Hi everyone,

Recently I've saved up quite a bit and have decided to use up some of that to (finally) get around buying another tablet.

I'm planning on picking up from Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 tomorrow, the specs look great and it's at a great price atm (and I think I can get a further discount of 50 if I trade in my BB Playbook...)

It's going to be sad, sure. I have had the PlayBook since Feb 2012 and it has been a great device, especially don't regret picking it up from the poor competition at the time. I'm going to miss the interface especially! (and I'm not looking forward to Samsung's ui, I might have to put stock add on their, but everything deserves a first chance...right?)

I'm just looking forward to having full Evernote functionality and a decent rss app lol! (not to mention spell check on android apps!)

I just want to say thanks to this community for being awesome and helping me out with getting to grips with the device/app development, you've been awesome!

Well, I'm still a proud owner of a Z10 so I won't be too far from BlackBerry yet, and hopefully BlackBerry Blend ends up being as awesome as Bridge was.

Farewell PlayBook...

Posted via CB10
    NRB likes this.
    02-24-15 06:36 PM
    I don't think anyone will fault you for moving on from the Playbook. Congrats for staying with it that long.
    02-24-15 06:39 PM
    pulling out Kleenex...so touchy..........LOL
    02-24-15 06:41 PM
    Don't blame you at all pal. BlackBerry has moved on, and frankly we will all have to as well. It is a 5 year old tablet, and nowadays, who keeps an iPad for 5 years?

Playbook was great for its time, but everyone has effectively abandoned it, so if it is not meeting your requirements nobody should feel shame for moving on.

I use my 4G LTE model every day, and it is a Beast of workhorse. But even I know that it's days are numbered. I love the size, the speakers and the UI. Only Bridge and BlackBerry Balance and most importantly, it's ability to show a cursor on screen when paired to my bluetooth mouse, keeps me loyal.

My hats off to you! Enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 08:09 PM
    Hi
    Thats a nice Tablet. Bell here in Canada has some had some good deals low entry price and low monthly for data, gives the SIM slot as well. I have the Tab 4 8inch. I don't see buying another Android tablet . Unless it's dual boot Win 8 /10 . WinTel dumped some cheap tablets in the game and they do a pretty good job.
    02-24-15 10:37 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I liked the PB, and still have mine somewhere, but have since moved on, as it couldn't do what I needed, so understand the having to let it go.... however, being completely serious-I'm surprised you can get 50 for it for a trade-in. Don't think you can even get that trying to sell it.

Posted via CB 10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-24-15 10:52 PM
    I will stay a BlackBerry user always

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 05:49 AM
    being completely serious-I'm surprised you can get 50 for it for a trade-in. Don't think you can even get that trying to sell it.
    Funny, as that was my reaction as well to the post. Seems like a great deal if you can get it. If you are a little tech inclined, OP I would look at potentially installing the main Android interface instead of the Samsung "cleaned" interface. Do some research before you do, as it is a matter of choice.
    02-25-15 11:59 AM
    Only BlackBerry is how I travel. Unlike others probably, I researched and made a decision to buy, and stay with the PB for my needs. Everything else is covered with ever so amazing Z30. Again, it's me, and I don't knock anyone else on their choices.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 04:40 PM
    Nah, can't blame ya. I am still able to use sideloaded Evernote OK on PB so far. If I lost Evernote I'd be with ya.
    02-25-15 04:51 PM
    I'm amazed a lot have hung on for this long!

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-25-15 04:53 PM
    I'm still rocking the LTE PlayBook and I see no reason to stop. My windows pc and Z30 do most of my work but the PlayBook still does what I need it to. Love that little guy.

BTW to the guy who said it's a five year old tablet.... well technically it's not even 4 yet and the LTE PlayBook isn't even 3!!

Powered by Z30
    edwinsberry likes this.
    02-25-15 05:12 PM
    This is a lesson in becoming too attached to a brand.

The Playbook was actually an outstanding device, and BlackBerry had a shot at establishing a new ecosystem. They mismanaged the launch in many different ways, but most importantly they ensured its failure by pricing it on par with the already-established iPad. It was arrogant, and that mismanagement didn't just hobble their tablet, it affected BlackBerry's very credibility.

FWIW, I went through a few different tablets when I began to outgrow my PlayBook. My first attempt was Windows RT, and it wasn't bad but it was unwieldy and heavy compared to the PB and the ecosystem wasn't any better (at the time at least, possibly worse). I later got a Dell Venue 8 Pro, which was only a little larger than the Playbook, and at least could run full Windows apps, but performance was kind of meh.

I finally wound up on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, and I've been EXTREMELY happy with it. With BB Blend it turns out to be a fantastic partner for my Passport.
    FlagshipFighter likes this.
    02-25-15 05:26 PM
    I just said this in another thread, but I recently lost my 16GB Playbook (really p*sses me off), and, after some research, and for the current price of replacing a Playbook, I STILL couldn't find a better value for my money and needs. The BlackBerry Bridge/bluetooth Internet sharing was a tragically underrated feature IMHO that could have sold not just a lot of Playbooks but a lot of BlackBerry smartphones had it been marketed correctly; there still isn't anything out there to trump this feature IMHO.

So I bought a 64GB Playbook for $85 (included shipping and a case)
    edwinsberry likes this.
    02-28-15 07:47 AM
    Take solace in knowing that you will always have the memories. I burned mine and put the ashes in a beautiful cremation urn...well, more like a Molson's beer bottle, really...
    Last edited by SeeBeeEss; 02-28-15 at 08:22 AM.
    02-28-15 08:01 AM
    I have been looking too. I have used this tablet everyday since a short while after it came out. This is my second one. I have enjoyed it, however it could of been more functional at its birth and received the necessary support to have corrected its short comings. When they ceased with the support for the device, I lost my interest in Blackberry devices. Mine still functions, but the gradual deminishing of its utility from loss of apps is forcing me to consider a change. There never were a lot of good apps, just half baked ones with limited useability. That was one of its downfalls. So I certainly understand. I would not a buy a new tablet from Blackberry.
    03-18-15 06:22 AM
    I got a playbook xmas 2012, loved it, got the z10 July 13 and playbook got less attention. I know have, a passport and the pb is hardly used, apart from as a Web browser, sometimes you need a big screen ( I never use my laptop anymore! ) and as a music player. Until it won't turn on I can't see me replacing it, if I want an app I use my phone as it's more portable.

Swiped on my beautiful Passport!
    03-22-15 03:49 AM
    The PlayBook was an outstanding product with an exceptional UI for its time.
    03-22-15 09:50 PM
    On Playbook in general, it is very unwise for BB to let PB slowly die like this. One looses confidence in buying any BB. OK, BB10 won't run. But at least keep PB browsing tools up to date. The beauty of PB. Was it could access anything. It is slowly dying with neglect. Quality via hdmi is amazing....even at 4 years old.. None better. Chen is forcing me to iOS or Android.
    mh1983 likes this.
    03-23-15 09:02 AM
    Chen is forcing me to iOS or Android.
    To be fair, Chen inherited the PB mess, not his fault and he had to scramble to save what was left...PB was already a lost cause when he stepped in. That being said, I agree that BBRY is forcing me to chose something else. Two years ago, the only choice for a work-supplied device was a Blackberry phone. I got a Z10 and while it's been a decent device, I've had my share of issues with it along the way. Two years is up on my contract, and I think I'll be going to iOS next at work (now that we are given a choice). Every platform has it's quirks, but given the device choices at the moment at work, I think the iPhone is simply the better option. Tablet? For my own use, I think nothing (for me) beats an MS Surface. Price? Yeaaaah, but in terms of functionality and having more future use, it would be the choice I would make.
    mh1983 and PTZ like this.
    03-23-15 03:02 PM
    I am still bitterly clinging but I see the day coming soon when I will be back to a feature phone and a laptop.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 01:56 PM