Hey everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this..

So I've had a Playbook since day one. I pre-ordered mine and received it on April 19th of last year. It is a 32 GB model and I LOVE it! Sadly I dropped it a couple of day ago on the tile floor of my bathroom and it landed straight on a corner. The screen shattered in that corner, with spider web cracks spreading out from that corner across much of the screen. Also the corner of the metal frame around the screen was bent.

I called Playbook Support and they told me initially it would be somewhere around $250 to get the screen fixed. That, of course, is the cost for which I could get a brand new 32GB Playbook on RIM's own website right now.

So anyway, I reached out to a few friends I have at RIM and they were kind enough to repay my constant Playbook advocacy on Twitter by sending me a new Playbook. Sweet!

The problem is they sent me a 16GB unit, and I really need the 32GB of space. I have moved to the Playbook as my primary computing device and it serves many functions including work device with BT keyboard and gaming device, etc.. My 32GB device is working with the broken screen and I can see that I only have about 7GB free on the old device, so living with only 16GB of space is definitely going to be limiting.

So my question for you Crackberry gurus is whether anyone has any idea if the screen hardware has changed since the original Playbook came out? I feel quite comfortable with the hardware swap if I just had some idea that the devices are compatible and I'm not going to fry anything buy trying to put the screen from my relatively new 16GB unit into the body of my original 32GB unit. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

Would it make more sense to swap the motherboard from the 32GB unit into the 16GB unit? Will that work? What do you guys think? I've found some hardware take down videos online and the disassembly looks pretty simple..

Thanks again for taking the time to read this. Any and all input is welcome!

Mojoski (aka @MrSimmonsSr)
    06-05-12 05:01 PM
    Yes, from personal experience, you can just transplant the screen from another playbook to your broken one.
    06-05-12 05:25 PM
    Sorry about the accident and you have some good friends. There are videos showing the dissection of the pb which should help. And not having to "peel" the screen from the underlying frame should make it easier from what I've read.
    06-05-12 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD