Went into PC world today to pick up a 64GB Playbook so my son can have my old 16GB model and got told something very interesting by the store manager. The Wifi Playbook is being discontinued to be replaced by a new model in the near future. He had no idea when the new model was coming but his guess was after Christmas. So I would say the 4G Playbook is coming to the UK very soon.
    10-30-12 08:02 AM
    Sounds like he was roughly as clueless as everyone else is at this point. I don't believe anything I hear from retail stores regarding unannounced products.
    10-30-12 08:03 AM
    Maybe the retail salesclerk meant the LTE version of the BlackBerry Tablet.
    10-30-12 08:17 AM
    Well, it would make sense for them to drop a Wifi-only version of the 4G tab, even if only to bump up the processor to 1.5GHz.

Lacking 4G, they still work extremely well with existing BB phones.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    10-30-12 08:19 AM
    Well, it would make sense for them to drop a Wifi-only version of the 4G tab, even if only to bump up the processor to 1.5GHz.

Lacking 4G, they still work extremely well with existing BB phones.
    Then I guess I won't be giving up my 64g wifi version, why pay for a plan when I can use my bridge.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    10-30-12 08:51 AM
    Maybe if BB10 is a success they'll release a new tablet, but considering how much the Playbook tanked in sales I can't see them releasing a follow-up anytime soon. There's a reason they're clearing out stock for $150.
    10-30-12 09:07 AM
    When I was at the Blackberry Enterprise Forum a few weeks ago they confirmed that there will be a new Tablet in 2013 but gave no details as to when are what it will look like. By April 2013 the current Playbook will be 2 years old, so very long in the tooth by technology standards. I don't think it is a matter of "if" but "when". I would be surprised if we saw something before Christmas. My guess is that it will release with BB10 loaded so probably not before Q2, at the earliest.
    10-30-12 12:57 PM
    When I was at the Blackberry Enterprise Forum a few weeks ago they confirmed that there will be a new Tablet in 2013 but gave no details as to when are what it will look like. By April 2013 the current Playbook will be 2 years old, so very long in the tooth by technology standards. I don't think it is a matter of "if" but "when". I would be surprised if we saw something before Christmas. My guess is that it will release with BB10 loaded so probably not before Q2, at the earliest.
    Really, confirmed? I'm shocked something like this didn't make the front page of CB. Confirming a new product is usually a pretty big deal.
    10-30-12 01:06 PM
    RIM's roadmap already shows a 10" PlayBook. It is code named "Blackforest' and is expected to be released next year. There have been a good number of discussions in the Forum since the roadmap first appeared.

As for the original comment, we’ve heard that RIM is not producing 16s anymore but I am surprised that 32s or 64s are not available. I would suggest they are more sold out than discontinued but that is simply my guess.
    10-30-12 01:34 PM
    "By April 2013 the current Playbook will be 2 years old, so very long in the tooth by technology standards."

If that's true; Apple, Google, Amazon, and B&N have recently released 7-8 inch tables that also will be "long in the tooth" in less than six months.

The PB's hardware specs still match up very well against those of the tablets referenced in the above sentence.

And the PB's OS has evolved over the past two years. This OS. in its current form, works very well in the opinion of many of its owners.

In 2005, a 1960s era, well maintained, Mercedes may have been "long in the tooth" compared to a brand new Yugo. That said, very few knowledgeable observers would prefer the newer car over the Mercedes.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    10-30-12 01:50 PM
    all that was said was the original is being discontinued and a replacement is due at some time in the future. My guess is that they will bring the spec of the wifi unit inline with that of the LTE model for any future production runs.
    10-30-12 01:53 PM
    He was confused like most "Retail Experts" and probably ment the ipad mini but can always hope for BlackForrest.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    10-30-12 01:55 PM
    10" iPad to 7" iPad............7" Playbook to 10" Playbook.........hmmm
    10-30-12 02:24 PM
    10" iPad to 7" iPad............7" Playbook to 10" Playbook.........hmmm
    HaHa. I still think the 7" is the best size for mobility.
    RocPlayr likes this.
    10-30-12 02:26 PM
    They are still in stock in the Manchester shops. Try their web site for other shops.

Black Forest! What a daft name. How long will it take before the anti-RIM sites start liking it to a Black Forest Gateau?

Now if they had me and my teddy bears in their Naming Department we would have gone for Onyx. That's because we have class.

And still...this is the very best forum for Playbook Lovers. Do you think they'll ever bring out a BedBook?

10-30-12 02:27 PM
    Went into PC world today to pick up a 64GB Playbook so my son can have my old 16GB model and got told something very interesting by the store manager. The Wifi Playbook is being discontinued to be replaced by a new model in the near future. He had no idea when the new model was coming but his guess was after Christmas. So I would say the 4G Playbook is coming to the UK very soon.
    I've worked in retail, and I can say with authority that of all the people who have solid, specific knowledge of a new product, the front-line grunts are the very, VERY last to know. And the best reps know better than to speculate on new product, because that becomes an excuse for the customer to put off buying.
    10-30-12 02:32 PM
    Yep and the vodaphone guy told me there are new blackberry phones coming out running android
    10-31-12 06:42 AM
    Yep and the vodaphone guy told me there are new blackberry phones coming out running android
    Well, if Rim follows the PB example, then bb10 may also be able to run Android apps like the current pb.
    10-31-12 08:55 AM
    I can't wait for the "Blackforest" 128gb?! 10 inch?
    10-31-12 12:29 PM
    If there was any solid intel on a new playbook, it would be on this site first. This is the epicentre of the playbook world.
    10-31-12 01:12 PM
    True. and I want to share with you this ad published on the New York times proving that a new playbook is coming its way:

[Rumour] New Playbook coming-bbrises.jpg
    whitbags likes this.
    10-31-12 01:26 PM
    A new playbook with better processor was released months ago... Ugh...
    10-31-12 03:28 PM
    HaHa. I still think the 7" is the best size for mobility.
    Agreed. In another 5 years you can expect to see smartphones / tablets with a 48 core processor that will run circles around today's desktop PC's.

Source:

Intel is creating a 48-core chip for smartphones and tablets | canada.com
    10-31-12 06:21 PM
    In 2005, a 1960s era, well maintained, Mercedes may have been "long in the tooth" compared to a brand new Yugo. That said, very few knowledgeable observers would prefer the newer car over the Mercedes.
    True, which is why this analogy doesn't fit the situation. Percentage wise, the people that would pick the Yugo there is likely in the single digits; tablet preferences aren't nearly so clear. If you're asking here on CrackBerry, the PlayBook wins against pretty much anything, but outside of RIM fan sites that's probably not the case. Meanwhile, the Mercedes of your analogy probably wins even on "yugo_I_go.com" or whatever the Yugo fan sites are.
    10-31-12 06:33 PM
    summer 2013...look for the 10 inch tablet playbook, Blackforest.
    10-31-12 06:36 PM