I finally got my playbook working and just like my first one I still love it. This time though I'm stuck with a 16gb playbook instead of a 32gb one, and I was wondering what the best codec settings I could use to convert my videos so that I save as much space as possible.

Basically what I'm looking for is settings that will cut my videos' resolution to 512xwhatever based on aspect ratio with picture quality that won't be TOO much blocky (I can handle some blockiness, but I must avoid the kind of smearing that happens when videos are encoded at too low a bitrate).
    08-06-14 01:29 PM
    I'm assuming you want a video converting software, or do you already have one? I've used a program for Windows called Freemake and convert all of the AVI's to MP4's which does reduce the size somewhat, but again depending on the video. Another one is Handbrake. It reduces the size of the video a bit, but I'm not sure about which codec these are using.

Another way to do it is to purchase an app called WatchMore. It was available in the Blackberry World and is for the Playbook. It does an awesome job for those videos that just won't open on the Playbook.
    08-06-14 01:57 PM
    I'm assuming you want a video converting software, or do you already have one? I've used a program for Windows called Freemake and convert all of the AVI's to MP4's which does reduce the size somewhat, but again depending on the video. Another one is Handbrake. It reduces the size of the video a bit, but I'm not sure about which codec these are using.

Another way to do it is to purchase an app called WatchMore. It was available in the Blackberry World and is for the Playbook. It does an awesome job for those videos that just won't open on the Playbook.
    I'm more of a manual kinda guy. freemake is fine for simple conversion but what I want to do requires more advanced settings. Usually for my encoding I use Super since it's simple enough for me to understand and complex enough that I have all the settings I need in one window.
    08-07-14 12:07 AM
    Playbook supports mp4, can't recall about audio codecs but kalemsoft media player has thrown everything I've tried at it which the stock player cannot - (mainly big mpeg2's from my freeview humax recorder)

The inbuilt media handling on playbook puts all android and ios tablets I've got to shame, add kalemsoft player and it will play freeview hd recording which the ipad4. Cannot as apple don't allow hardware decoding for that format! I think the air struggles too at this and if it did manage it then the cpu would be using a lot of power unlike playbook :-)

Regards

Damian
    08-10-14 03:09 AM
    You can try Aimersoft Video Converter, (paid), and it all the control you could want, various presets for the different phones and tablets, and yes, the Praybook. And you can go and tweak all the settings you want to get the size/res. you need/want.

c

c
    08-11-14 09:42 AM