i just bought a rapid charger charging pod but i noticed that the PB gets very hot when plugged in for a few minutes.

i had hoped to leave the PB plugged in and grab it when needed - is this safe?
    12-31-11 06:41 AM
    Been doing it since april and battery life has not changed.
    12-31-11 06:44 AM
    Been doing it since april and battery life has not changed.
    great, thanks.
    MrMechanic likes this.
    12-31-11 06:47 AM
    Same goes for the phones as well. That was old technology batteries that lost their charges or developed memories from overcharging or not running the batteries all the way down. You can leave them plugged as long as you want or top off whenever and not worry about battery life.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-31-11 06:54 AM
    Same goes for the phones as well. That was old technology batteries that lost their charges or developed memories from overcharging or not running the batteries all the way down. You can leave them plugged as long as you want or top off whenever and not worry about battery life.
    im well aware of that, i wasnt concerned about battery life, i was concerned because the PB gets very hot just above the charging port.
    12-31-11 06:58 AM
    actually, i think it was getting hot because i left the flipclock app on display.

may need to rethink that plan, was hoping to use the PB as a cool clock while not being used.
    12-31-11 07:28 AM
    Define "very hot"... things get hot when they're using a lot of power, and running with the screen on while charging will consume quite a bit (more than 10W).

You could try reducing the brightness of the screen to the minimum... that will be the best step to reduce power.

Also Battery Guru (on sale for a few more days still) monitors and records the temperature, though it doesn't currently display it. You can see it in the final column of data in the CSV export file, so you could check how hot it's really getting under different conditions.
    12-31-11 09:10 AM
    Define "very hot"... things get hot when they're using a lot of power, and running with the screen on while charging will consume quite a bit (more than 10W).

You could try reducing the brightness of the screen to the minimum... that will be the best step to reduce power.

Also Battery Guru (on sale for a few more days still) monitors and records the temperature, though it doesn't currently display it. You can see it in the final column of data in the CSV export file, so you could check how hot it's really getting under different conditions.
    Maybe you could consider displaying this info, Peter?

I've seen a number of threads expressing worry about if their "hot PB" is in someway faulty. Maybe a temperature display and Green/Amber/Red dashboard display ... if only for the reassurance factor?

I'm just thinking out loud really...
    12-31-11 09:24 AM
    Maybe you could consider displaying this info, Peter?

I've seen a number of threads expressing worry about if their "hot PB" is in someway faulty. Maybe a temperature display and Green/Amber/Red dashboard display ... if only for the reassurance factor?

I'm just thinking out loud really...
    I planned to at some point, but initially needed more data from people before I felt comfortable doing so. I actually have that now (thanks to those who've sent data!) so I'll probably put something in the next release.
    12-31-11 09:37 AM
    Thanks Peter. I would be happy with just a number.
    I recently discovered files and folders displays the csv file making it easier to take a quick look.
    12-31-11 09:46 AM
    Thanks Peter. I would be happy with just a number.
    I recently discovered files and folders displays the csv file making it easier to take a quick look.
    I reckon that if it was just a number, you'd simply get a whole heap of threads that started: "My PB says it's at xx degC, is that temperature OK?

That's why I suggested colours. If it's green, it's good!

And if it's consistently red, you probably need to take "steps". I'm guessing here, but running too hot continually must have some impact on the component life?
    Last edited by JeepBB; 12-31-11 at 10:05 AM.
    Chaddface likes this.
    12-31-11 10:01 AM
    I reckon that if it was just a number, you'd simply get a whole heap of threads that started: "My PB says it's at xx degC, is that temperature OK?

That's why I suggested colours. If it's green, it's good!

And if it's consistently red, you probably need to take "steps". I'm guessing here, but running too hot continually must have some impact on the component life?
    Hose it down or toss it into an ice bath.

I, too, wonder how hot is HOT? My Otterbox intervenes so I'm not sure how warm it is under the covers!
    12-31-11 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD