I have been searching, with little success, for somewhat accurate sales numbers in the tablet sector. First off, I am not interest in Apple's numbers. I will assume they have sold a gillion. More importantly, I am interested in the breakdown of individual tablets, not the breakdown by OS. For instance, Samsung, Acer, ASUS have released different tablets with different specs. Those numbers should all be treated separately (with the exception of 16, 32, 64 gb storage).

Any idea where I can see such numbers? I would assume the Playbook figures would seem fairly competitive.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    04-09-12 10:30 AM
    RIM announced last month that in the last quarter, where there was a reduced price, they 'shipped' 500,000 units and the retailers 'sold' more than that amount.

There had been some other unsubstantiated estimates that about 3 million were 'sold' since release.

As far as I known, RIM never announced a breakdown by storage.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...in-first-call/
    Last edited by mandony; 04-09-12 at 11:07 AM.
    04-09-12 11:01 AM
    So, is 3 million playbooks sold good in comparison to Samsung's, acer's, asus's tablet sales?

This article claims Samsung shipped 2 million 7" galaxy tabs, but only sold 20,000. If true, playbook kicked its . http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392422,00.asp
    Last edited by drummer_god; 04-09-12 at 11:18 AM.
    04-09-12 11:13 AM
    So, is 3 million playbooks sold good in comparison to Samsung's, acer's, asus's tablet sales?

This article claims Samsung shipped 2 million 7" galaxy tabs, but only sold 20,000. If true, playbook kicked its . Lenovo: Samsung Galaxy Tab Sales 20K, not 2 Million | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    As of the end of Feb, RIM had shipped 1.3 million Playbooks. It seems unlikely that out of that 1.3 million they managed to sell 3 million to end users. A better estimate is probably 1-1.1 million sold to end users. RIM said it was "over a million" on the call a couple of weeks ago.

I haven't seen any hard numbers from Samsung, though. So yes, the Playbook may compare well against the others (except for the Kindle Fire and iPad obviously).
    kennyliu, peter9477 and Hgouck like this.
    04-09-12 11:53 AM
    Think the wikipedia article (know it should be taken with a pinch of salt) said RIM estimate the number of playbooks in the wild are around 1m units.

Pretty sure I recently read there was around 3.8m android tablets (based on honeycomb activations) - not sure how Ice cream sandwich fits in to this.

iPad sales are around 50m since launch. Think those numbers explain the uphill battle of trying to encourage developers to write APPS for the PlayBook.

As a side note, what I do hope to see is increased development when the phone and PlayBook operating systems merge.

References:
    BlackBerry PlayBook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    04-09-12 01:33 PM
    If Research In Motion had focused on the enterprise and professional market segments from the outset and marketed the advantages of BlackBerry Bridge things could have been much more financially beneficial to the company and likely the shareholders.
    04-09-12 02:41 PM
    Think the wikipedia article (know it should be taken with a pinch of salt) said RIM estimate the number of playbooks in the wild are around 1m units.

Pretty sure I recently read there was around 3.8m android tablets (based on honeycomb activations) - not sure how Ice cream sandwich fits in to this.

iPad sales are around 50m since launch. Think those numbers explain the uphill battle of trying to encourage developers to write APPS for the PlayBook.

As a side note, what I do hope to see is increased development when the phone and PlayBook operating systems merge.

References:
    BlackBerry PlayBook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I think when comparing numbers you shouldn't lump android into one category . Cause it's not like Samsung cares how many HTC or Motorola tablets were sold.
    04-09-12 02:55 PM
    Yeah, can't find any detailed numbers at that level - I'd be rally interested to see them if anyone can offer up the information?

At a guess I'd probably say Samsung were taking the majority of that 3.8m activations with Asus and acer taking smaller but reasonable chunks and then the rest broken up against the smaller manufacturers.
    04-09-12 03:58 PM
    so, total android tablet sales are roughly 3.8 million, but spread over 25 tablet makers;

ZTE, Vizio, Viewsonic, Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, Siragon, Quanta, Pandigital, Notion Inc, Motorola, HTC, Entourage, Dell, Creative, Coby, Cherry mobile, Barnes and Noble, Augen, Asus, Archos, Arnova, Advent, Acer, AOC.

3.8 million android tablets sold divided by 25 makers equals an average of 152,000 tablets sold/ per tablet maker. ( i'm guessing most of these sales come from 2 or 3 makers, and the others are getting far less than that. )

so, the playbook sales of 1.1 Million is actually really good in comparision to android tablet makers.
    04-09-12 04:18 PM
    after ipad the sales fall in like this i think judging by numbers i have read over the last couple weeks(actual sales not shipped)

kindle fire 5+ million
    galaxy tab 10.1 1.5-2 million
    transformer 1.5 million
    Playbook 1.1-1.3 million

Touchpad might actually have more than the playbook but i cant say for sure, its over a million though i know that.

The rest would be below a million each
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-09-12 04:32 PM
    is kindle fire a tablet or an ereader?
    who makes touchpad?

Rogers gave away tens of thousands of galaxy 10.1 tablets here in Canada. i wonder if that is reflected in their numbers?
    Last edited by drummer_god; 04-09-12 at 05:07 PM.
    04-09-12 05:02 PM
    The fire is souped up ereader but a butchered playbook.

It has more apps and runs android. The playbook has much more on the hardware and OS side.

HP made the touchpad, no longer.
    04-09-12 05:09 PM
    if the touchpad sold 1 million units, why did HP stop manufacturing them?
    was the touchpad an android device?

if Howarmat's numbers are accurate, the playbook is only 200,000 units away from being the number 2 ( non e-reader ) tablet in the world.
    that's impressive.
    Last edited by drummer_god; 04-09-12 at 05:18 PM.
    04-09-12 05:15 PM
    The touchpad was WebOS which HP bought from Palm? and then a month after they put out the touchpad they killed it and had a fire sale.
    04-09-12 05:20 PM
    after ipad the sales fall in like this i think judging by numbers i have read over the last couple weeks(actual sales not shipped)

kindle fire 5+ million
    galaxy tab 10.1 1.5-2 million
    transformer 1.5 million
    Playbook 1.1-1.3 million

Touchpad might actually have more than the playbook but i cant say for sure, its over a million though i know that.

The rest would be below a million each
    I believe the latest quoted number for the Touchpad was 1.2 mill but that was before HP started fulfilling some of the remaining backorders.
    04-09-12 05:22 PM
    technically there is already a 2nd transformer released so i think asus stopped production of the first transformer. Just the same there should be another PB released and those would then be different numbers and not just adding onto the PB1 numbers. Samsung has a few tabs so really samsungs total number sold is probably another 500k more. Just depends how you look at the numbers.

The reality is the PB didnt sell to badly BUT only after it was slashed down over $300 from its retail price. The next PB will probably sell for more than the current prices so it will be interesting to see how well it sells. Also the 7 inch tablet market is going to be even more fierce with a few ICS based 7 tabs that should be priced 200-300 range and i am sure those will see very well if my nexus is any indication on what samsung/google have in mind.

The PB is still very much behind when it comes to functionality is some areas and we dont know when the ecosystem will really improve.
    04-09-12 05:27 PM
    there should be another PB released and those would then be different numbers and not just adding onto the PB1 numbers.

when we talk iPad sales, we add all 3 variations of the tablet, and not just 1, 2 and new.
    why would playbook 2 ( or 4G ) sales not be added to playbook 1 sales?
    04-09-12 05:33 PM
    RIM could probably give a rather accurate estimate of Playbooks sold since they have unique identifying numbers and log in to RIM's servers the first time you start one up. The fact they do not release those numbers would suggest to me that they are less than people around here seem to think. Regardless of manufacturer though, sales may not be a very good indicator of units in use, if they do not factor in returns. Just scanning the frequency of open box tablets, and tablets up for resale, would suggest all tablets (including the iPad) have rather high return rates.
    04-09-12 05:42 PM
    The fire is souped up ereader but a butchered playbook.

It has more apps and runs android. The playbook has much more on the hardware and OS side.

HP made the touchpad, no longer.
    The Kindle Fire would count as a tablet by any reasonable metrics. It has a tablet form factor, a tablet OS, and access to a large number of apps covering essential areas of functionality. Quite frankly, if anything would count as a "souped up ereader," it would be the Playbook since it lacks substantial app support. I wouldn't actually consider it to be one, but if you are going to take a dismissive attitude towards a more popular device, you better be willing to take a hard look at the one you are holding....
    04-09-12 05:50 PM
    when we talk iPad sales, we add all 3 variations of the tablet, and not just 1, 2 and new.
    why would playbook 2 ( or 4G ) sales not be added to playbook 1 sales?
    i guess it depends. Apple still produces and actively sells its ipad 2 right now. RIM wont produce the PB 1 anymore once they come out with the newer fast model. RIM might have stopped production already on the PB1 but i cannot say for sure. That is the difference IMO
    04-09-12 05:50 PM
    The Kindle Fire would count as a tablet by any reasonable metrics. It has a tablet form factor, a tablet OS, and access to a large number of apps covering essential areas of functionality. Quite frankly, if anything would count as a "souped up ereader," it would be the Playbook since it lacks substantial app support. I wouldn't actually consider it to be one, but if you are going to take a dismissive attitude towards a more popular device, you better be willing to take a hard look at the one you are holding....
    OK no harm meant. I was pointing out all though it has the apps and does run android it is built from their other offerings being readers. On the hardware side the pb has much more but lacks the apps.
    04-09-12 06:26 PM
    i guess it depends. Apple still produces and actively sells its ipad 2 right now. RIM wont produce the PB 1 anymore once they come out with the newer fast model. RIM might have stopped production already on the PB1 but i cannot say for sure. That is the difference IMO
    ipad 1 sales are lumped in with 2 and new when talking about ipad sales and they are not making 1 anymore.
    Anything called playbook should be added together as well, Imo.
    04-09-12 07:15 PM
    technically there is already a 2nd transformer released so i think asus stopped production of the first transformer.
    I'm not sure that's actually the case because the cost for the 16 GB original Transformer is still $400 (i.e. original launch price) at most retailers. (I've been thinking about buying a Transformer with keyboard dock since I missed out on Best Buy's Black Friday sale back in November, so I would know about the Transformer's price. )
    04-09-12 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD