Forget about ads guys....Watch the new series "Newsroom"....Blackberry is all over the place!!!! I don't know what is a better way to marketing than this.

In one of the scene the guy even....... well you can watch it for yourself here :P

08-22-12 08:31 PM
    Have any of you actually seen the Note 10.1 doing multitasking? Sure, the ad portrays it great as it should but ya... it's not real multitasking, it's app suspension and a very poor implementation of it. James Franco can't fix that, lol.

Last time I posted link facts on Android not being able to truly multitask I was shot down as a fool. But that link came from androids website, the lies people tell just for a dollar.
    08-22-12 08:57 PM
    God here we go again with the my is bigger than your ..... No offence people but I like my , it works just fine for me and pleasure.

My PB is the same thing. I made my choice and I am happy with it. That and the fact that is dont have a large enough family for 3 PB, 2 iPads and 4 galaxy notes (or enough money to be frank.

To Rgionsmi

Out of curiosity, why keep the other if the note is so spot on???
    Here is the problem. The PlayBook clearly was intended to be made available to the masses. It never should have been sold outside the enterprise world until OS10 was ready. No real printing capabilities 18 months after release. Really? RIM should have paid a developer to make an app that could print with out a PC via WiFi as well as direct BlueTooth. This feature or lack there of is the main reason why my FOUR PlayBooks are NOT used in the field.

No real GPS app. Really folks?

I am sorry, the PlayBook was touted as a professional tool. Not a home based "toy". It has not been competitive as a professional tool, yet. For 199.00 ea (now 175.00 or less) I am willing to wait for OS10. We will see if RIM comes through on this.

If real apps do not show up by Feb 2013. Even a new PlayBook will be a though sell. RIM's $10,000 offer to developers should have been made available months ago.

Don't get me wrong. I love the PlayBook UI hence the reason I have four. Unfortunately it is not used for it's initial intentions yet.

Have the Nexus 7. This thing does everything I need it to do. Jelly Bean still sucks compared to PlayBook. The browser is only a bit faster, blank white space is no better than the dreaded checker board.

So here is hoping for a bright new year for PlayBook 2!
    08-22-12 09:00 PM
    Last time I posted link facts on Android not being able to truly multitask I was shot down as a fool. But that link came from androids website, the lies people tell just for a dollar.
    Lame. Android's multitasking abilities are weak and I say that as someone who uses Android often. But whatever. I'm also a person who believes folks should use what works best for them and not hate on others for doing so.
    08-22-12 09:07 PM
    Have any of you actually seen the Note 10.1 doing multitasking? Sure, the ad portrays it great as it should but ya... it's not real multitasking, it's app suspension and a very poor implementation of it. James Franco can't fix that, lol.

But I'm sure Spiderman could! And if not Spiderman, Clare Danes can fix anything for me
    08-22-12 10:34 PM
    Lame. Android's multitasking abilities are weak and I say that as someone who uses Android often. But whatever. I'm also a person who believes folks should use what works best for them and not hate on others for doing so.
    If the average customer can have a GPS navigation app running in the background, music playing over the speakers, a bittorent client downloading movies in the background while browsing the web over Chrome, what other implementation of 'multitasking' do they truly need?

99% of the people want to get back to exactly the same place they were in in a game, movie or web page if they jump to another app for a minute. Android delivers that for them.

The Galaxy Note 10.1 allows some specific apps to work side-by-side at the same time. That doesn't count as multi-tasking in your books?
    08-23-12 12:56 AM
    James Franco takes the role of Galaxy Note 10.1 spokesman | Internet & Media - CNET News

A funny ad showing actual uses for the tablet focusing on muti tasking. Should have been what BlackBerry did.
    A very sharp contrast here is to mention that BlackBerry imagines it's users to be 'more' hand-on with their devices rather than the devices be just an addition to their daily lives as shown in the commercial here.

BlackBerry has been very vocal in the past about them wanting their devices to be an extension of the user helping them constantly throughout the day with varying tasks from personal to business.

The typical usage of a BlackBerry user is not as graphic as shown in this Samsung commercial but much more streamlined and for most part in an office environment (not limited to your cubicle). Excessive multi-tasking can be taxing on the mind and also be intrusive with a clear mind thinking process. The need for wanting to use 'more' of what's given to us can simultaneously harm us in the real-world by actually using 'less' of what we need.

This Samsung commercial resembles the recently launched celebrity lifestyle commercials by Apple for the New iPad.
    anon(3460513) likes this.
    08-23-12 02:33 AM
    That was a great commercial in my opinion.
    08-23-12 02:53 AM
    That was a great commercial in my opinion.
    I do not agree. It's more of a look into the celebrity lifestyle. Not much focus on a product. If this was the only Ad I could see before purchasing the device, I would definitely be clueless about what the device is like, how it looks or feels, some simple specifications, how it performs a given task, etc.

As a conservative buyer, I would still be happier if they actually announced 'how many hours of HD video can be recorded' and 'real world battery usage', how the display and other hardware can be advantageous to me in today's time.

This ad is by Samsung or Android is not very clear and as a viewer I cannot judge if I am looking into buying a Samsung product offering Android or the other way round.

It misses a focal point.
    08-23-12 03:02 AM
    Well, looking at the feature list from earlier, I only see three things that I want:

Printing - I can print from my PB now, but I'd much prefer an API so that all apps can properly implement a print function. I wouldn't mind an included virtual PDF printer either

Side-By-Side Apps. Devs would have to put in a few extra minutes of work, but the dev tools already make it painless to develop for multiple resolutions. With the true multitasking power of BB10, this would be a fantastic addition. Sure, it's not a big deal for most people, but I would sure like to have it.

Saving the best for last -- a stylus. Every time I pickup my PlayBook to do anything other than light browsing or playing a game I find myself wishing for a stylus. Heck, I'd settle for that hybrid resistive/capacitive touchscreen that RIM patented a while back just to have *something* stylus-like. Anything but those useless fake-fat-finger styluses.

I'll take one for my phone as well I love the stylus.
    08-23-12 03:09 AM
    I do not agree. It's more of a look into the celebrity lifestyle. Not much focus on a product. If this was the only Ad I could see before purchasing the device, I would definitely be clueless about what the device is like, how it looks or feels, some simple specifications, how it performs a given task, etc.

As a conservative buyer, I would still be happier if they actually announced 'how many hours of HD video can be recorded' and 'real world battery usage', how the display and other hardware can be advantageous to me in today's time.

This ad is by Samsung or Android is not very clear and as a viewer I cannot judge if I am looking into buying a Samsung product offering Android or the other way round.

It misses a focal point.
    I think you're looking further into the ad then most ever will. People want to be rich they want to imitate celebrities. Look at twitter Facebook Instagram all of these social networking sites built around the idea of hey look at me and what I'm doing I'm cool. The ad is saying just that "this is what cool rich people do" the young consumer crowd will eat this up and find out it sucks later, after it's to late.

Why do you think iPhones sale so well? It definitely isn't because of the games, or the great app support although that definitely has a major part in it all. I believe it has more to do with the fact everyone has one and the image Apple gives its device. Of you don't have an iPhone then you're not cool is what a series of there ads said at one point in time in a nutshell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 08-23-12 at 03:24 AM.
    08-23-12 03:21 AM
    Definitely cannot ignore the benefits of celebrity endorsements.
    phonejunky likes this.
    08-23-12 03:42 AM
    A very sharp contrast here is to mention that BlackBerry imagines it's users to be 'more' hand-on with their devices rather than the devices be just an addition to their daily lives as shown in the commercial here.

BlackBerry has been very vocal in the past about them wanting their devices to be an extension of the user helping them constantly throughout the day with varying tasks from personal to business.

The typical usage of a BlackBerry user is not as graphic as shown in this Samsung commercial but much more streamlined and for most part in an office environment (not limited to your cubicle). Excessive multi-tasking can be taxing on the mind and also be intrusive with a clear mind thinking process. The need for wanting to use 'more' of what's given to us can simultaneously harm us in the real-world by actually using 'less' of what we need.

This Samsung commercial resembles the recently launched celebrity lifestyle commercials by Apple for the New iPad.

I think we can all agree that RIM's imagination of what their customers really want has been really flawed in the past few years.

Samsung has shown FAR better appreciation of what really sells to consumers than RIM...no contest! And that shows in their respective sales figures.
    08-23-12 03:43 AM
    I think we can all agree that RIM's imagination of what their customers really want has been really flawed in the past few years.

Samsung has shown FAR better appreciation of what really sells to consumers than RIM...no contest! And that shows in their respective sales figures.
    That's not how it works.. I would like to say that RIM invested all their time and money 'a little bit extra' in focusing on the needs of their existing customers rather than bring in new developments to attract new customers. RIM's thinking wasn't flawed, they just weren't paying attention.

So, Samsung has now grabbed that market with their bubbly new products..

This has nothing to do with their advertisements. Till date, all of RIM's communications are perceived as classy and professional. They are a good breather against all competitors trying to force their products into the market to win the tablet war.
    08-23-12 04:12 AM
    That's not how it works.. I would like to say that RIM invested all their time and money 'a little bit extra' in focusing on the needs of their existing customers rather than bring in new developments to attract new customers. RIM's thinking wasn't flawed, they just weren't paying attention.

This has nothing to do with their advertisements. Till date, all of RIM's communications are perceived as classy and professional. They are a good breather against all competitors trying to force their products into the market to win the tablet war.
    LOL!! You've got to be kidding

What was the Blackberry Storm series for if not an amateurish attempt to attract new customers in the consumer space?
    If RIM was 'focusing on the needs of the existing customers' why did they fit a small battery in the 9900 flagship phone just to join the 'thin-is-in' fad? Especially when their existing userbase LOVED blackberries for their excellent battery lives.

'Classy and professional' yet they touted the Playbook as the world's first tablet for 'serious work'...and it shipped with no email, no contacts etc...and seriously lags behind the big two in productivity apps. No consumer should feel he has to commit to purchasing a companion device just to be productive (i.e buying a BB for Bridge).

BB10 looks very promising, and I see that as RIM's redemption. That's the silver lining in all this.
    08-23-12 10:12 AM

You're joking right? Yea you have to be joking. Let's start with hardware and how they recycle almost all of there products. Then we have software that remains buggy and not nearly as smooth as there competitors. let's not sugar coat things RIM fell behind for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-23-12 10:20 AM
    I have no reasons to sugar coat or even protect RIM's image in this whole discussion.. I'm just stating my perception.

Personally.. I din't think there was anything wrong with launching the PlayBook without PIM. There was Bridge and I've stuck with it till now.

Like I said earlier, they have always been more focused on their existing customers who already own BlackBerry products.. and that's what they keep repeating in all their interviews.

About the PlayBook being a serious work tablet.. It is definitely above Android and Apple if you get down to technical stuff.. Maybe real-world performance is not at par. But that should not stop them from advertising the fact.
    08-23-12 10:35 AM
    I have no reasons to sugar coat or even protect RIM's image in this whole discussion.. I'm just stating my perception.

Personally.. I din't think there was anything wrong with launching the PlayBook without PIM. There was Bridge and I've stuck with it till now.

Like I said earlier, they have always been more focused on their existing customers who already own BlackBerry products.. and that's what they keep repeating in all their interviews.

About the PlayBook being a serious work tablet.. It is definitely above Android and Apple if you get down to technical stuff.. Maybe real-world performance is not at par. But that should not stop them from advertising the fact.
    Bridge requires you to own a Blackberry. A tablet should be able to sink or swim standalone, sorry.

Standalone, There are loads more productivity apps on both those two platforms than there are on the Playbook.
    08-23-12 06:19 PM
    But I already own a BlackBerry.. Should I throw it out the window to prove your point?

I beg to differ.. If my company professional work relies on tablets.. I cannot depend on an application.. I need standard features embedded within the operating system.
    Last edited by BlackBerryIO; 08-24-12 at 04:10 AM.
    08-24-12 04:08 AM
    But I already own a BlackBerry.. Should I throw it out the window to prove your point?

I beg to differ.. If my company professional work relies on tablets.. I cannot depend on an application.. I need standard features embedded within the operating system.
    Is RIM targeting the PlayBook solely at blackberry users? No!

The majority of smartphone users in North America do not use Blackberries. By your logic then the PLayBook is definitely not for them.

Your company work does not depend on tablets...your company work does not depend on Blackberries too. For times away from your laptop/desktop/office, productivity apps/features on tablets help bridge that gap. For example if i was an Architect, i'd know that there's an Autodesk CAD app on iOS and Android that'd enable me view all my CAD drawings and building plans on the go. That allows productivity that can't be done on a Playbook.
    Similarly, if I spent loads of time with reading and editing Office docs on the go, i'd know that Docs to Go on the Playbook pales in comparison with others on iOS and Android. Hardly anything out there competes with Polaris Office for rrendering Powerpoint files as close to the original as possible.

Enterprises can deploy apps for their staff too... i don't understand this your urge to remove third party apps from the equation.

PS: I'm not trying to be 'negative' or anything, just sharing my own observations.
    08-24-12 04:57 AM
    Printing-I think you are wrong here, I have seen printing apps advertised on CB.

Share To (simple send to type function)-This has to be coming with BB10, the OS7 phones have it so ...
    What is meant by Share To? Many thanks.
    08-24-12 06:24 AM

So tell me, as a person who purchased a Playbook on launch day for FULL price, why should I have to throw out MY existing smartphone if you don't have to?

I expected the pb to do everything it was advertised as, yet it didn't. So what are these stand alone features that the Playbook has that allows for you to get work done without bridge? Ya' know, for us that don't have a blackberry phone...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    08-24-12 07:01 AM
    You're missing my point.. I have nothing to say if it's right or wrong that RIM went the way they did.. Because it's right for me but wrong for you...

Tell me what do i do with 2 mail apps?
    08-24-12 10:44 AM
    What two mail apps?

Sent from the ether...
    08-24-12 11:12 AM

You mean like RIM's bike ad?

If you read the comments about that ad, RIM probably boosted bicycle and glow paint sales more than BB sales.

BlackBerry Bold Bikes Commercial
    OniBerry likes this.
    08-24-12 11:20 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD