Dear Crackberry Members,

I've been having this issue with my Playbook since I bought it back in May and haven't seen anyone talking about it yet in the forums so thought let me see if I'm the only unlucky one out there with this issue.

Whenever I try to use my Playbook while its plugged in for charging the screen goes all over the place whether its true the normal charger or USB connected to a PC.
    What I mean with this is whenever you for example try to touch the screen for selecting a application, text, URL or just entering a password the screen doesn't focus on where you're finger is, it instead starts to go up and down while your finger is still in one place.
    When you try to type a mail or password it suddenly sellects 4 to 5 different letters or figures at the same time while you only tapped 1 and released the screen.
    The moment you remove the USB connector the screen focuses again and everything goes back to normal.

I have gone through all the OS releases several times ( re-installing several times ), re-setting, hard rebooting all of the possible solutions hoping this was a bug or and issue that would be solved or so, but have yet to find a solution for it.

Hope this is a known issue and RIM identifies and comes up with a solution as I dont think this is the way it should work and I am not handing in my PB as its now part of my life and daily routine.
    Is there anyone out there who identifies this and has the same issue.
    07-29-11 05:01 AM
    that happens with me only when using a BlackBerry Torch Smartphone or a BlackBerry Torch Smartphone USB.

but the charger and USB came with the PlayBook works fine. So verify that your charger and USB are the original ones usable by PlayBook.
    07-29-11 06:15 AM
    Well that's a nice way of helping people with their questions...

Rasta, I agree, it shouldn't do that, try to get a RMA from RIM because it is definitely not normal...
    @ PsyCorps, will try to phone RIM 90 Support today and hope they can Help as I purchased my PB in the Netherlands and in South Africa for business and will still be here for another month.
    07-29-11 06:26 AM
    that happens with me only when using a BlackBerry Torch Smartphone or a BlackBerry Torch Smartphone USB.

but the charger and USB came with the PlayBook works fine. So verify that your charger and USB are the original ones usable by PlayBook.
    @M.Rizk, didnt think of that yet, my USB charger is still packed so never used it so might be possible........... im sure that USB charging takes longer then the Torch wall charger hey as the wall socket provides more Amps then the USB??? or am I wrong?
    07-29-11 06:30 AM
    My PB would go crazy when plugged in the wall outlet. There has been a couple people with the same problem. The answer for me was to charge from a differrent outlet. Since your having the same problem with the wall and usb charger maybe try charging in a differrent location. Could be a problem with the wiring in your house. If charging in a different place doesn't help then its probably a bad connection inside the playbook causing some kind of electrical "interference".

I was charging mime in the same place as all my other devices. I could make the PB go nuts just by moving it closer to the outlet while plugged in. Good luck.

The torch charger will take about twice as long to charge as the one that came with the PB. The USB charging rate is dependent on the cable and the output of the computer. If your not using the charger that came with the PB I would start there. If you can fine a rapid charger that uses the port next to the Micro USB that might work if the problem is with your PB.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 07-29-11 at 07:01 AM.
    07-29-11 06:49 AM
    I had the same problem. However i just purchased the rapid charger which uses the magnetic connector and now i have no problem. Not much help i know but at least it is a solution.
    07-29-11 07:26 AM
    do an RMA, I've been having this issue for months, called in did all the steps with RIM which seemed to calm down the issue. I could tell you what they are. message me
    07-29-11 07:39 AM
    do an RMA, I've been having this issue for months, called in did all the steps with RIM which seemed to calm down the issue. I could tell you what they are. message me
    Would you mind sharing with the masses?
    07-29-11 07:57 AM
    @M.Rizk, didnt think of that yet, my USB charger is still packed so never used it so might be possible........... im sure that USB charging takes longer then the Torch wall charger hey as the wall socket provides more Amps then the USB??? or am I wrong?

I have noticed the USB is the slowest, Wall Charger in between, and Car Chargers are the best.

However the Torch products/cables don't work fine with the PlayBook according to my experience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-11 08:56 AM
    Ya I was having this problem too...I just tried with the PlayBook charger supplied instead of my Bold Charger and it seems to work fine...should of guessed that one...but I'm still gonna use my bold charger because i'm in australia and don't want to lug around an adaptor with me
    07-29-11 09:20 AM
    Ya I was having this problem too...I just tried with the PlayBook charger supplied instead of my Bold Charger and it seems to work fine...should of guessed that one...but I'm still gonna use my bold charger because i'm in australia and don't want to lug around an adaptor with me
    No no no no no no, save your PlayBook life by using it's original charger, no one knows what can the other devices' chargers do on the PlayBook.

07-29-11 09:26 AM
    What you need to know is that the touchscreen works by leveraging the conductivity of your fingers.
    I had the same problem with mine. It would even do gestures will I wasn't touching the screen and after I unplugged it! I thought my PlayBook was broken until I started having the same problem with my Macbook Pro's touchpad when it charging. That's when I figured that the problem wasn't with my devices. I changed my cheapo 2$ powerbar with a high-quality one and that fixed it.

It didn't fix it immediately though... it's like there still was some weird electricity still stuck on the device... So if you try a different plug and you get the same problem, be patient and let it do a full charging cycle.
    07-29-11 09:36 AM
    My PB would go crazy when plugged in the wall outlet. There has been a couple people with the same problem. The answer for me was to charge from a differrent outlet. Since your having the same problem with the wall and usb charger maybe try charging in a differrent location. Could be a problem with the wiring in your house. If charging in a different place doesn't help then its probably a bad connection inside the playbook causing some kind of electrical "interference".

I was charging mime in the same place as all my other devices. I could make the PB go nuts just by moving it closer to the outlet while plugged in. Good luck.

The torch charger will take about twice as long to charge as the one that came with the PB. The USB charging rate is dependent on the cable and the output of the computer. If your not using the charger that came with the PB I would start there. If you can fine a rapid charger that uses the port next to the Micro USB that might work if the problem is with your PB.
    Hey Chaddface, I will have to test this but would still be strange cause when I am at home ( Netherlands ) which has a power outlet of 240V I have the same problem as in South Africa which is 220V-240V and in both the countries I have the same issue. do you think it would make a difference that 20V
    07-29-11 10:14 AM
    OK I already went out and bought a Car charger since I read in another thread that these have a higher charge voltage and charges your PB much quicker and M.Rizk's suggestion to do so.
    I didn't stop there, also ordered a Rapid charger not the dock but the one that uses your magnetic connector as instructed by spike007.

When I get home from the office today I will try to use another wall outlet since I AM using a powerbar where I am charging my PB next to my bed, so might also provide a solution.

Once I have tested this I will most def. let you guys know whats happening
    07-29-11 10:26 AM
    Did you try wiping it before installing the OS? Almost seems more like a hardware problem with the touchscreen though...
    07-29-11 10:59 AM
    Did you try wiping it before installing the OS? Almost seems more like a hardware problem with the touchscreen though...
    blackjack93117 I already tried 3 security wipes without restores as I thought maybe if I restored I would also restore the corrupted settings.
    07-29-11 11:15 AM
    If you think you ever have an issue with the OS. My advice do a Fresh Re-Install from the BlackBerry Desktop Manager better than doing a wipe based on the current software.

TIP: the Re-install of OS will waste about 1.6 GB of your Internet Bandwidth.

07-29-11 12:11 PM
    OK I already went out and bought a Car charger since I read in another thread that these have a higher charge voltage and charges your PB much quicker and M.Rizk's suggestion to do so.
    I didn't stop there, also ordered a Rapid charger not the dock but the one that uses your magnetic connector as instructed by spike007.

When I get home from the office today I will try to use another wall outlet since I AM using a powerbar where I am charging my PB next to my bed, so might also provide a solution.

Once I have tested this I will most def. let you guys know whats happening
    And as an extra explaination, someone about a week ago explained why the Car charges faster than our homes.
    Because our homes get A.C Electricity from the Power Companies while most of our devices use D.C Electricity other than Air Condition, so our PlayBook has to convert A.C to D.C first which costs a little time more.

While Cars provide the PlayBook directly with D.C

07-29-11 12:15 PM
    And as an extra explaination, someone about a week ago explained why the Car charges faster than our homes.
    Because our homes get A.C Electricity from the Power Companies while most of our devices use D.C Electricity other than Air Condition, so our PlayBook has to convert A.C to D.C first which costs a little time more.

While Cars provide the PlayBook directly with D.C

The charger does the converting not the playbook. Most household devices use ac current. The conversion process does not take any time. Its all about the output of charger. look on the back of the charger to see the output. Torch charger puts out 700ma while the stock PB charger is 1.8a. 1000 ma in 1 amp. So the PB charger puts out more then twice as much as the torch charger.
    07-29-11 01:00 PM
    What you need to know is that the touchscreen works by leveraging the conductivity of your fingers.
    I had the same problem with mine. It would even do gestures will I wasn't touching the screen and after I unplugged it! I thought my PlayBook was broken until I started having the same problem with my Macbook Pro's touchpad when it charging. That's when I figured that the problem wasn't with my devices. I changed my cheapo 2$ powerbar with a high-quality one and that fixed it.

It didn't fix it immediately though... it's like there still was some weird electricity still stuck on the device... So if you try a different plug and you get the same problem, be patient and let it do a full charging cycle.
    Do you think it is possible to use the PlayBook charger for the BlackBerry Torch?

07-29-11 01:03 PM
    Do you think it is possible to use the PlayBook charger for the BlackBerry Torch?

It's possible. I have done it a few times for a quick charge. The torch battery seems to die a little faster though. Might be my imagination. I dont know if its good for the longevity of the battery.
    07-29-11 01:07 PM
    ok i just took a drive home from the office which is a 15 minutes drive, I plugged the PB with a battery percentage of 83%.

when i arrived @ home the percentage was at 100% so the car charger story is true..... it charged +17% in 15 minutes cause if been using it for a while now and at the moment its still at 100%. Thanks for that tip M.Rizk ( thumbs up )
    07-29-11 01:15 PM
    It's possible. I have done it a few times for a quick charge. The torch battery seems to die a little faster though. Might be my imagination. I dont know if its good for the longevity of the battery.
    Thanks anyway for letting me know.

ok i just took a drive home from the office which is a 15 minutes drive, I plugged the PB with a battery percentage of 83%.

when i arrived @ home the percentage was at 100% so the car charger story is true..... it charged +17% in 15 minutes cause if been using it for a while now and at the moment its still at 100%. Thanks for that tip M.Rizk ( thumbs up )
    Your more than welcomed

Rasta-j likes this.
    07-29-11 01:25 PM
    What is the output of the car charger? Should be on the package or the charger itself. Did you have the same issues when charging from the car?
    07-29-11 01:29 PM
    I remember having similar issues - can't remember if when I was charging only or when connected to my computer and Blackberry Desktop Manager. Anyway, the screen was not responding and 'going nuts' as the OP said. Since everything else was and is working great on my PB, I decided to just do what el-Jobso advised and "Don't hold it that way" lol.

From then on when on a charger or syncing I just left it alone.

And we both lived happily ever after.

The end
    07-29-11 01:35 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD