For those of you with more than one PlayBook, do the screens look the same when they're side-by-side? I ask because I happened to have both of my PlayBooks on the Gmail homepage, and I noticed that the colors on my 16GB are more vivid & bright compared to my 64GB PlayBook (the brightness is at max on both). I assume that they were manufactured using the same parts, so I'm curious as to why this is.

I had taken a screenshot on each device, but when I viewed them on my laptop they looked exactly the same, so I assume it's the screen itself. It's hard to describe, but it's the same type of effect as when dust gradually builds up on my laptop screen--colors appear 'duller' than normal, but as soon as the screen is cleaned, the colors once more become vivid & bright.

The average person probably wouldn't think it's a big deal, but I'm kind of stickler for these things. When viewed by itself, it's not as noticeable, but there's definitely a difference when it's right next to my 16GB when they're both viewing the same thing--such as a page with a white background (ie; the Gmail homepage) or a light gray background (ie; like Airplane Mode under Options). I'm thinking about calling RIM, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks for your help, guys. Take care.
    12-13-11 06:42 PM
    thats a good question im wondering if the resolution took a hit because of the extra memory? but im just a noob who has become increasingly curious since ive joined crackberry
    12-13-11 08:50 PM
    It may simply be a matter of the screens being from a different manufacturer or even just a different batch. It's not uncommon for ODMs to use multiple sources for parts.

Sent using Tapatalk
    12-13-11 09:00 PM
    Well I have two 16gb in front of me and they look pretty much the same. But I suppose that doesn't help you since I don't have a 64gb to compare with.
    I wonder if anyone else can give some input. Would be interesting to know.
    12-13-11 09:05 PM
    There is a big variation on LCDs on RIM's phones. I doubt it has anything to do with the memory.
    12-13-11 09:16 PM
    I'm rather unimpressed with the display on my 16GB model. Some stuck pixels on it that drive me nuts but not enough to go out and quickly replace it.

Colors are good and bright though.
    12-13-11 10:19 PM
    This is because RIM uses a variety of suppliers as a source for its PB display panels. Most manufacturers do. I've seen this in iPods/iPhones... I've seen it in Touchpads just recently.

It's not a defect, it's just a variance in manufacturing. Some display panels may be calibrated for a "cooler" color temp (making them seem more white/bright), etc...
    12-14-11 12:15 AM
    can you post a picture?
    12-14-11 12:30 AM
    It's not a defect, it's just a variance in manufacturing. Some display panels may be calibrated for a "cooler" color temp (making them seem more white/bright), etc...
    LCD TVs can be recalibrated, no? Wonder if it can be done with PBs?
    12-14-11 01:35 AM
    LCD TVs can be recalibrated, no? Wonder if it can be done with PBs?
    Doubt it. Screen characteristics might be controlled by firmware, but unlikely there's any way to change it. You could call RIM, though; stranger things have happened.
    12-14-11 01:43 AM
    I get my pb next week and I'm praying for a nice one with no stuck pixels/yellowish-dull display!
    12-14-11 05:40 AM
    I made a similar thread regarding my two playbooks a little while back:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...estion-674152/

"I purchased a 16gb playbook off amazon about a month and a half ago...my wife stole it from me. She loves it, does not put it down very often. I got myself a used 32gb on Ebay...I love it, and hardly put it down. Have not had any issues with either one. Wifi is great, bridge is wonderful, both battery's work great, updated both to the latest OS with no problems at all and did not even have to backup any apps like I though we would. I did a backup on them both just to be safe and that went without a hitch too (just didnt need to use the backups to restore them which was a nice surprise!). So 2 more people here that have no problems or issues...we fraykin love our playbooks

I do have one question though...does anyone know if they changed the screens on the playbooks recently? I noticed that our new 16gb screen is different than my older 32gb screen that the prior user purchased when they first released them to the public. There is no damage to either screen...and they both look the same when turned on...but when they are both off you can see that they have a different coloration tint to them. Mine has a teeny touch of a purple'ish tint, and the newer one has a mostly grey tint. I noticed this just the other night and thought it was odd. I dont have both with me to take and post a picture, and I dont know if it would even show up in a picture...but when I get a chance I will try to snap some if nobody knows why there is a slight difference between the screen on the newer playbook and the older one. Hopefully someone does though"

Never got a definitive answer, but I am guessing it is what most said in that they probably came from two different suppliers.
    12-14-11 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD