I would love to see if Apple can come up with a premium 7" iPad, that the masses would want, at a price that is both appealing and profitable. I don't think they can. Remember when everyone said that Apple needed to make a cheap netbook? It never made sense from a business perspective, and Apple never did it. I think the 7" tablet is the same thing.

We can check back in a year and discuss it over virtual drinks and see who was right.
    Apple won't put out a 7" tablet. Jobs hated the idea. The idea that a tab size should be somewhere between a cellphone and a laptop was something all the non-Apple device makers came up with.

4.6 million iOS device activations on X-Mas day alone.

7" won't happen.
    12-30-11 10:23 PM
    Not saying a 7" ipad would happen but really i dont see why not lol they wana put as many i devices in peoples hands and the ipads are as portable as a laptop pretty much so i dunno i could see it happening..
    12-30-11 10:54 PM
    Not saying a 7" ipad would happen but really i dont see why not lol they wana put as many i devices in peoples hands and the ipads are as portable as a laptop pretty much so i dunno i could see it happening..
    Let me try to explain why it is a bad idea:

Cost: It does not seem to cost companies significantly less money to build a 7" over a 10" tab. The same internals have to be there, increasing engineering costs to keep the design clean and control the thermals in a smaller package. They may save a few dollars, but not much. I think early competitors tried the 7" size, in part, because Apple was eating up all of the decent 9.7" panels.

Price: We are also learning from manufacturers that it is very difficult to price a 7" tab low enough to make consumers choose it over a 10". I believe consumers really want the bigger tab. They have to be enticed by price to compromise. Notice, though, that full-featured 7"ers always seem to cost as much as their 10" counterparts.

Profitability: When you put one and two together, you get a poor business proposition. By lowering the price for a 7" tab more than what you get in cost savings, you lose profit. There are no 7" tabs selling in mass numbers that are not sold at or near loss. Period! on the flip side, Apple is making a ton of profit on EVERY iPad starting at $499. What possible incentive do they have for undercutting their profit machine with something that people are not clamoring for, and will lose them money? As I said before, there is no evidence people want small tablets; they only want cheap tablets.

To a bigger point, there is still no such thing as a tablet market. There is only an iPad market. We are still waiting for a competitor with any sized tab to prove that consumers want something else, and are willing to pay profitable prices for it.
    12-31-11 07:39 AM
    Everyone know if the Black Forest will be a new tablet or only a bigger playbook with same software and hardware? Please answer me because i don't know if buy playbook on sale now or attend for Black Forest

Thanks
    Please help me
    12-31-11 07:54 AM
    Please help me
    Have not heard anything about it. Check the News&Rumors subforum a bit further up the forum list.
    12-31-11 10:03 AM
    What do you guys think the price of the tablet would be?
    12-31-11 04:00 PM
81 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD