phone so I would be able to put everything back together with no problem.

Just my thoughts,

Chris
    FF22 likes this.
    05-06-13 08:13 AM