Whilst costing the same as a small car.
    It's Apple - people will buy it.
    12-29-11 11:29 AM
    Whereby "people" you mean those not part of the group that have allowed MS to hold 85% of the PC market and those not part of the group that have made Android the #1 smartphone OS.

In other words, as excuses for RIM go (and this is an excuse), it's a poor one.
    soccernamlak likes this.
    12-29-11 11:36 AM
    not a big deal. it will not happen at $199. Apple logo is $199 and there is cost of hardware,software,min 30% markup....it just not going to happen at $199 from the fruit company from California
    It's not going to happen from the fruit company in Waterloo, either. At least, not profitably.

If recent surveys are correct, RIM people will buy them too. What's your point?

How did a nice rumor thread about a new PB become an Apple bashing session?
    12-29-11 12:09 PM

How did a nice rumor thread about a new PB become an Apple bashing session?
    Welcome to CrackBerry, you must be new here. Anything with the fruit of the devil is a product of the devil himself, forged in Chinese prison camps bought with monopolistic blood money, shipped over the tears of the weak and poor, and sold in the US at new car prices in order to facilitate the financial slaughter of the sheep who buy them: devices that are tracked more heavily than by the CIA, are as open as the Post Office who delivered them on Christmas Day, and have amassed an app store with 99.999% fart apps priced what other phones cost.

And Android blows too, just not as bad. Because they're open and on different manufacturers or something like that....Oh, and forget WinMo; I mean seriously with that market percentage? Lol.

On topic, a 10" PlayBook would definitely fit into the current Tablet market instead of the ultra portable tablet market the PlayBook attempted to fill. It definitely makes a better multimedia device at that size. But I'd rather RIM focus on BB10 phones than new tablets. The PlayBook is hardware capable and still strong: push out OS2.0 and focus on the phones IMO.
    BlazorBoy and Thunderbuck like this.
    12-29-11 12:32 PM
    [Apple Reportedly Buying Up 8-inch Touchscreens to Build Smaller iPads | Techland | TIME.com
    LOL:
    Perhaps they are planning to make an iPhone that compete with the BB OS10 QNX phones
    12-29-11 01:05 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry, you must be new here. Anything with the fruit of the devil is a product of the devil himself, forged in Chinese prison camps bought with monopolistic blood money, shipped over the tears of the weak and poor, and sold in the US at new car prices in order to facilitate the financial slaughter of the sheep who buy them: devices that are tracked more heavily than by the CIA, are as open as the Post Office who delivered them on Christmas Day, and have amassed an app store with 99.999% fart apps priced what other phones cost.

And Android blows too, just not as bad. Because they're open and on different manufacturers or something like that....Oh, and forget WinMo; I mean seriously with that market percentage? Lol.

On topic, a 10" PlayBook would definitely fit into the current Tablet market instead of the ultra portable tablet market the PlayBook attempted to fill. It definitely makes a better multimedia device at that size. But I'd rather RIM focus on BB10 phones than new tablets. The PlayBook is hardware capable and still strong: push out OS2.0 and focus on the phones IMO...
    What a refreshingly balanced post.

I'm not big on the partisan bashing, either. I like RIM's products, use them, and feel they benefit from the competition they face. Apple has a fantastic design ethic, and Google has produced a very feature-rich platform with Android; I hope RIM can learn from both and keep their products competitive.

On topic (again), since a 10" tablet likely wouldn't have any different features from the 7", I don't see a huge problem with it being offered; I doubt it would detract much from the effort to produce BB10 phones. And it might well be a worthwhile revenue stream if they can rehabilitate their tablets with the 2.0 upgrade.
    12-29-11 01:46 PM
    LOL:
    Perhaps they are planning to make an iPhone that compete with the BB OS10 QNX phones
    Apple trying to compete with a non existent BB? Something tells me BB10 doesn't have anybody quaking in their boots..
    12-29-11 02:22 PM
    Apple trying to compete with a non existent BB? Something tells me BB10 doesn't have anybody quaking in their boots..
    Sadly, I am having to agree with this post. Everyother smart phone builder is calling BB's bluff. Fell too far behind. And with out support of the more popular comm apps like skype, they are doing so right fully. No phone with a front facing cam. The playbook doesn't count, , dell put out a similar tablet as playbook (the latter which I have) and see how quickly that died. Unless rim can follow through ahead, scratch that, WAAAY ahead of schedule...well then, no one is going to be bothere by a lacking intimidation factor
    12-29-11 03:10 PM
    (8.9 inches) "that's what she said"
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    12-29-11 04:22 PM
    i customized my 9810!

it's now all black and copper!

looks good - unrelated to anything except how excited i am about my 9810's "new look"
    12-29-11 05:36 PM
    They are going to make an 11 inch! Our Playbooks go to 11!
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    12-29-11 09:30 PM
    If they are going to do another "run" of playbooks switching to a larger size screen shouldn't be much of an expense. It's like running your pc on a bigger screen. The hardware running it is the same and the OS is the same. Bigger battery maybe.
    12-29-11 10:27 PM
    I'd buy a 10" PlayBook. 8.9 is also a nice size, played with the Sammy yesterday, feels nice.

Qnx is so much nicer than Honeycomb. Android has crap everywhere!
    12-29-11 11:55 PM
    Maybe the rumor is true...and it stirs up more clientele for the iPads
    12-30-11 12:41 AM
    ... Within OS 2.0 LTE icons were found, and 1280 x 768 images were found, if u extrapulate that out to a screen with the same pixel density it works out to suggest that the screen would be about 8.9 inches diagonally rather than the current 7 inches.
    The folks who have played with Colt would chime in with a different conclusion here.
    12-30-11 01:02 AM
    this sounds VERY weak...
    12-30-11 07:54 AM
    Everyone know if the Black Forest will be a new tablet or only a bigger playbook with same software and hardware? Please answer me because i don't know if buy playbook on sale now or attend for Black Forest

Thanks
    12-30-11 08:34 AM
    its not rumor to me, 10inch playbook is true. I heard it from my close friends working for RIM. The project is in NPI stage, if you're familiar in manufacturing, you'll know what I mean.
    The New Product Introduction stage (NPI) Is how all products go from a concept to the the consumer and that process as a tell tale step.

Component Procurement!!!

So it should be easy to find out if the Playbook 10. whatever is in the pipe line.

Texas Instruments are all over the Playbook motherboard they supply most of the components.

so just check out what they are selling to Rim and when and you will have a likely time frame.

My guess is it will some time yet or it was a very well kept secret!
    12-30-11 10:42 AM
    I wonder what the price will be of this new playbook? Same as the first one was when released at 499.99 and up? Or maybe higher? Or maybe if we were extremely lucky, it could match the current price at 199 . I would deffinately make an exchange, since I bought my playbook 2 days ago
    12-30-11 05:29 PM
    I wonder what the price will be of this new playbook? Same as the first one was when released at 499.99 and up? Or maybe higher? Or maybe if we were extremely lucky, it could match the current price at 199 . I would deffinately make an exchange, since I bought my playbook 2 days ago
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if they introduce a 10" PB, they will drop the 7". I will go even further out and say that there is simply no market for any 7" tablet. Here is why I believe this:

The KF is the first 7" tab/thing that is selling in volume. Why? Because it's cheap. When the TP dropped to $99, and even $199 and $299 on ebay, it sold like crazy and became the #2 tablet behind the iPad. It was practically a KIRF of the iPad form. It was even slightly heavier than the original iPad. It was so close to the original iPad that it fit quite nicely in the Apple case. Shrinking the size was not required, just shrinking the price.

The KF is 7", not because it is the perfect size, but because it costs less to make than a 10". It has been strongly rumored that Amazon is working on a 10" model. Heck, RIM was working on a 10" model early on. They simply decided to postpone the project. Nothing suggests the masses want a small tablet. Everything points to the fact that the masses want a cheap tablet.

7"ers are rather awkward because they are still too expensive to build. The prices can't come down enough to make them attractive to customers and remain profitable. Even Amazon is having to sell every unit at a loss.

You can test the market for 7" tabs with this thought experiment: Offer a 10" PB next to the 7" PB for the same price, $199. What percentage of 7"ers did you sell? Right. Further, take all 7" tabs currently available and sell them for $199. Now, offer the iPad 2 for $199. What will you do with all those unsold 7" tabs? Answer, you will drop the price to $49, then promptly go out of business. Why? Because people do not want 7" tabs; they want cheap tabs.

If RIM can produce and sell a 10" PB for a profitable amount, they will not need the albatross of a 7" money loser to have to deal with. Just my opinion.
    thecamper156 likes this.
    12-30-11 06:59 PM
    I might like the idea of a 10 inch tablet if I did not want it to be portable and easily held in one hand. 10 inches will be too large to be portable but I can imagine that eventually the component weight will be reduced to make then quite light in a few years. And maybe with that will come the foldable tablet so portable and light and larger.

I believe there is a place for both sizes. All I think rim proved was if you misread the market in terms of feature-set you will sell fewer tablets and that may not be solely read as an indictment of size. While I'm not interested in the apple world, I can almost bet that they'd clean up with a 7 inch tablet.
    12-30-11 07:37 PM
    F2, I certainly understand that there will always be some who prefer a smaller size. I'm just not sure that there is enough to have a profitable, sustainable market. Given the choice, I think most would choose the larger size at the same price. That holds true in just about all kinds of electronics.

When the iPad was first introduced, no one thought that a 10" device was large, let alone, not portable. People are perfectly happy lugging 7 lb., 15" notebooks around in the name of portability. When did a 10", 1.3 lb. device stop being small and portable?

On the flip side, 7" netbooks were always considered too small to be functional. Now, we have removed the hardware keyboard and made them less functional. The screens are still too small for comfortable web and document viewing, but all of a sudden, the 7" screen is the perfect size? When did that happen? I don't think either event ever really happened at all. I think the size issue originated as a talking point against the iPad by competitors who had nothing else to offer. While it is true that some liked the 7" netbook, netbooks had grown to 12" before they died as a category.

Time may prove me wrong. But so far, we have yet to see a real 7" tab that is profitable, and a mass market success.
    12-30-11 08:14 PM
    I think Rim/others may also be running into - well, a 10inch costs X dollars. So anything smaller that costs the same or similar is a ripoff. Screen quality and other issues are easy to ignore.

But when apple comes out with its 7 incher, we shall see what's what.
    12-30-11 10:01 PM
    I think Rim/others may also be running into - well, a 10inch costs X dollars. So anything smaller that costs the same or similar is a ripoff. Screen quality and other issues are easy to ignore.

But when apple comes out with its 7 incher, we shall see what's what.
    I would love to see if Apple can come up with a premium 7" iPad, that the masses would want, at a price that is both appealing and profitable. I don't think they can. Remember when everyone said that Apple needed to make a cheap netbook? It never made sense from a business perspective, and Apple never did it. I think the 7" tablet is the same thing.

We can check back in a year and discuss it over virtual drinks and see who was right.
    12-30-11 10:08 PM
    Currently it seems Toshiba is in a quandary in marketing its new 7" tab @379 versus the 10" Thrive @399. Both tablets look similar, have the honeycomb 3.2 and assorted usb ports/sd slots....which to choose could be a problem if pricing remains close.
    12-30-11 10:15 PM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD