At work today 2 of my colleagues showed up with new playbooks they just bought (one of them also bought one for his wife). That together with another colleague buying last week increased the people I know with a PB by 400%...

Maybe not all is lost...here is to hope that the price cuts and the upcoming 2.0 upgrade will turn things around.

AR
    10-05-11 09:08 PM
    With the current price reduction they seem to be selling like hotcakes, most places I checked out when I was looking for one were sold out. After 3 locations I finally found one and it was the last unit they had.
    10-05-11 09:22 PM
    I said at the beginning that these tablets were over priced.
    10-05-11 09:25 PM
    I talked three into a PlayBook in the last two days, only catch is none available. Not sure how patient they will be. 499.00 was said to be too high, when I told them they now start at 299.00..... every single one got excited and more or less stated "I can justify that"
    10-05-11 09:28 PM
    I know that 2 PB were purchased by friends (with a little help from me) precisely because of the sale prices. They were certainly interested prior but the cost was just out of their budgets.
    10-05-11 09:32 PM
    My friend convinced me to get one. She works for Rogers...hooked me up with an awesome employee deal. Totally stoked with the PB. Was going to get an ipad2 but this does everything i want and at a sick price!
    10-05-11 09:32 PM
    Playbook is on its way, after the birth pangs.
    10-05-11 10:11 PM
    Despite the excellent high-quality engineering the BlackBerry PlayBook was certainly overpriced at the release day pricing. These sale prices reflect a pent up demand for BlackBerry PlayBooks because I can guarantee it is not merely early adopters buying second and third BlackBerry PlayBooks, rather many new users are purchasing these tablets as a consequence of the pricing reduction.
    10-05-11 10:16 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Its a steel at $299 IMO .....
    10-05-11 10:19 PM
    You can tell by the amount of newbie posts on the forum.

Nothing against them, just noticing... Welcome Newbies... :-)
    10-05-11 10:30 PM
    ok.... great... they're selling..... except for the fact that RIM is taking a loss and basically selling them at cost.... the real question is if the playbook "catches on" ... will people pay say even around the 400 mark? cause thats what RIMM will need to make a good enough profit on it.... unless they can turn revenue from other playbook avenues like bb music or bb movies.... time will tell.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-11 10:57 PM
    To all the new PB owners I say welcome.
    10-05-11 11:04 PM
    Yes they were, of course there were some of us who would buy them anyway, but there was no way in **** RIM could expect to compete with Android or Apple with the price they were charging for these tabs and it's severely lacking app world. 349.99 would have been the right price for the 16GB model on launch day IMO. As it stands now, 299.99 is the perfect price right now.

ok.... great... they're selling..... except for the fact that RIM is taking a loss and basically selling them at cost.... the real question is if the playbook "catches on" ... will people pay say even around the 400 mark? cause thats what RIMM will need to make a good enough profit on it.... unless they can turn revenue from other playbook avenues like bb music or bb movies.... time will tell.
    It was rumored that it only cost RIM slightly under 200$ for each Playbook. If that's the case then their original prices were extremely greedy, and they are still making profit at 299$.
    Last edited by Megacharge; 10-05-11 at 11:11 PM.
    10-05-11 11:07 PM

This is why I'm convinced the price will not go down after the sales and 2.0, they could not possibly be making a profit at this price.
    It's just a much higher quality piece of hardware than similarly priced tablets.
    10-05-11 11:41 PM
    Funny....I said much the same thing today on the 'Official I got my PlayBook thread'. I've noticed a trickle of new PB owners on here - which has become a flow now. That's just the ones who bother to post. Welcome all! I get a feeling next quarters numbers are going to be much better...
    PTZ likes this.
    10-05-11 11:49 PM
    RIM needs marketshare if devs are to write apps. If they need to sell @ break-even to do so then so be it.

10-05-11 11:55 PM
    I got the last 32MB PB at Best Buy yesterday evening. $399 is justifiable, although you really need to add some accessories to this price (I expect about $100), which are totally overpriced (a $60 rapid charger or POD, really???

I am impressed with the device though, even with the current OS version 1.07(?). I own a Torch and the Bridge thing is pretty damn cool. Checking email and having calendar access with virtually no setup (other than the Bridge) is great.

I hope more apps will be released, but so far I have found a few cool ones already and hope for more ...
    10-05-11 11:59 PM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    DEVCON in a few days is going to be amazing and new features are coming to Playbook .. so stay tuned!! ....

Playbook 2.0 .. and more!
    10-06-11 12:01 AM
    I got the last 32MB PB at Best Buy yesterday evening. $399 is justifiable, although you really need to add some accessories to this price (I expect about $100), which are totally overpriced (a $60 rapid charger or POD, really???

I am impressed with the device though, even with the current OS version 1.07(?). I own a Torch and the Bridge thing is pretty damn cool. Checking email and having calendar access with virtually no setup (other than the Bridge) is great.

I hope more apps will be released, but so far I have found a few cool ones already and hope for more ...
    32MB? You meant 32GB?

Actually, I think QNX can run on a floppy disk, and so it would probably run on 32mb....

Welcome to the crackberry forums!
    10-06-11 12:10 AM
    It was rumored that it only cost RIM slightly under 200$ for each Playbook. If that's the case then their original prices were extremely greedy, and they are still making profit at 299$.
    Actually the rumors where around 205$ (I'vre read that somewhere). But it isn't the point; RIM have to market its prices./ And the proper pricing might be between now (too low to ensure future and high grade positioning) and former (too high to grab a market, even a niche one). The 100$ overprice from 16->32->64 sounds kinda strange to me; is it legitimated anyhow ?
    I'll make a "mass users" 16Gb around 350$ (maybe with a 50$ credit for apps purchase, for example), a 32Gb pro around 400$ (with a free pro network tool for instance) and an ultimate 64Gb around 550$ (with both apps and network bonuses). This would be more distinctive and I'd even make them different colors ... silver-grey-carbon ...
    But wowowo ... so easy just 'brainstorming' !
    10-06-11 04:43 AM

I'm not sure what greed has to do with this.

It's basic marketing - you set the price at the maximum you think your market will stand so as to maximise your profit. The manufacturing price is largely irrelevant, except that only a "soon to be out of business" company would set that price lower than the build price.

If manufacturing price was the sole determiner of sale price, DVDs would cost $2!

IMHO, the prices were dictated by what Apple iPads were selling at... as were the $100 increments in memory size... which the market clearly decided were too high. Apple could get away with it, RIM couldn't... And we see the price cuts as a result. I can't see the prices falling any lower than they are as the $100 profit/unit must be close to the point where RIM'll have nothing to re-invest in R&D.
    10-06-11 07:19 AM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Playbook is going to get a whole lot better!!! - DEVCON and Playbook OS 2.0 coming soon!!!

10 DAYS AND COUNTING!
    10-06-11 12:31 PM
    Playbook is going to get a whole lot better!!! - DEVCON and Playbook OS 2.0 coming soon!!!

10 DAYS AND COUNTING!
    And more than likely - counting and counting and counting ......

The main question will be are fingers enough or will we need toes, too. And then, how many people!
    10-06-11 02:35 PM
    Well, the playbook tablet in the state that it currently is, i believe, is over priced... The tablet i thought i was buying wasnt, as a 64 gig playbook with all the functionality we thought was already going to be available at launch was well worth $699.

The device in the current state we see it is indeed better priced at $299/$399/$499

10-06-11 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD