Ok, I recently wrote a post with my rants about my playbook and now it is time to give it some well deserved love.
    I keep reading far too often how crappy the web browser of our Playbooks is in comparison with safari and could not disagree more.
    Although I have to admit the PB's browser have a few minor glitches, it is WAAAAY better than Safari. We get the chequered screen a bit too often, but then we have full, true access to websites.
    I have owned an iphone for a year, I know what I am talking about. Of course Safari is faster, it does not bother loading a lot of features.
    Just go to EL PA�S: el peri�dico global en espa�ol with your iphone/ipad/idevice and try to scroll down the "�ltimas noticias" widget. Sorry it is in Spanish, but I could not think of a better instance in an English website, you'll find a lot of them in this forum.
    Faster does not mean better, ask any woman about it ;-)
    kbz1960 and 00stryder like this.
    06-26-12 08:46 AM
    The PB supports flash. Every Ios device doesnt
    06-26-12 08:50 AM
    The PB supports flash. Every Ios device doesnt
    That's the point, of course safari is faster, but it is way worse. In my opinion apple should be the one worried about their crappy browser, but we all know how this world works.
    06-26-12 08:59 AM
    I've honestly had people say "holy, just s**t in my mouth, because that browser is way way faster than my iPad". I wish they weren't so gross to get the point across, but that's not the important part here.
    06-26-12 09:12 AM
    I've honestly had people say "holy, just s**t in my mouth, because that browser is way way faster than my iPad". I wish they weren't so gross to get the point across, but that's not the important part here.
    Well, it looks pretty fast to me, faster than what my iphone 4 on OS4 used to be as I recall. For what I have read I imagine safari on latest OS5 devices renders the page before you press OK.
    06-26-12 09:18 AM
    Well, it looks pretty fast to me, faster than what my iphone 4 on OS4 used to be as I recall. For what I have read I imagine safari on latest OS5 devices renders the page before you press OK.
    To be even more honest, I was so surprised to hear someone say how much faster my PlayBook browser was than that on the iPad!
    06-26-12 09:20 AM
    The browser on PB is far better than Safari. Especially regarding switching tabs, playing Flash and gestures.
    It's slightly slower though.
    06-26-12 09:21 AM
    The browser on PB is far better than Safari. Especially regarding switching tabs, playing Flash and gestures.
    Could not agree more, tell apple fanboys about that. I tried to convince a friend of mine with little luck... "Ok, but where is your apple?"
    joski likes this.
    06-26-12 09:26 AM
    Could not agree more, tell apple fanboys about that. I tried to convince a friend of mine with little luck... "Ok, but where is your apple?"
    I'm just liking your comment because you're one of those understanding multi-platform device owners! I sincerely wish every thread was a discussion, rather than what's better. Period.

Cheers man!
    06-26-12 09:29 AM
    I'm just liking your comment because you're one of those understanding multi-platform device owners! I sincerely wish every thread was a discussion, rather than what's better. Period.

Cheers man!
    Well, not sure about that, but I have always said that the iphone4 (the one I have used) is a great device, but I like my 9860 better, even if it is a bit behind.
    06-26-12 09:36 AM
    I've done side-by-sides with the family Ipad2 and I would say the Ipad2 is faster by a smidge. If I turn flash off it looks about the same.

I think I remember someone stating that the current browser was done with Air and others responding with "that explains a lot". I have little idea what that really means but I left the conversation thinking that the current PB browser was being handicapped by Air and could only get better using different resources. Not to shabby if you ask me.
    06-26-12 09:43 AM
    I've done side-by-sides with the family Ipad2 and I would say the Ipad2 is faster by a smidge. If I turn flash off it looks about the same.
    If you disable flash, this thing is �*^'ing fast
    06-26-12 09:50 AM
    I prefer the browser being slower if the page being displayed shows up the way it was intended to be, not crippled because someone decided so. I still don't have any idea what rode that person to leave flash out of a browser even though the hardware could pull it off.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-26-12 10:00 AM
    I find java script to be the cow in the pb browser, maybe that also has to do with air?
    06-26-12 10:08 AM
    I prefer the browser being slower if the page being displayed shows up the way it was intended to be, not crippled because someone decided so. I still don't have any idea what rode that person to leave flash out of a browser even though the hardware could pull it off.
    Ummm you do know why apple doesn't support flash right? Adobe denied Steve Jobs many years ago to write him a Mac version. When apple blew up they came back on their knees and jobs in return denied them.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-26-12 10:33 AM
    Ummm you do know why apple doesn't support flash right? Adobe denied Steve Jobs many years ago to write him a Mac version. When apple blew up they came back on their knees and jobs in return denied them.
    riiiight, it has nothing to do with the fact that flash sucks and has sucked for many on mobile and desktop...its literally the only thing that crashes on my Mac mini and win7 laptop...and it was also major source for crashes when i had the pb too...there is a reason even adobe is moving away from supporting mobile flash...
    06-26-12 11:15 AM
    The main reason I'll never swap my PB for an iPad is the browser.
    06-26-12 11:44 AM
    Come on Steve Jobs wasn't a vindictive A like that.

Anyway, Apple decided to make a minimal Web browser and force everyone with content to write a custom app. That has several advantages for Apple:

1) They get the appearance of great performance. Of course if you included the time the user takes to [download and] run the app needed to access the information a functional browser would have given them, the performance is not so great.

2) Apple does not need to spend resources creating and updating a complex browser. They can instead push that development work off to thousands of 3rd party developers.

I hope the local bank, dentist, hardware store, restaurant and others see with BB10 they don't need to pay for a custom app and Web page. They can just put those resources into a great Web page.
    Even if there is an app, I keep going to the full website most of the times, the screen of my PB is big enough and the browser good enough for that.
    Tip for BB: come up with a nice catchy name for your next generation's browser, something like Quest or Expedition or...
    Apple is good at that, call it "retina display" instead of high resolution screen and keep cashing up.
    06-26-12 11:49 AM
    I like Playbook Browser a lot, it works fine for me, most of the times.
    Safari is not that stable and I get crashes all the time.

One could say that Safari is faster. I just say that is faster because it don't give a full web experience, namely you don't get flash sites to work, and must consider that probably most known sites are optimized for safari.
    06-26-12 12:01 PM
    If it doesn't show the whole Page, it's crippled to me. I mainly use my PB for browsing and couldn't cope with getting a filtered version. I often see a page with embedded video and then what? I am not a fan of flash either, but fact is it is there a lot and that makes me enjoy my PB browser.
    The browser on my Torch doesn't do flash and it annoys me as well.
    polytope likes this.
    06-26-12 12:46 PM
    I posted about this in a different thread, but it would have been more "on topic" here in this thread. The PB browser for the majority of it works really well and is efficient and simple, but a couple areas where, hopefully, future updates will resolve: the bookmarks management and touch response. The bookmarks management is self-explanatory. The touch response is annoying when the display detects an unintended command and opens an ad or in-page link when trying to scroll a webpage. It happens all the time and I have to be extremely careful where I touch to scroll. I generally have to find a void area of the screen to scroll. Scrolling on areas of the page where there are any links whatsoever will result in opening an unintended link in an alternate tab.
    06-26-12 01:31 PM
    I posted about this in a different thread, but it would have been more "on topic" here in this thread. The PB browser for the majority of it works really well and is efficient and simple, but a couple areas where, hopefully, future updates will resolve: the bookmarks management and touch response. The bookmarks management is self-explanatory. The touch response is annoying when the display detects an unintended command and opens an ad or in-page link when trying to scroll a webpage. It happens all the time and I have to be extremely careful where I touch to scroll. I generally have to find a void area of the screen to scroll. Scrolling on areas of the page where there are any links whatsoever will result in opening an unintended link in an alternate tab.
    I've discovered a little tip to help with that.

The browser only registers a touch when the finger is lifted. When you need to scroll the page, touch the page close to the edge of the content and then SLIDE your finger over to the very edge of the bezel, where it meets the screen. Without lifting, then use that finger to scroll up and down the page, doing so over near the bezel gesture area. This will allow you to scroll quickly without the inadvertent taps on links and ads.
    06-26-12 02:18 PM
    If you disable flash, this thing is �*^'ing fast
    If you disable Javascript it flies on the CrackBerry website.
    06-26-12 02:27 PM
    I thought it was just me not doing it properly...
    06-26-12 02:31 PM
    I wish they would squeeze the history and stars together and put a top of page button in there. That would be such a time saver.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-26-12 02:34 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD