i wouldn't bank on "doubt its a sign of the PB dying", considering it would be almost a 3 year old device when BB10 goes to PB, if it ever goes there...

Also, isn't the PB a discontinued device? they sold it at a discount so they can get rid of it.

The safe bet is them making a new device if BB10 sells well. they won't throw too much cash on an old device. probably will make a PB2 or something.
    Only the 16gig device is discontinued
    09-26-12 10:53 AM
    BB10 Apps can be submitted immediately. They don't all wait until the deadline to submit. I suspect they will be submitting their apps to RIM to cash in on the $10K asap, if they meet the criteria..
    Appworld will have plenty of apps ready before Jan 21st.
    Since the $10K bonus is based on 12 months of App World sales---which will presumably begin on the date BB10 is released---there's zero incentive to submit an app prior to the Jan 21 deadline. Waiting until then provides extra time to fix bugs and provide the necessary polish to ensure that your fart app gets to $1000 first.
    09-26-12 11:43 AM
    Since the $10K bonus is based on 12 months of App World sales---which will presumably begin on the date BB10 is released---there's zero incentive to submit an app prior to the Jan 21 deadline. Waiting until then provides extra time to fix bugs and provide the necessary polish to ensure that your fart app gets to $1000 first.
    OK, fair enough. I'm not sure if the 12months begins from when they submit and get approved or upon the launch of BB10 and direct downloads through AppWorld. Likely the later.

However, you also said
    January 21 is the date devs have to submit their BB10 apps. No way BB10 can launch on that same date.
    I am suggesting that there will be plenty of apps (BB and Droid) available before the 21st. Do I think that this means RIM will launch their BB10 device(s) on the 21st? No I do not.
    They probably could if the device is ready. Apps won't be the cause for holding back the date.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    09-26-12 12:14 PM
    The secrets out: Their all leaving RIM to work for Apple. IOS 6 just hit ...RIM.... Where are you?
    Probably to fix the map app issue!
    bungaboy, Toodeurep and q649 like this.
    09-26-12 12:27 PM
    Reread the thread and I'm still wondering - what was the secret? Or did that get pulled too? Or did RIM really not say it so once again "rumor and speculation" take the blame. All I got was a date for apps to be submitted. Anyone?
    FF22, Sysgen, antiRIM and 1 others like this.
    09-26-12 12:47 PM
    RIM's criteria is geared towards quality applications; I highly doubt that "fart apps" will reach, meet, or exceed, RIM's criteria.
    09-26-12 01:53 PM
    While no one knows when BB10 will make it to the PB, I think three years is a bit of an exaggeration.
    my fault. got the timeline mixed up. still doesn't make it any better. it is over 2 years then. still a lifetime for technology now a day.
    09-26-12 01:58 PM
    RIM's criteria is geared towards quality applications; I highly doubt that "fart apps" will reach, meet, or exceed, RIM's criteria.
    It was meant as a joke, as I highly doubt any fart app would reach, meet, or exceed $1000 in earnings.
    09-26-12 04:19 PM
    Rim focus' on quality apps? Since when? Did you see the hundred of public domain ebooks they approved at a buck a pop to inflate the playbook app numbers?
    09-26-12 05:59 PM
    Rim focus' on quality apps? Since when? Did you see the hundred of public domain ebooks they approved at a buck a pop to inflate the playbook app numbers?
    Not to mention The Photo editing apps from $3-$6 that are just links to Pixlr or Sumo. And don't get me started on Google maps apps.
    09-26-12 09:45 PM
    Well I think something big is coming look at this tweet ..
    The secrets should be that RIM has officially caught up to Android and Apple.....
    ...In RIM's ability to consume popular media.
    ...Which means Skype & Netflix.

If that takes place it's time to snag a couple more Playbooks at the price they are selling for now....
    ...Because if THAT's the news they will be gone in short order!
    09-26-12 09:55 PM
    I think you need to double check your Android history. It was started in 2003 with assistance from Google by Android Inc, purchased outright by Google in 2005. The first phone came out in 2008, but Android has been in development for 9 years.
    Also, iOS was released without features like copy and paste, mms, JavaScript/flash support, a camera flash, security, exchange support, push email, multitasking, and many more basic functions. In fact, many of those features didn't come until iOS 3 and 4. Still to this day it doesn't have real multitasking or real tab support in the browser (I can have multiple tabs open, but when I jump back and forth between them, the tabs have to reload).

If RIM released BB10 like that, they would be crucified. After 2 years of working on iOS and Android, Apple's and Google's OSes were no where near as complete as BB10 is right now.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    09-26-12 10:48 PM
    my fault. got the timeline mixed up. still doesn't make it any better. it is over 2 years then. still a lifetime for technology now a day.
    Dude, it's been a year and a half. The PlayBook was released after the iPad 2. It was May 19th ( I think) of last year. That's actually a year and 4 months, less than a year and a half. You originally said 3 years??
    pcguy514 likes this.
    09-26-12 10:54 PM
    I would suggest that RIM's focus on quality apps has been since the last year with the advent of the BBJam sessions; the dedicated teams to help developers; the increase in better and more robust quality tools for developers to create apps; and an overall refocusing/reaching out to the developer community.

I will not argue that there was a whole slew of garbage apps for the Playbook; including the public domain ebooks that flooded, and continues to flood, the Playbook. But my interpretation of what we saw during their keynote address the other day; and the comments from developers via twitter regarding BB10, is that there are significant number of developers who are striving to produce quality applications - and with RIM's increased support, along with the 10k incensitive, are going to be successful in doing that.

As to this ebook developer specifically? There is no way that the following are going to be met:

1). Vendors must read and agree to the 10k Developer Commitment Terms and Conditions (https://developer.blackberry.com/bui.../10kterms.html)

2) Vendors are invited to submit multiple apps for the Built for BlackBerry designation but there is a limit of one (1) payout per Vendor.

3) Apps must remain available for sale on BlackBerry App World with the Built for BlackBerry�.

4) For vendors with multiple Built for BlackBerry apps, the app that becomes eligible for the 10k Developer Commitment is the one that earns $1,000 USD first.

5) Apps must have at least 100 unique downloads over the 12 month period.

6) The 10k Developer Commitment is a limited-funds offer and will continue only until the $10 million fund pool is exhausted. Funds will be distributed in order of priority based on the date upon which they reached $1,000 USD in earnings�

7) Apps funded by RIM are not eligible for the 10k Developer Commitment.

I know it's easy to be cynical, derogatory and negative towards RIM - I have given my fair share and voice my displeasure with RIM a number of times on these forums - but in this instance, judging from the comments from developers, I think things will be different - I do think that BB10 will have substantially more quality apps than have ever been available to us in the past. And RIM's 10k support has been a brilliant move to jump start what has been, arguably, their greatest weakness.
    09-27-12 12:34 AM
    Could the secret be that if it all goes bad, Alec Saunders has a budding career as a pop-star already lined-up?
    loth likes this.
    09-27-12 06:22 AM
    Could the secret be that if it all goes bad, Alec Saunders has a budding career as a pop-star already lined-up?
    I'm pretty sure that Alec Saunders could get another job in about 2 seconds flat.
    draoicht likes this.
    09-27-12 06:27 AM

I will not argue that there was a whole slew of garbage apps for the Playbook; including the public domain ebooks that flooded, and continues to flood, the Playbook. ...

As to this ebook developer specifically? There is no way that the following are going to be met:

[...list of criteria follows]

I know it's easy to be cynical, derogatory and negative towards RIM - I have given my fair share and voice my displeasure with RIM a number of times on these forums - but in this instance, judging from the comments from developers, I think things will be different
    It would take 5 minutes for RIM to get those bloody ebooks off appworld or at least relegated to the ebook category. Has it done so? No. If you try to browse "Recent Arrivals", the sheer numbers of crappy ebooks listed make it extremely difficult to find out what new, real apps have been released. If I were a REAL developer, I'd be pissed off that my new app was buried under a pile of ebooks.

A while back, RIM gave a free Playbook to anyone submitting an app. This brought more garbage into App World.

RIM's nickle and dime campaigns are not bringing in the kind of apps people want: a working and free public transit app for major cities; apps for all major banks; apps for major newspapers; apps for major online stores, etc., etc. RIM has to work harder to get major businesses on board by providing the developmental services required to create these businesses' apps. This would create revenue for bothe RIM and the businesses plus add value to Playbook owners.
    09-27-12 11:21 AM
    It would take 5 minutes for RIM to get those bloody ebooks off appworld or at least relegated to the ebook category.

RIM's nickle and dime campaigns are not bringing in the kind of apps people want: a working and free public transit app for major cities; apps for all major banks; apps for major newspapers; apps for major online stores, etc., etc. RIM has to work harder to get major businesses on board by providing the developmental services required to create these businesses' apps. This would create revenue for bothe RIM and the businesses plus add value to Playbook owners.
    I agree that the book Apps make it pretty difficult finding new apps.

In regards to the other apps you mention, do the web sites of these companies not work in the browser? I don't think I have found a web site recently that doesn't work with the browser, just like they work on my desktop.

edit:

Just tried the Toronto Transit site on my Mac (FireFox) and Playbook. The site looked identical on either machine.

http://www.ttc.ca/Routes/General_Inf...Maps/index.jsp
    Last edited by robsteve; 09-27-12 at 11:36 AM.
    09-27-12 11:29 AM
    Also, iOS was released without features like copy and paste, mms, JavaScript/flash support, a camera flash, security, exchange support, push email, multitasking, and many more basic functions. In fact, many of those features didn't come until iOS 3 and 4. Still to this day it doesn't have real multitasking or real tab support in the browser (I can have multiple tabs open, but when I jump back and forth between them, the tabs have to reload).

If RIM released BB10 like that, they would be crucified. After 2 years of working on iOS and Android, Apple's and Google's OSes were no where near as complete as BB10 is right now.
    agreed but that was 2007-2008 and we are at 2013 where expectations are different. Its just not the same.
    FF22 and Matt J like this.
    09-27-12 11:30 AM
    It would take 5 minutes for RIM to get those bloody ebooks off appworld or at least relegated to the ebook category. Has it done so? No. If you try to browse "Recent Arrivals", the sheer numbers of crappy ebooks listed make it extremely difficult to find out what new, real apps have been released. If I were a REAL developer, I'd be pissed off that my new app was buried under a pile of ebooks.

A while back, RIM gave a free Playbook to anyone submitting an app. This brought more garbage into App World.

I think you will see more major businesses with official apps jump onboard to BB10, and when that happens I think you will see some more major developers jump onboard too.

That isn't to say that I disagree with you. The two things I absolutely hate about PB apps are these ebooks and the Android apps. I know people disagree about the Android apps, but I freaking hate them. In my opinion, they look cheap and they perform cheaply (even on an Android device). All I want is for BB10 to get so many great apps that they can either put Android apps into it's own category so I never have to download them by mistake, or remove them completely. I would rather a separate category though, as I know people like them and use them. Or a big giant warning label would suffice too
    Mr Donut likes this.
    09-27-12 11:36 AM
    Is it tomorrow yet?
    09-27-12 01:45 PM
    I think you will see more major businesses with official apps jump onboard to BB10, and when that happens I think you will see some more major developers jump onboard too.

That isn't to say that I disagree with you. The two things I absolutely hate about PB apps are these ebooks and the Android apps. I know people disagree about the Android apps, but I freaking hate them. In my opinion, they look cheap and they perform cheaply (even on an Android device). All I want is for BB10 to get so many great apps that they can either put Android apps into it's own category so I never have to download them by mistake, or remove them completely. I would rather a separate category though, as I know people like them and use them. Or a big giant warning label would suffice too
    I agree about putting android apps in a separate category. I'm not too fond of the android apps either. It sucks having to wade through a bunch of crappy apps just to find one that you might want. I don't buy any apps, but i occasionally browse the app store to see what's new and i get so frustrated with seeing app after app of junk.
    09-27-12 01:50 PM
    Sorry to dig this up again. I read through the thread. Did I miss something?

It seems like this thread got derailed.

What is the revealed secret? Was it the BB10 demo video we saw on CB's landing page yesterday?
    09-27-12 08:20 PM
    As far as reading that tweet goes - I don't believe that there was a secret to announce. Just that the pre-briefings for staff & presenters were secret.

JM2C...

Barljo
    09-28-12 03:04 AM
    Did anyone else see the music clip Alec Saunders and the other VP's did? Maybe that was it.
    09-28-12 07:18 AM
101 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD