Let me start by saying that I did give the PB a fair shot... I am and always have been objective in my tech purchases and when I saw the price of the PB I couldn't resist picking one up. However, after 2 months of giving it a try, yesterday I bought the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, and now there can be no going back, even with the semi-imminent release of OS 2.0.

Things I loved about the PlayBook:

• Hardware was great... and the speakers best I ever heard on a tablet. Screen was very nice, and the unit felt solid and good in the hands.
    • Multitasking and swipe gestures are now second nature to me, and I keep trying to do it on the Android tablet, obviously with little success, heh.
    • Browser is very good, renders like a desktop.
    • I found the Music Player very good.

Main reasons why I cannot live with the PlayBook:

• Critical lack of quality apps and games when compared to iOS and Android, and imo this will not be fixed, especially with the new advertising revenue restrictions. RIM will imo not get the number and quality of developers on board necessary to change that significantly. Also, the BlackBerry app store is a horrible place to browse (i'm not being intentionally harsh, it just is) compared to the Android Market, and much less user friendly in terms of updating apps etc.
    • Apps not able to run in the background via system processes. One awesome thing about Android is that apps can run in the background at all times... Skype, alarms, email etc etc. Not having this functionality on the PlayBook really crippled my experience of having a tablet. My Samsung 7.7 has all this without skipping a beat.
    • Lack of customisation vs Android. My Samsung Galaxy 7.7 was rooted within 5 minutes to give it advanced functionality, and is now customised in terms of looks and functionality to look and behave exactly how I want for easy daily use, with all my essential apps and shortcuts highly organised and within easy reach. I personally found this was next to impossible with the PlayBook due to the OS and software restricitons.
    • Widgets. Love them or hate them, for me they are a necessity on my homescreen, such as my calendar widget for a quick scan of what I have upcoming, and they don't slow my Galaxy Tab down one bit.
    • Skype. As we all know, it's likely never going to make it to the PlayBook. Android has it, and I am now in video calling heaven.

I will not mention any feature of OS 2.0 that are currently not implemented as a negative, as I am fully aware that despite yet more predictably sucky delays, when it finally arrives it will address some of the major functionality issues of the PlayBook like native email and calendar/contacts etc. However, even with all the improvements 2.0 will bring, from my perspective it will not provide the overall complete and more user friendly experience and convenience that Android does. Even the ability to run Android apps, while cool, will in my opinion not be enough.

I will still look on the release of 2.0 with interest, and hold off selling my PlayBook until that is released, so that I can sell it advertised with better functionality... but that was my first and last PlayBook experience I think. Thanks guys, and take care.
    Last edited by Richdog-; 02-19-12 at 06:16 AM.
    02-19-12 05:08 AM
    Screeched to a halt when you said "semi imminent" release of OS 2.0
    BB10FTW likes this.
    02-19-12 05:20 AM

First bullet point is pretty much moot with 2.0, so you're not supposed to be mentioning it.

Second one I agree with, though I believe this is largely addressed in 2.0.

Lack of security is a plus? Don't worry, BlackBerry loves customization. It'll just take them a little bit to merge the new power and the old tools.

I... have used my wife's Android a bit and know how to use it better than she does. Widgets can be nice sometimes... but usually just end up taking up space. I'd rather keep them icon sized if I can, and hot-updatable.

I think the Skype thing will happen, it's pretty inevitable with all the BB10 phones that'll need it.

Well, enjoy your Android! It's not a bad platform. It's just not... as good.
    Willard814 and doc_psk like this.
    02-19-12 05:28 AM
    By your own admission you still prefer the nuts and bolts that drive the Playbook. Sounds to me like you're more concerned about the power windows and heated seats than your are about the engine and drive train

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    02-19-12 05:29 AM
    We had a similar thread like this one yesterday that turned into a flamefest.

What I fail to understand is that why someone who is going to stop using the PB, comes here and writes a page of reasons, as if we asked you to tell us why you no longer want to use a PB, seriously we dont, and we dont care and give a damn.

Go play with your galaxy, all the shortcomings you have listed is well known, your post adds nothing other than smear PB with reviews from utter ignorance- this is why: just because the PB price fell,you decided to buy it knowing very well what its shortcomings were, and now you give us this lecture. And if you didnt do the research and went and bought the PB its your fault again....
    02-19-12 05:33 AM
    Judging by just a cursory glance of your 90+ posts, I get the impression you never were happy with the PB, and seemed to be comparing it to android at every opportunity. Enjoy your 'rrhoid.
    02-19-12 05:35 AM
    How much you are selling it for?
    02-19-12 05:40 AM
    There's no point in coming to a playbook forum and telling people you're ditching the playbook. If you want to leave just leave. It would be a better idea to just post this in an android forum instead. You would be more welcomed there.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-19-12 05:42 AM
    There's no point in coming to a playbook forum and telling people you're ditching the playbook. If you want to leave just leave. It would be a better idea to just post this in an android forum instead. You would be more welcomed there.

Unless he is extremely sad and willing to sell it for 75$ :-D
    Willard814, artie and BearSnout like this.
    02-19-12 05:44 AM
    you are just dead wrong on a few of those points. enjoy your android. I know I couldn't!
    Willard814 and recompile like this.
    02-19-12 05:45 AM
    what a complete waste of time post.....OP clearly has too much time on his or her hands ....I am too busy with my Playbook....
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-19-12 05:50 AM
    Some really typical Crackberry childish responses here form people who wouldn't know how to think about something objectively if they tried... although not unexpected I admit, given how the some here seem to react so erratically to anything said negative about the PlayBook, no matter what the context.

Screeched to a halt when you said "semi imminent" release of OS 2.0
    I think it clearly referred somewhat tounge-in-cheek to the ongoing delay.

By your own admission you still prefer the nuts and bolts that drive the Playbook. Sounds to me like you're more concerned about the power windows and heated seats than your are about the engine and drive train

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    No, i dont prefer the nuts and bolts... I just thought the multitasking swiping features were handled well and I got used to using it. Bit of a grand and sweeping statement from yourself considering that's all I said.

First bullet point is pretty much moot with 2.0, so you're not supposed to be mentioning it.

No it is not moot with 2.0, as in my opinion the PlayBook will not get the apps it needs to stay competitive, and the point was valid.

Well, enjoy your Android! It's not a bad platform. It's just not... as good.
    In some ways not, but overall I have to say it is indeed better for my uses.

We had a similar thread like this one yesterday that turned into a flamefest.

What I fail to understand is that why someone who is going to stop using the PB, comes here and writes a page of reasons, as if we asked you to tell us why you no longer want to use a PB, seriously we dont, and we dont care and give a damn.

Go play with your galaxy, all the shortcomings you have listed is well known, your post adds nothing other than smear PB with reviews from utter ignorance- this is why: just because the PB price fell,you decided to buy it knowing very well what its shortcomings were, and now you give us this lecture. And if you didnt do the research and went and bought the PB its your fault again....
    Textbook aggressive fanboyism. I have a right as a PB owner to post what I posted, and if that bothers you to the extent it seems to in your post then I highly suggest that you get some perspective.

Judging by just a cursory glance of your 90+ posts, I get the impression you never were happy with the PB, and seemed to be comparing it to android at every opportunity. Enjoy your 'rrhoid.
    A cursory glance indeed.

What a silly thing to say, of course theres a point. I owned a PlayBook, this is a PlayBook forum, I have as much right to post here as anyone who is happy with their PLayBook. If you or the other s dont like it, then tough... ignore it and dont reply to the thread... not so hard is it? Ahh wait, seems it is.

you are just dead wrong on a few of those points. enjoy your android. I know I couldn't!
    Which points exactly, and why?
    Last edited by Richdog-; 02-19-12 at 06:14 AM.
    02-19-12 05:58 AM

And it is posts like this that make me not like being on the crackberry forums as much as I could. The OP was fair, eloquent and calm. Its a forum for goodness sake - its for opinion on BB products (specifically the PB). There's always an element that can't bear any criticism of their precious products in case they get buyers remorse.
    "we don't care and give a damn" - well you don't speak for me, don't read it then. The childish arrogance and defensiveness on this forum sometimes appalls me. I care what the OP had to say, and they said it well. It is opinion, opinion varies and makes the world interesting.

I have the PB, I like it - but some of the OPs points are valid, I appreciate hearing I'm not the only one thinking these things. I played with my bosses android tab yesterday and did like the customisability. Skype is causing me issues too as the majority of people I know use it and I'm not going to get them to use something else easily. I doubt PB will ever get the number of apps as other platforms - it matters not to me, but it does to some.

Look up "forum" sometime - and realise the OP does not need permission to post their thoughts about the PB - especially when it is written calmly and informatively. Criticism is useful. Opinion has value.

Looking forward to OS 2
    Last edited by Daeve; 02-19-12 at 06:09 AM.
    02-19-12 06:06 AM
    Lol Fareals people needa stop getting butthurt over someones opinions
    Last edited by baysed408; 02-19-12 at 06:13 AM.
    speedypear and iceroadman like this.
    02-19-12 06:11 AM
    And it is posts like this that make me not like being on the crackberry forums as much as I could. The OP was fair, eloquent and calm. Its a forum for goodness sake - its for opinion on BB products (specifically the PB). There's always an element that can't bear any criticism of their precious products in case they get buyers remorse.
    "we don't care and give a damn" - well you don't speak for me, don't read it then. The childish arrogance and defensiveness on this forum sometimes appalls me. I care what the OP had to say, and they said it well. It is opinion, opinion varies and makes the world interesting.

I have the PB, I like it - but some of the OPs points are valid, I appreciate hearing I'm not the only one thinking these things. I played with my bosses android tab yesterday and did like the customisability. Skype is causing me issues too as the majority of people I know use it and I'm not going to get them to use something else easily. I doubt PB will ever get the number of apps as other platforms - it matters not to me, but it does to some.

Look up "forum" sometime - and realise the OP does not need permission to post their thoughts about the PB - especially when it is written calmly and informatively. Criticism is useful. Opinion has value.

Looking forward to OS 2
    You appear to be one of the level-headed minority that rear their head from time to time. Thanks.
    02-19-12 06:17 AM
    you're idea of customization is rooting. first off rooting isnt even meant to be done period. so thats a moot point right off the bat. 2ndly you can mutlitask extremely well on the playbook it just has to be on the plane or whatever its called and yes i get a sound go off when i get email sent to me. 3rdly i think its pretty stupid to purchase a new tablet on the month of the offical release of OS2.0. now im not saying this to defend the PlayBook just pointing out some very very glaring points out the rest is a matter of opinion i personally disagree and think RIM will eventually have all the big players on board. EA is already on board Rovio is on board so slowly they are coming. you didnt really think App Store and Andriod Market got all their devs over night did you? is App World taking longer than most would like of course cannot deny that. Enjoy your new tablet
    alnamvet68 and Willard814 like this.
    02-19-12 06:18 AM
    hum... so you're not going to even upgrade it to OS 2.0 just to try it out?

I didn't think so...
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-19-12 06:20 AM
    And it is posts like this that make me not like being on the crackberry forums as much as I could....
    "we don't care and give a damn" - well you don't speak for me, don't read it then.
    When i say we dont care, i do speak for the ones who put time and effort in making the PB experience better for the ones who come to the forums. Go look at my posts and you would know. Yes, we dont care for the ones who just makes unnecessary posts trying to trigger arguments, and this thread is one of them.

And yes, I am not speaking for you, you are in the minority here.
    02-19-12 06:22 AM
    i have ... a nexus 1, rooted. a sensation, an ipad2 in the house, several old winmo phones lying around. i love android, i really do, but am sick of the fragmentation, and unless you have a nexus device, getting software updates way too late.
    i wanted a good tablet, seriously looked at the tab, but i didn't feel their value, even with the 16 gig 10 for 450 bucks at costco. i didnt want something that huge. i also wanted something that i wouldnt feel paranoid if my 2 year old twins got a hold of it. did some research, and with the android apps coming, and the ability to root them into the playbook if they didnt, pretty much sold me. i have a $180 7" tablet with awesome specs, and sound that is way better than the ipad. it even fits into my pants pockets!
    my senny should get ICS soon, so i will be ok with my android fix.
    too be honest, the one reason i didnt get a pb earlier, was i thought that the ui was the same as regular bb's, and personally, i think that bb's are ugly. but i do miss the trackball of my n1.
    i might even buy a used bb to take around with me, so i can "bridge" it instead of wifi hotspotting it.
    the only thing that samsung has that i really miss is amoled screens, the new tab2 has it, but it isnt sold unlocked for tmo.
    02-19-12 06:24 AM
    Are we getting widgets with 2.0? I saw that the Bb10 mockup had some.
    02-19-12 06:29 AM

Textbook aggressive fanboyism. I have a right as a PB owner to post what I posted, and if that bothers you to the extent it seems to in your post then I highly suggest that you get some perspective.
    As you have the right to post, so do I, and I would suggest if you are so touchy and sensitive about your opinions then you should look at a different place to make posts as yours.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-19-12 06:32 AM
    Some really typical Crackberry childish responses here form people who wouldn't know how to think about something objectively if they tried... although not unexpected I admit, given how the some here seem to react so erratically to anything said negative about the PlayBook, no matter what the context.

What a silly thing to say, of course theres a point. I owned a PlayBook, this is a PlayBook forum, I have as much right to post here as anyone who is happy with their PLayBook. If you or the other s dont like it, then tough... ignore it and dont reply to the thread... not so hard is it? Ahh wait, seems it is.

It's probably the constant bashing that people are tired of seeing here. Yes, everyone has their own opinion and can post it here, but at the same time, a person could do a search and probably find the same complaints already stated several times over.

And again, the viewpoint of coming "HERE" and complaining instead of going to the Android side of the site and boasting the love for their tablet where there would be much more like minded people would seem to be the best way to go.

For example, I've stated before that I don't like "Apple" anything. I've tried them and don't like the flavor of their kool-aid. However, I have never gone on their website and posted anything negative toward their devices. I don't feel the need to explain anything to that community. I just prefer something different.
    02-19-12 06:33 AM
    I can see your point, but I find the android tablets laggy in comparison to the playbook. If you will truly miss the quality apps that aren't in the appworld then that's a good enough reason for me.... I don't get it though because how many apps would you want?

Even some authors are saying the PB is faster than android. The build and hardware quality of the PB is awesome in comparison to many other tablets.

Anyway, you pays your money and takes your chances..at least its not an ipad If you want my opinion, keep your playbook...you might go back to it I bought one before christmas and lost it to the daughter...Have had to buy another one just for me!
    Good luck dude!

And....why can't he post this thread on here. he is simply giving his reasons and opinions for why he wants to move to Android. There is nothing wrong with that.The issue here is that too many people are so pro-blackberry they even have special blackberry underpants and they are too keen to criticise anyone who doesn't share their opinion.
    Last edited by tinker2000; 02-19-12 at 06:39 AM.
    02-19-12 06:36 AM
    4 of the 5 "can't live" point I knew before buying this playbook. Googling a product before spending hundreds of dollars saves you from being 'sad' later Imo.

Btw, I suggest a specific 'sad' thread for all those who can't live with a playbook. Will be quite helpful to those who are looking to buy one. Since the negatives will be mentioned there, they can read and then decide. Will save quite a few from being sad
    02-19-12 06:37 AM
    You guys are wasting your time The OP is probably already gone to Android Central with his new tab.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-19-12 06:39 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD