I am a newbie here.Is it fine to update official update v2.0.1.668 to beta 2.1.0.840 version.I know there will be some bugs in beta version.Just wondering whether such bugs effect overall performance very badly?

i will really appreciate if anyone can clear below doubts

1. Do i lose my applications installed (both free and paid ones) ?
    2. Any effect to Android applications installed
    3. Do i need to re install all applications after beta update
    4. Is that possible to role back to official update from beta without losing installed applications

I am very much excited to give an update same time afraid too
    rexrim likes this.
    08-14-12 11:50 AM
    Hey! i'm in the same situation as you, and i had the same question which were ansewered in the "beta release" topic. Here's what i know:

1 - Yes,

2 - No garantees

About the others i recommend you to search that topic(about 80 replies) cause that's were everybody's putting their impressions about the new beta.

There are answers for you there

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-14-12 12:14 PM
    The thread is called:

" New Beta Update 2.1.0840"

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-14-12 12:25 PM
    Good Day Guys- To answer some of your questions:
    1. No you do not lose your data or apps (BUT, nothing is guaranteed so you should always back up your device using the desktop manager (DM).
    2. PedroBorgas answered that question correctly
    3. Look at the first answer
    4. No, if you roll back to the offical OS, you will have to re-install all of your apps and data.
    I hope this helps!
    08-14-12 12:39 PM
    Yes you can update beta versions. Check out BlackBerry Beta Zone.
    08-14-12 12:50 PM
    Good Day Guys- To answer some of your questions:
    1. No you do not lose your data or apps (BUT, nothing is guaranteed so you should always back up your device using the desktop manager (DM).
    2. PedroBorgas answered that question correctly
    3. Look at the first answer
    4. No, if you roll back to the offical OS, you will have to re-install all of your apps and data.
    I hope this helps!
    Thank you.Do i want to repay for already paid application in case i want to reinstall them
    rexrim likes this.
    08-14-12 12:52 PM
    Thank you.Do i want to repay for already paid application in case i want to reinstall them
    You don't have to repay, just reinstall.
    08-14-12 12:59 PM
    My motto: beta be careful. I think I'll wait till the official.
    scuebydue likes this.
    08-14-12 01:01 PM
    I would wipe and then sign up for beta. I wouldn't go from. 668 to beta with all the issues I've read about.
    08-14-12 01:12 PM
    Mmm

1.Do i lose my applications installed (both free and paid ones) ?
    --- its the same chances as any upgrade of losing apps. 99 times out of 100 you'll be fine. If not, it was going to get lost when you upgraded to 2.1 anyway.

2.Any effect to Android applications installed
    --- Yes. Your Android apps now open in separate windows, so you can play more than one android app at a time. Sometimes android seems to get stuck more - so grab Overload from AppWorld

3.Do i need to re install all applications after beta update
    --- Nada, its just like a normal update.

4.Is that possible to role back to official update from beta without losing installed applications
    --- Not easily. You would need to use dingleberry.

A few clarifications:

1. You are in no "extra" danger with this OS than any OS update.
    2. This is designed for Devs, so we can test the OS for a while with our apps to make sure they don't break.
    3. You have as much risk of losing data now (on your current OS) as the beta.
    4. Beta releases are designed for public consumption. Alpha releases are the scary ones.
    5. The OS your running has many more bugs than the 2.1 beta's.
    6. I've been running 2.1 on several PB's since they came available, no hiccups. Not that there is anything I'd be scared of at this point. The incremental upgrades are worthless to most non-devs.

Additional notes:

You should never need to repay for apps. You may need to re-install them (they are locked to your BB Account, not your PlayBook)
    You should always backup your playbook. Just remember, you need to be on the same OS version as your backup to restore
    If you can't backup due to error, see one of my many threads on fixes
    RIM will never tell you what they changed anyway, so its always hit or miss and random guessing on whats what.
    Last edited by KermEd; 08-14-12 at 04:56 PM.
    08-14-12 04:52 PM
    Kermed, u da boss

Tks

Boas still ill wait a few more days for the final version
    08-14-12 05:28 PM
    Well, I just upgraded the 32gig to the newest beta. I registered my PIN and by the time I picked up the pb, hit the update software button, it was available. Took a while to upgrade though - I just left it downloading the upgrade and left!

The only paid app i have on it is Battery Guru and that's running. From what I can see my sideloaded Android apps are still there but I have not tried anything yet.
    08-14-12 07:41 PM
    I also updated to recent version.After that i cant charge PB through USB.Also DDPB installer for installing android apps is not detecting my pb dont know what to do
    08-15-12 01:40 PM
    I also updated to recent version.After that i cant charge PB through USB.Also DDPB installer for installing android apps is not detecting my pb dont know what to do
    Did you try a hard reset - that is holding down the Volume + and - buttons for a full minute?

See how it works after that ....
    08-15-12 05:55 PM
    Both work fine for me. Make sure you grabbed your PB cable (not your phone cable). The two roblems you mention are related (actually the same.m.)

Both work peachy keen for me. In fact DDPB works better for me in this beta OS. I usually use ddpb over wifi mind you but I use USB for debugging and ddpb as well with it.
    PedroBorgas likes this.
    08-16-12 03:24 PM
    Today, I updated my 16gb running 2.0.1.668 (with no problems btw) to 2.1.0.840.
    I am liking it so far. And multiple sideloaded android apps open at the same time is great.
    08-16-12 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD