Well I rebricked my playbook last night, seemed to be fine, then put it on the charger overnight and viola, the issue re appeared. So I'm led to believe that it is in fact a hardware issue. Now I need to find RIM's contact number so I can get this figured out...
    11-09-12 06:56 AM
    I have some of the numbers here :
    Canada : 1-877-644-8405
    USA : 1-877-644-8410
    UK : 0-800-096-2805
    11-09-12 07:03 AM
    In my case, there is no doubt that it must be shipped back and that it's hardware :
    The problem has been steadily increasing in frequency, and whereas I could simply turn the screen off and back on one or two times to get the normal display, for the last few days I could not get it to work at all mostly, even after trying dozens of times. The screen will only show vertical grey and black bars.
    After I reinstalled the os, within 24 hours it was back to that state: I haven't been able to use the tablet at all since yesterday.

The box arrived so I'll be shipping it asap.
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 11-09-12 at 07:31 AM.
    11-09-12 07:14 AM
    Thanks,

And ya, when it first started happening a few months ago, I didn't think to much of it, but now it's frequent and i'm getting those vertical grey and black bars as well... When did you purchase your playbook? Mine was bought April 2011 on launch day
    11-09-12 07:22 AM
    May 28th, this year.
    11-09-12 07:32 AM
    hmm, so it's not a batch thing i would suspect.

Called the tech number, and because my playbook is over 1.5yrs old, they want me to do a software reload... WTF... the tech guy said that he has come across this a few times and said a software reload could fix the issue. I told him what I have done this week, and he is insisting on doing a reload. Good grief lol
    11-09-12 12:08 PM
    I'm not sure what a software reload is, but I know they explained that they had to make me go through some steps before they could tell me to ship it back to them. The way they explained, it was a protocol they had to follow.

And by the way, I've been meaning to ask: When you guys say "debrick", you do mean reformat, right ?
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 11-11-12 at 09:56 PM.
    11-09-12 02:05 PM
    And so it's back and it looks good so far !
    No bug yet, but only a little use over time will tell if the problem is definitely gone.

I'm not exactly sure if it was repaired or exchanged. The serial number is the same and all, but a few things seem different. The red button seems more sunken than it used to be. Especially, there used to be a little bulge on the back of the tablet which isn't there anymore. Also, there was a speck of dust stuck behind the back camera's glass, which isn't there anymore either.
    Either way, as long as it works...

Otherwise, I can say the service was impressive :
    -I called RIM about the problem last Wednesday. After a little time on the phone where I had to reformat, I was told a box would be shipped to me.
    -The box arrived the next day, and I arranged for pick up on Monday of this week.
    -The box arrived in Lavergne, Tennessee on Tuesday, and by Wednesday RIM's tracking website informed me that it had been tested and had been sent for repairs.
    -And now, Friday, it's back.

So, all in all, I only had to endure a week having to sit on the bus without my e-newspapers, and especially having to go to the toilet without Internet... (After contemplating moving my pc to the bathroom, I ended up starting to read books again. So I guess there was a positive aspect to all this. )

thanks to everyone who offered advice. And good luck to others who have similar problems.
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 11-16-12 at 11:13 AM.
    FF22 and 00stryder like this.
    11-16-12 10:35 AM
    Just figured out : They didn't exchange it. I reinstalled Battery Guru, and my recharge count and battery health are as they were.

Now I'm wondering what happened to the bulge in the back. Maybe they took the occasion to fix it.
    11-16-12 03:47 PM
    Now I'm wondering what happened to the bulge in the back. Maybe they took the occasion to fix it.
    I am intrigued by this as well, I wonder what caused the bulge in the first place? Sucks that your power button is now one of the "sunken" ones (mine is/was like that, kinda annoying especially with this display issue).

The RIM website says mine's been sent out for delivery today so I should get it on Monday, after they received it on Wednesday. Mine also went to the La Vergne, TN center too, but I'm in neighboring Nashville so I wasn't expecting it to be there long!
    11-16-12 10:38 PM
    I am intrigued by this as well, I wonder what caused the bulge in the first place? Sucks that your power button is now one of the "sunken" ones (mine is/was like that, kinda annoying especially with this display issue).
    I don't know for the bulge. Mine was slightly annoying (did I just say that my bulge was annoying ?...): It made that the tablet didn't rest completely flat on a table (now it does). But I've read of people who just couldn't use their PB other than by holding it in their hands because it bulged so bad.
    I also read, in a thread here, of a guy who pushed it back in by using hot air...

One thing I didn't mention is there was a plastic cover on the BB logo on the back. I don't know if it means they worked on that part. All I know is it's gone.

As for the sunken button, I know I used it repeatedly, trying to get the screen to function normally, before shipping it in. So I may be responsible.
    Still, a good design should not let this happen. It feels as if the button is resting on some foam, which ends up losing its elasticity or something.

Anyways, I hope your tablet comes back fully functioning, as mine did.
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 11-18-12 at 04:45 PM.
    11-17-12 07:15 PM
    Same issues, called RIM, had me reload OS etc. I knew it wouldn't help but did it anyway to get on with the process. Three days later I had a fully functioning device in my hands. Whatever the problem is, they addressed as quickly as I could have hoped for - and I didn't have any receipts and didn't know where it was purchased - was a Christmas gift last year. All in all, very happy with the response.
    11-18-12 04:40 PM
    I experienced the inverted colours upon waking from standby maybe starting 2-3 months ago, but it was infrequent and easily reversed with pressing the power button. After a minor update about 2 weeks ago, I've been getting the gray screen with vertical gray and black bars from getting out of standby, sometimes reversible by pressing the power button once or twice, sometimes I have to restart the device. Sometimes after restarting the device, I still get the vertical bars and I need to attempt to restart it AGAIN. It's driving me insane.

I've been thinking it might be a loose connector or something because I tend to toss the bag the PB is in, and it may have hit a few hard surfaces (or a lot)... but if these issues are not mine alone, I'm far more concerned.

I need my PB for school everyday, and this has been such an inconvenience for me. I don't remember when I bought it, nor do I have a receipt. Had bought it from a friend of a friend who works/worked at RIM.
    11-22-12 10:58 PM
    Peritaxis - generally Rim can tell when it first went online and can figure out a starting date. They have generally not required any paperwork so you can try and contact them. They will then let you know - I'm sure, whether or not covered.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    11-23-12 12:04 AM
    I am having exactly the same inverted color problems. Indeed this is NOT the 1st time...but the 2nd time on my replaced unit. Unfortunately, my warranty has expired already by now, since the warranty was counted from the first purchase.

It's also a pity that when I called them, they still say this is a problem they have NEVER come across before...

Now the only recommendation they have is reload the OS. Will it has any slight chance that it may fix the problem?

I feel it could be related to some charging issues. As my PlayBook occasionally refused to charge until a reboot...
    03-19-13 12:16 AM
    You can try the various resets/restarts/reboots and then reloading the OS. It does tend to sound like a hardware problem but it is possible some program throws the screen off.

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    asiayeah likes this.
    03-19-13 09:06 AM
    I find very classless that they would deny the problem when many people have reported having it fixed, like me.

I had the same experience with Asus once, who wouldn't acknowledge a problem with a monitor I had, when a quick Google search would turn out dozens of people reporting exactly the same thing.

Times have changed, I guess : Now people are not only addicted to their gadgets, but they are used to the idea of seeing them become obsolete in no time. So the companies know that they can count on people buying their junk regardless...
    03-19-13 09:34 AM
    I find very classless that they would deny the problem when many people have reported having it fixed, like me.

I had the same experience with Asus once, who wouldn't acknowledge a problem with a monitor I had, when a quick Google search would turn out dozens of people reporting exactly the same thing.

Times have changed, I guess : Now people are not only addicted to their gadgets, but they are used to the idea of seeing them become obsolete in no time. So the companies know that they can count on people buying their junk regardless...
    Yes, sometimes I am not sure if they really don't know (due to the out-sourced tech support) or they are professionally trained to always say that. For me, this is the 2nd time the same issue happen on me. But don't get me wrong, I still like my PlayBook. Actually I own 2...so I am holding on tight to my 2nd working PlayBook now (which is a gift from BB).

The worse is PlayBook support has pretty much gone...I can't even buy a new one locally nor I can find a local shop to fix it...
    03-19-13 09:55 PM
    Any new useful feedback on the issue?
    I am getting the same problem here. I am living in China and bought the playbook second hand last year, therefore no warranty help for me. I just wish it is a software issue, the problem has suddendly appeared this month and the frequency accelerated dramatically. I was waiting so impatiently for the BB10 upgrade. By the way, I cannot debrick anymore with Desktop manager, it is always saying the tablet is updated and no new os is available.
    If it is a hardware issue, I will be so disappointed with the quality build of the playbook. I use it very carefully and never dropped it.
    03-30-13 01:51 AM
    All these little bugs, what about THe big bug at the top....(T)He don't give a damn of all our loyalty for years, with no consumers or lack of companies fold, admin, and we are all at the mercy of Microsoft who will become a DANGER to our very survival.

Das is nicht gut......
    03-30-13 04:10 AM
    khampasong,

If it were a software issue, then re-installing the OS would solve it. You should try that and see if it comes back.
    For me, and for everybody else who's described the same problem here that I've seen, it definitely turned out to be hardware and needed a screen replacement. Sorry.
    03-30-13 12:26 PM
    Found this thread and nice to see I'm not alone. My unit is 2 years old so calling BB now is of no use. Good information here. I did a security wipe just to do a security wipe as I wanted to clean things up. These negative images and dark screens with vertical lines never happened until I did this. Perhaps it is the restoring of the device info. I may try to do another and wait a few days before I restore it.
    03-06-14 09:35 PM
    Found this thread and nice to see I'm not alone. My unit is 2 years old so calling BB now is of no use. Good information here. I did a security wipe just to do a security wipe as I wanted to clean things up. These negative images and dark screens with vertical lines never happened until I did this. Perhaps it is the restoring of the device info. I may try to do another and wait a few days before I restore it.
    I hope it's fine but it sounds like a hardware problem. I got my PlayBook exchanged and the issue is gone (for now).

If the issue is there, you may still use your PlayBook via HDMI to an external display.
    03-10-14 08:28 PM
    Calling BlackBerry is NEVER of no use.

Call support. Tell your tale. See what they can do.

Of did ya' miss the part I said I was not on warranty (although it could have been in another thread - this is ONE OLD tale you dug up).
    03-10-14 10:13 PM
49 12